Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New AM series Guitar?
BillB1960
#36 Posted : 2/25/2008 5:18:08 PM

Groups: Member
AlbertG wrote:

I recall a time when AMF Company bought and subsequently f***ked up Harley Davidson motorcyles....thank God Harley had the courage and the backing to resume control of the company and save the brand...truly a success story. I wonder if descendants of the Ibanez family would be interested in acquiring the semi-hollow business from Hoshino...and actually market the products effectively...???!!!

Uh, yeah. Harley Davidson certainly is a success story however leave us not forget they had just a little help from the government who was kind enough to slap a healthy tariff on any motorcycle imported into the US over 700cc which just happens to be H-D's bread and butter. Maybe we should call it a success story for the lobbying industry.
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
Brian
#40 Posted : 2/25/2008 8:36:57 PM
Brian

Spencer4hire wrote:
I am fortunate to have this AM77.

I would not own an AM series guitar if my only choices would have been DPB or fugly Flat Black. With that being said if Ibanez would offer a Artcore Custom AM guitar or even a nice flametop version I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Spencer nice axe there dude! This is a pretty decent finish!
Brian

rraguse
#44 Posted : 2/25/2008 8:44:23 PM
rraguse

Man
Damn Spencer you have some nice guitars. You, Rusty and everyone else that has an AM77 is fortunate. I am very happy with my beautiful "Dog Poo Brown" AM73. I feel fortunate to have a DPB otherwise I wouldn't have one at all, well a new one anyway. It's a fine guitar and in a few weeks my AM will have a blue buddy and Dottie will be on her way to Kansas City.

Does anyone else name their guitars or am I the only weirdo in this Forum that does?

I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
BuppieJax
#47 Posted : 2/26/2008 2:19:49 AM
BuppieJax

Hangin with co-workers or friends at a gig or open I've oft times been refered to as the coolest guy in the room. Not the best or brightest but definitely the coolest. But Nebula Black...the coldness of space, man that is cold chillin', chillun!! Brrrrr!!! Hey S4H, stay frosty, babe! Why, that guitar...my god, it's full of stars...
BuppieJax attached the following image(s):
BuppieJax attached the following image(s): S4H BlkNebulaAM77.jpg
Brian
#48 Posted : 2/26/2008 6:28:42 AM
Brian

In the spirit of keeping this thread on topic and friendly I deleted a few posts. Call it self censorship! Anyway Rusty I was upset with the flat back mainly because YOU fought so hard to get more finish options for the AM73. Bythe way did you get your Gibson?
Brian

Oakland
#53 Posted : 2/26/2008 4:26:01 PM

Heritage makes a smaller bodied semi too. It's intermediate in price between Ibanez and Gibson. Limited color choices, but nice ones.
Oakland
#54 Posted : 2/26/2008 5:22:46 PM

As does Eastman.

There are some good choices other than a Gibson
AlbertG
#55 Posted : 2/27/2008 2:33:13 PM
AlbertG

Man
...and even more impetus for Ibanez to step-up manufacturing/marketing of the AM73...

...check out the thread "My New ES 339 Build Quality" at www.gibson-talk.com...

Almost every new ES-339 owner on the thread bashes their new 339 guitar for multiple quality issues!!!

...Very much confirms my findings last Fall when comparing the AS73/AM73 to two new ES-335s...no contest in the "value" or performance department...Let's see, I could have bought one ES-335 or "six" AS73s...hmmm...no brainer there...

Don't get me wrong....I don't want to see Gibson go down...but I don't mind giving them a cold slap wake-up call to improve quality and lower prices...they're making US manufacturing look bad...just like the US auto manufacturers in the 70s and 80s!!!

BTW -- Anyone want to buy a "as new" LP Classic Honeyburst and/or a transparent emerald green LP Special with P-100s??...both circa 2001/2002...frets aren't even broke-in yet...not a scratch on either guitar...I just can't wait for them to become museum pieces...I won't live that long!!! I need the bucks to fund the purchase of "several" new guitars I actually want to play!

Is the 339 evidence of a fat, happy, complacent Gibson???...and this is a "custom" shop guitar...scary...

WAKE UP IBANEZ...SOS...SEND US AM73 OPTIONS...ASAP...!!!

Let the replies roll....this is way too much fun folks...
rraguse
#58 Posted : 2/27/2008 7:30:19 PM
rraguse

Man
AlbertG wrote:
...and even more impetus for Ibanez to step-up manufacturing/marketing of the AM73...

Ok I'll get on-board this train. I'd like to have an Artcore/Artist collection of the following:

1 Dog Poo Brown AM73...since I already have one
1 AS93...as soon as the weather improves...don't want a nice guitar being shipped around in sub-freezing weather.
1 Transparent Cherry Burst AM103
1 Transparent Blue Burst AM93
1 AM200 AV...Don't think I have an arm and leg for this one. I wouldn't be able to play the other guitars in my collection.

And Just so I would have one Solid Body to hang out with Lester,

1 GAX70 White so I would have a decent good looking guitar to perform "Frankenstein" experiments on. And that would be Fronkensteen...just ask Gene Wilder
Jason43
#59 Posted : 2/27/2008 7:49:45 PM
Jason43

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
rraguse wrote:

Ideally, I would love for Ibanez to reissue that guitar. But after seeing the price of the AR300re, just give me a MIC AM with a nice amberburst finish, so I can actually afford to buy one. I'll take care of the hardware and electronics upgrades.
1998 Ibanez Artist AR700
1983 Ibanez Artist AM50
2004 Ibanez Artcore AM77
1985 Ibanez Pro Line PL1770
Custom made doubleneck

rraguse
#57 Posted : 2/27/2008 7:49:47 PM
rraguse

Man
AlbertG wrote:

Almost every new ES-339 owner on the thread bashes their new 339 guitar for multiple quality issues!!!

I checked this out...ouch!!!...Rusty has not really said much about her ES-339 except she prefers her one of only two AM77's shipped to the US.

There were very few issues with my AM73...one very minor finish blemish and just a little tweaking. I installed a Gotoh 510 Locking Bridge but that's it. I am perfectly satisfied with it.

When my AS93 arrives, I'll put set screws in the OEM bridge so it locks onto the posts. Maybe I'm over optimistic but I expect the same of my new AS as with my AM. Besides, my dealer will thoroughly inspect it before calling me to let me know it has arrived.

BillB1960
#56 Posted : 2/27/2008 8:24:02 PM

AlbertG wrote:

...Very much confirms my findings last Fall when comparing the AS73/AM73 to two new ES-335s...no contest in the "value" or performance department...Let's see, I could have bought one ES-335 or "six" AS73s...hmmm...no brainer there...

Don't get me wrong....I don't want to see Gibson go down...but I don't mind giving them a cold slap wake-up call to improve quality and lower prices...they're making US manufacturing look bad...just like the US auto manufacturers in the 70s and 80s!!!

BTW -- Anyone want to buy a "as new" LP Classic Honeyburst and/or a transparent emerald green LP Special with P-100s??...both circa 2001/2002...frets aren't even broke-in yet...not a scratch on either guitar...I just can't wait for them to become museum pieces...I won't live that long!!! I need the bucks to fund the purchase of "several" new guitars I actually want to play!

Is the 339 evidence of a fat, happy, complacent Gibson???...and this is a "custom" shop guitar...scary...

I don't pretend to know the sales figures on the ES-339 but if you read that thread there are a whole 3 owners who have issues with the build quality of the 339. I'm not going to count setup issues because that's totally subjective. Having been an owner of both the AM-73 and the ES-339 I can tell you without question there is no contest when it comes to quality, not that the quality is necessarily bad on the AMs although mine was pi$$ poor but the Gibson is miles ahead. Sorry to burst your bubble but it's the truth.
Fender American Strat
Gibson ES-339
AlbertG
#60 Posted : 2/27/2008 8:37:02 PM
AlbertG

Man
Rraguse,

Who is your dealer and where are they located? So can you count on them to send you a good guitar, and not just whatever unit shows up from the factory? Please send me a PM if necessary.

I am reluctant to mail order for this reason...I just don't have enough experience with Ibanez guitars to know what percentage of guitars are "keepers". If I knew of a shop that had some stock and was willing to screen the better guitars for me, I would have more confidence doing the mail order thing. My local Ibanez "dealers" don't have any stock...usually 1 or 2 wall-hangers that get handled quite a bit. They'll order one...but it's luck of the draw...and they want a committment to whatever they receive. I am most concerned about: how the neck takes to truss rod adjustments (I like the action relatively low...neck almost straight); the fretwork; and the tone...cosmetics are nice but secondary.

I got lucky last fall with my first Ibanez, an AS73-TCH wall-hanger at a local dealer. I was in the shop working with their techs for about an hour to adjust the neck and bridge so I could determine if the guitar was a "player" and not just of piece of wood with paint and frets. It was a player...and I bought it. There was an AM73 TBR there also...but that particular guitar didn't play as well as the AS73 I purchased...if it had, I would have purchased the AM73 as well. They said they had another AM73 at a different store that they could transfer locally...in spite of several requests and follow-up on my part, they failed to get it done...frustrating...I would really like a good AM73 and an AR-series guitar...

Appreciate any info on dealers...

Thanks
Regards
AlbertG
#61 Posted : 2/27/2008 9:01:03 PM
AlbertG

Man
Hi BillB1960

I knew I'd get a rise out of you brother...I was expecting it...

Sorry you had a bad experience with the AM. It's just the way it is with all mass-produced guitars...good ones and bad ones. I'm sure there are some excellent 339's produced and I'm glad you have one.

Actually, I was looking for a 339 to try last Fall when I discovered the AS73/AM73 in the process. At that time, the 339 had not yet hit the stores...so I A-B'd against two 335s.

I do like the fret profile on the AS/AM73s better however...I think it makes a big difference in the neck feel...the Gibson frets are just too up & down...too abrupt a vertical profile...shoulders too square for my liking...for me its very apparent when I slide my hand up and down the neck...my finger tips bang against the frets instead of gliding over them...the same is true for my LPs...now if Gibson would just change their frets...it would be a big improvement... for me anyways.

You know...I just want to prod these manufacturers/dealers to do their best for a reasonable price...for the benefit of all...competition is a good thing...it results in some excellent products...

Regards
BillB1960
#62 Posted : 2/27/2008 10:38:11 PM

Let me expand a bit on this topic. When I was shopping for a semi-hollow guitar I went out and played several at local guitar shops. I tried both the AS-73 and the AM-73 as well as several other makes & models. (The ES-339 was not even out yet.) Overall the AM-73 seemed like the best choice, I liked the neck a lot although the frets are a little smaller than I like but overall it seemed like a very nice guitar. Fact is the neck profile on the AM is more like the Les Paul 60s neck than the "60/30" neck on the ES.

When I bought the guitar on evil Bay, my initial impression was very positive, the stock pickups sounded pretty decent, the fit & finish were fine and I enjoyed playing it. Now I had serious issues with mine so I made the decision to get rid of it since I just didn't enjoy playing it anymore. I still love the look & sound of a semi-hollow so I kept looking around. If Ibanez had seen fit to offer the AM in a couple of decent finishes I might've just bought another one but Gibson showed up with the ES-339 and since I already had a guitar with 57 Classic pickups which sound awesome IMO I had to check it out.

A Gibson "Custom Shop" guitar for under $2K is a bargain in most people's book and since it felt good and sounded great I got it. I don't regret it at all and the sounds I can get out of it make the AM sound anemic. Could I have bought another DPB or BPB AM, spent $$ upgrading it and still paid less than I did for the ES? Sure!! Would it ever have held it's value like my ES? Nope! Not in 2 lifetimes.

So, is the ES-339 a true "Custom Shop" guitar. I'd have to say no, it's a mass produced guitar just like most of the guitars in the world. Is it higher quality than the AM-73? Sure it is and I have no doubt it will be worth more in the long run than anything Ibanez (Samick) has ever pumped out of their factories in China. And those 57 Classics still ROCK!
Fender American Strat
Gibson ES-339
rraguse
#66 Posted : 2/29/2008 5:41:15 PM
rraguse

Man
I know this is nothing new but I am so proud of my Dog Poo Brown AM73 I just wanted to show it off again. Happy

Perhaps it is dull compared to the AM200 AV but "Carmen Ibanez" is just down right stunning compared to the new talf kcalb AM73. Glad I got mine when I did. Dance

Spencer4hire
#67 Posted : 2/29/2008 6:20:43 PM

Looks way nicer than Flat Black!
Jackson Guitars SLS, SLATQH, DK1 SLSMG ,DXMGT, DKMGT
<br />Charvel Guitars Traditional,CHS2,SC90 Surfcaster X2
<br />Ibanez guitars AM77, AF125NT, AW500, AS93, AFS78T
Tacoma Acoustics DM14E6,DR14,JR55
Jason43
#68 Posted : 2/29/2008 7:42:03 PM
Jason43

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Anyone tried adding gold hardware to their DPB AM73? I'm wondering if I wouldn't like that finish a little more with gold hardware.
1998 Ibanez Artist AR700
1983 Ibanez Artist AM50
2004 Ibanez Artcore AM77
1985 Ibanez Pro Line PL1770
Custom made doubleneck

BillB1960
#69 Posted : 3/2/2008 12:16:30 PM

Either Ibanez's marketing department is major league stupid or incredibly sly depending on what they do with the AM series in the next year or two. Gibson has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that a significant market exists for the smaller semi-hollow. They've augmented the CS-336 with the ES-339 which has knocked it out of the park, added a flamed model and are now producing the ES-359. If Ibanez doesn't come out with a high quality AM Custom in the $750-$900 price range with a couple of color choices then their heads are denser than the wood they make their guitars out of. If OTOH they're just keeping the AM series alive and building demand with this flat black monstrosity while they develop the new custom then they're sharper than most people give them credit for.
Fender American Strat
Gibson ES-339
Tflanster
#71 Posted : 3/2/2008 12:27:25 PM

". . . then their heads are denser than the wood they make their guitars out of."

Maybe they're thinking about making a balsa wood model? Dance
An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .