Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ak, af or ag series?
eulgeneral
#1 Posted : 10/2/2010 4:29:26 AM

Groups: Member
Hello,

I'm new in in the forum, and in guitar (8 mounth). I'm in France, so I'm very sorry for my quite average english ;)) For this moment I play on a Yamaha F370, acoustic guitar, but I want to buy a hollow body electric guitar to go in electric. I would like to play jazz, blues in Clapton acoustic style, various type of music but not hard rock or so. I prefer clear sound (jazz guitar sound) than overdrived...

My question: I saw 3 models of guitar: the AF95, the AK95 and the AG96. Prices are quite identical so it couldn't help me in my choice!!! I didn't find anything to compare these three models. For design and color, I prefer the AK in dark violin, but isn't it a too jazz specific model? Would the af or ag a more versatile?

Best regards

Yannick
enlgish4bw
#2 Posted : 10/2/2010 10:37:21 AM
enlgish4bw

Man
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yes the AK is very jazz specific.

I'd go with the AF95 personally, as I own one, and it's a great guitar. The AG is a bit smaller and also a very nice guitar. I'm kind of biased toward AF's, but it is really about what you prefer.
Sven
#3 Posted : 10/2/2010 11:07:39 AM
Sven

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
eulgeneral wrote:
Hello,

I'm new in in the forum, and in guitar (8 mounth). I'm in France, so I'm very sorry for my quite average english ;)) For this moment I play on a Yamaha F370, acoustic guitar, but I want to buy a hollow body electric guitar to go in electric. I would like to play jazz, blues in Clapton acoustic style, various type of music but not hard rock or so. I prefer clear sound (jazz guitar sound) than overdrived...

My question: I saw 3 models of guitar: the AF95, the AK95 and the AG96. Prices are quite identical so it couldn't help me in my choice!!! I didn't find anything to compare these three models. For design and color, I prefer the AK in dark violin, but isn't it a too jazz specific model? Would the af or ag a more versatile?

Best regards

Yannick

Welcome to the forum!

While the full-hollow body models you mentioned are very nice (I have the AK95), and considering you want to play jazz and blues (Clapton), I'd recommend a semi-hollow body. Depending on where you'll be playing, and how loud, the semi-hollow body will elimate potential feedback problems that can occur with a full-hollow body. Roll back on the tone control, and semis will still give you that nice warm jazz sound.

I'd recommend one of these Artcore semi-hollow body models:

AS Series (I have the AS73): http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/Series-as

AGS Series: http://www.ibanez.com/Ho...wBodyGuitars/Series-ags

AM Series: http://www.ibanez.com/Ho...dyGuitars/Series-am_amf

These are about 1 inch thinner than the full-hollow body models

Hopefully you'll be able to try a few out and see what you like.

Cheers!

Sven
enlgish4bw
#4 Posted : 10/2/2010 12:02:58 PM
enlgish4bw

Man
Good point Sven. Full hollow-bodies are very sensitive to gain and resonate feedback quite easily. This can be an advantage if you know how to control it, or it can be awful. If your palm-muting technique is good, and you won't be playing at high volume or high gain, then you should be fine.
The AS series are amazing guitars though... I've got two. Another option to think about is the AFS series, which are full hollow, just slimmer (thinner).
I got this model from the UK, and it's available in France too. It may be the best guitar I own just for its versatility to just about any style of music. Try one out if you can. It's an awesome guitar, and the tremolo unit adds that extra element to your playing.
Just make sure to try them all and find what suits YOU though. That's the most important thing. What do YOU like?

AFS95T-MBU

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/...t_id=1&series_id=372
brickerenator
#5 Posted : 10/2/2010 9:04:11 PM
brickerenator

eulgeneral
#6 Posted : 10/4/2010 3:14:58 AM

thanks,
I play at house on a little 15w amplifier. I'll play reasonably loud... Sound of full hollow make me crazy!!!!
The ak is perhaps not enough versatile,but ag96 seems to be better.
The problem is that i can´t try these models because my local shop doesn´t have any of them :((
For the as (the red one), the sound seems to be good for rockabilly, but in jazz? With the trem´, isn´t it difficult to change strings and to tune it?

Best regards

Yannick
JimIOW
#9 Posted : 10/4/2010 5:54:34 AM

Hi and welcome,

I can't speak from exprience of the AK and AF, but as a new owner of the AG96 I can at least comment on that guitar for you.

I play a wide variety of music and my AG96 seems to handle them all. It is one of the most versatile guitars I have ever owned. I am playing through a Marshall MG50 DFX and can go from an gorgeous acoustic sound, through clean and very woody tones which are great for Jazz, a straight clean sound with great definition - fantastic for rock n roll and "chunky" riffs (Think of "Lay Down Sally by Clapton" ) and on the overdrive channel, anything from '70's glam rock through Black Sabbath... As I said versatile.

I have not yet had any undue problem with feedback that use of gain and standing away from the amp hasn't cured.

I love the dark violin finish on the AK though. The two main differences between the AK and the AG is the AK is Spruce and Sycamore while the AG is Maple. The ptherdifference is thatthe bridge on the AK is all wood, while on the AG it is metal, giving a brighter sound.

It would be easy to use an AG bridge on th AK though!

You certainly won't be disappointed with any Artcore guitar, but my money would be on the AG96!

Hope you find this helpful, and best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Jim
eulgeneral
#10 Posted : 10/5/2010 6:00:45 AM

Are Gigbag and Starp included in the AG package, please?
Tracy Dae
#11 Posted : 10/5/2010 6:48:35 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 54 post(s)
eulgeneral wrote:

Not usually, unless your dealer puts package deals together. Artcore Custom guitars come with hardshell cases, but they are the only Artcore guitars that do. You should not consider a gig bag for a full hollow body electric. You need a hard shell case for those.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Sven
#12 Posted : 10/5/2010 4:50:32 PM
Sven

Tracy Dae wrote:
eulgeneral wrote:

Not usually, unless your dealer puts package deals together. Artcore Custom guitars come with hardshell cases, but they are the only Artcore guitars that do. You should not consider a gig bag for a full hollow body electric. You need a hard shell case for those.

I second that!

Gig Bag + Beautiful New Hollow Body = toothpicks!

You should be able to pick up a hardshell case for $90.00-$110.00. A small price to pay for some security from random bumps and bangs.
backliner
#7 Posted : 10/15/2010 10:48:25 PM
backliner

Man
eulgeneral wrote:
th...With the trem´, isn´t it difficult to change strings and to tune it?

Best regards

Yannick

They can be a bit tricky to restring, but it just takes a small bit of extra attention and you can quickly learn to "pre-bend the end a bit and get it on there to begin each string.

It won't really take anything away from the "jazz" sound but is versatile for other styles of music that a trem is used for (Rockabilly, etc). The nut must not pinch at the head or that's when the tuning issues will show up. Otherwise it adds instead of taking away.

Most of the music I use my Artcore for is jazz, so I don't miss not having a trem on my AF-75, but it wouldn't bother me if there was one installed, especially for those music styles where it's important to have the trem.
Sven
#8 Posted : 10/15/2010 11:31:11 PM
Sven

eulgeneral wrote:
thanks,
I play at house on a little 15w amplifier. I'll play reasonably loud... Sound of full hollow make me crazy!!!!
The ak is perhaps not enough versatile,but ag96 seems to be better.
The problem is that i can´t try these models because my local shop doesn´t have any of them :((
For the as (the red one), the sound seems to be good for rockabilly, but in jazz? With the trem´, isn´t it difficult to change strings and to tune it?

Best regards

Yannick

Yannick,

If you're going to be playing a variety of music, I would definitly recommend the AS model as it is the most versatile. As I mentioned, i have both an AK95, and an AS73. To get a nice Jazz sound on the AS, simply use the neck PU, and roll back on your tone. It will sound like a "Jazz Box." You'll also have other modifications you can make with your amp to fine tune the sound you're looking for.

Sven
eulgeneral
#13 Posted : 10/17/2010 5:53:40 AM

Hi,

I finally bought the AG-96DHS (DHS because of my wife who prefers this color ;))

I love this guitar. Sound is incrdible and I don't have larsen or feedback problem at this time.

Thank you all for your advises, they really help me!!!

I don't have gigbag or case at this time but I will purchase one in the next weeks. The problem is that this guitar doesn't have standart dimensions. Does anybody have any suggestion on this point?

Regards

Yannick
JimIOW
#15 Posted : 10/17/2010 7:19:41 AM

Hi Yannick,

Congratulations on the AG96DHS. I have recently got one of these and have found it an incredible guitar too, I wish I had got one years ago! (I love the finish on mine.) Glad you are pleased with it and let us know how you get on with it!

Cheers

Jim
JimIOW
#16 Posted : 10/17/2010 7:31:09 AM

Oh, by the way the case you need is the Ibanez AR-C which is listed on their website as being for the AG series. Thomann have them in stock at eur 88.00 plus shipping.

Hope that helps!

Jim
Tracy Dae
#14 Posted : 10/17/2010 10:45:14 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 54 post(s)
eulgeneral wrote:
I don't have gigbag or case at this time but I will purchase one in the next weeks. The problem is that this guitar doesn't have standart dimensions. Does anybody have any suggestion on this point?

You need to buy the correct Ibanez case for this guitar. There are no generic cases or gig bags that will fit an Ibanez AG guitar properly... The correct Ibanez case number for an Ibanez AG guitar is AG100C (this is the USA/North America M/N).

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
enlgish4bw
#17 Posted : 10/17/2010 2:29:45 PM
enlgish4bw

Man
Yeah, totally agree that you NEED to have a hard shell case before you take that AG96 anywhere. I know TOO MANY fellow guitarists (one with his $6,000.00 Martin D-45 Custom) crack the finish or actually put a crack in the WOOD on the body of their guitar, just because they couldn't be bothered with a case and used a stupid gig bag. Once you break it, it NEVER resonates properly again, and also looks like crap.
Solution? GET THE CASE dude. Don't scrimp on cheap imitations just to save a few quid when it comes to protecting with your "baby".