Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Current prices Artist As-80 and As-100
feelthelove
#1 Posted : 9/7/2010 8:11:58 AM

Groups: Member
Apologies if this comes up often but I've tried to use search functions to find an answer but failed miserably.I've been researching 335 style guitars with a view to picking one up and come to the conclusion that the Japanese built 1980-83 As100 or As80 models offer a great playing guitar/potential to increase in value.I'm a player but not wealthy so resale potential is a factor should I need to sell in the future(hoping not to).What kind of price is reasonable in the current market for these models.
Thanks in advance for any help,great forum
Steve
philly
#2 Posted : 9/7/2010 8:32:01 AM
philly

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Steve you may get a good answer here but also check http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php
feelthelove
#3 Posted : 9/7/2010 8:58:22 AM

Found a recent classified for AS100 comes in at $1100 or to me £710.Couldn't find anything on the AS80.Would around £400 be right for the 80? ie approx $620.
I know they're both great guitars but is the mark up worthwhile for the 100 over the 80?
Dante
#4 Posted : 9/7/2010 6:51:50 PM
Dante

Man
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think you'll get a real educated answer at IbanezCollectors.com in their forum. Those guys collect all kinds of older Ibbys. FWIW, the other guitarist in my band picked up a Korean made AS80 for $400-$450 about a year ago. I picked up an AS83 (Chinese) for $400 and I love it. I must add that we changed the pickups in both our guitars for some Seymour Duncans (SH4/SH2 combination)

An older model (80-83) AS100 will probably run you close to $1100 nowadays, I don't think that's outrageous. You're still getting a lot more guitar than you're paying for. An ES 335 would cost you at least twice that & IMO wouldn't offer you anything other than a name on the headstock. I'm a player, not a collector, and I could care less what the name is as long as it plays good, sounds good, and is made well. I guess that's why I have 3 Ibanez axes, one Fender, and one Gibson.
'82 PF-160 | '84 AM-50 | '86 AM-75 | '05 AR200 Goldtop | '06 AS83 | '11 RG4EXqm1
Guitars > TCE Nova System > Mesa Boogie DC-5
feelthelove
#5 Posted : 9/8/2010 5:04:28 AM

Thanks Dante,I'd find it hard to justify laying out $1100 on a guitar and I know I'd be wary of knocking it too if I pay that kind of money out.Looks like AS80 it is for me.Japanese(if I can get one for less than £500) or Korean. I try to resist the lure of the headstock name.They're just brand names and the quality is patchy.I try to buy based on quality and value so I have a couple of 80s Peavey's instead of fenders a Squier CV bass and a Peerless Songbird.This will be my first Ibanez when I track one down
Hikey Mikey
#6 Posted : 9/8/2010 3:20:08 PM
Hikey Mikey

feelthelove wrote:
Apologies if this comes up often but I've tried to use search functions to find an answer but failed miserably.I've been researching 335 style guitars with a view to picking one up and come to the conclusion that the Japanese built 1980-83 As100 or As80 models offer a great playing guitar/potential to increase in value.I'm a player but not wealthy so resale potential is a factor should I need to sell in the future(hoping not to).What kind of price is reasonable in the current market for these models.
Thanks in advance for any help,great forum
Steve

Great playing guitars, yes. Likely to increase in value? My take is that the higher the model number, the better the chance that will happen. The 200s (I think), the ones with the highly figured woods, burst finishes, Super 58 pickups, and cloud tailpieces. Those are the real prized ones.

Good luck!

Peace

Mike
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
feelthelove
#7 Posted : 9/8/2010 7:27:07 PM

Well true enough but I also want a guitar I'm happy to play without fear that I'll lose a fortune should it get the odd knock.I just scored a blonde early 80's As80 for £470 inc. postage so hopefully a good guitar without the paranoia.Seems like a fair price.I'd have loved to have gone for the stunning cherry red AS 100 still on flea bay now but I fear that's going to head a fair bit north of what I can justify paying.
Thanks for the input fellas.
nb There 's another As 80 identical to the one I picked up but the joker selling is atarting at a grand.Got to laugh really.