Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ibanez outlets in India - long waiting period
sixstringer
#1 Posted : 12/31/2008 6:15:31 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/29/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5
Man
Location: India
Searched hi and low and finally thought this is the right place to post this comment. For long time, Ibanez has not had a steady dealership in India that really takes the customer seriously. The only dealer in India is a company called MDC and readily stocks Non prestige models. Although they were kind enough to mail me a catalog of 2008 models, they didnt have any of the prestige series in stock when I wanted to buy one other than the Steve vai and the Joe Satriani signature series and couple of souped up S series. WHen I ordered the axe I was looking for that is the Prestige RG1570 and RG2550ZGK, I was denied the color available in the catalog, then I was told that Ibanez will not supply USA models in other continents as that they stick to the catlog released for the specific country only. So I tried telling him this is a custom order, but the dealer was of no help. Secondly I have been given a 3 month wait time for my guitars. I raised my order in September 08 and now that the year is over, I am assuming, Ibanez may have better guitars in the 2009 catalog, if I wait for that catlog, probably I am not getting my guitars before June 09 as the dealer in India says that the minimum time he has to wait is 3 months for any order he raises with Ibanez. Now I fail to understand the mechnics of this arrangement, if Ibanez has only one dealer in the entire country and a wait time of 3 months, how is it expecting to do business?. I heard some pretty nasty comments from other suppliers about Ibanez business policies in Asia but I dont want to beleive it as there may be a different side to the story. I was down in Hong Kong & Australia in August 08 and I could have picked up the same guitar paying a small premium, but chose to buy it in India for the sake of promoting local economy and showing some loyalty to the local dealer who is working hard to promote the brand. Unfortunately, this is not working out for a musician like me. I am on the verge of a major gear upgrade, my amp and processors and studio equipment is already in but for my guitars. Even today as of 31st december 2008 I have no indication from the dealer on the ETA for the shipment from Japan. My pilot album recording is now delayed and my producers are threatening to pull out if I dont start by First week of Jan 09...trying to reach Ibanez international sales team - but there seems to be no general contact on the website .. No offence to "MDC", I will still buy from you but this is really not working out for me.

-six stringer
infernalreaper
#2 Posted : 12/31/2008 8:05:55 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/31/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1
Location: India
true...ibanez's dealership in India sucks...tried mailin 'MDC' but they havent replied at all...im waiting for a 7 string to be made available in india...the only one they have available here in the Rg7321...ibanez when will you guys make sure that everyone in India can buy guitars that feature in your catalogue..atleast make sure that 7 string guitars are made available
ksandvik
#4 Posted : 12/31/2008 2:09:09 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 274
Location: Northern California
I suspect it is far cheaper anyway to take a flight to the nearest country that has a decent Ibanez store and take the guitar back. Depending on the customs you might have issues. If you lined up a free gig somewhere outside India you could claim it's your tool for the trade and you have used it.
Hikey Mikey
#5 Posted : 12/31/2008 7:38:44 PM
Hikey Mikey


Groups: Member
Joined: 7/17/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,220
Location: United States
Everyone is frustrated by the international availability issue. Americans want stuff that's available in Japan, Europe wants U. S. only models, etc, etc. . .

You do have a great point about the lack of customer service you experienced. India isn't the country it used to be only a short time ago. It's growing and prospering and you ought to, somewhere in that nation, get an Ibanez guitar.

Good luck!
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
Cheesebuiscut
#7 Posted : 1/1/2009 1:36:41 AM
Cheesebuiscut


Groups: Member
Joined: 12/4/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,006
Location: place
People never want whats available / what they have they'll always long for everything that they cant get. that goes for everything in life though not just guitars.
ksandvik
#8 Posted : 1/1/2009 4:33:40 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/6/2008(UTC)
Posts: 274
Location: Northern California
Cheesebuiscut wrote:
People never want whats available / what they have they'll always long for everything that they cant get. that goes for everything in life though not just guitars.


Yep. And it's amazing what a good guitar player could do with a $100 axe.
sixstringer
#6 Posted : 1/3/2009 9:44:55 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/29/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5
Man
Location: India
Hikey Mikey wrote:
Everyone is frustrated by the international availability issue. Americans want stuff that's available in Japan, Europe wants U. S. only models, etc, etc. . .

You do have a great point about the lack of customer service you experienced. India isn't the country it used to be only a short time ago. It's growing and prospering and you ought to, somewhere in that nation, get an Ibanez guitar.

Good luck!


Mikey, you are right, Indian, isnt the country it used to be, in 1984 my dad put Rs 650 = USD 15 today which was a huge part of his salary to buy me and my brother 1 guitar from the only store in Bombay. There after I have only seen Gibsons, Fenders, ESP, KRamers and Jackson, either with international rock bands or people who return from a foreign trip or guitar player magazines ..I used to have cut outs fo these guitars pasted on my rood door -- so much for drooling over these axes.. There was never a dealers ship set up in India and these instruments came from traders involved in IMPORT/EXPORT .. I was told by one Musical instrument shop that Ibanez wanted him to do Minmum $750,000 worth of business every year to get a dealership, when the average price of a prestige in the 1990's in India was Rs 60,000 = Yearly salary for most people in private companies and One guitar selling in 6 month, this was un-achievable. . Today the economy has boomed, kids have much more disposable income that what I was earning in the 1990. Kids today can walk in and buy any RG series with out a second thought, how ever Prestige is still a bar above the regular..Still its a back order from Japan for all restige and signature series. I spent the last 12 years teaching music saving money to buy these guitars and tried not going into a GAS [gear acquisition syndrome] ..Today when I have my music written down and ready to record..I have no axe...:) ...Wall
sixstringer
#3 Posted : 1/3/2009 9:45:45 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/29/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5
Man
Location: India
infernalreaper wrote:
true...ibanez's dealership in India sucks...tried mailin 'MDC' but they havent replied at all...im waiting for a 7 string to be made available in india...the only one they have available here in the Rg7321...ibanez when will you guys make sure that everyone in India can buy guitars that feature in your catalogue..atleast make sure that 7 string guitars are made available


I suggest just ring the number on the Ibanez website, it works.
Guest
#9 Posted : 1/3/2009 10:35:43 AM
Groups:
Joined: 10/17/2007(UTC)
Posts: 39,204
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You could buy an American Ibanez from a dealer here in the US, and have it shipped there. It would void the warranty. However, you would certainly get it in a couple of weeks (or less).

Guitar Rez, Austin TX

IbanezRules.com

I know both of these US dealers ship overseas. Might consider that option.

sixstringer
#10 Posted : 1/3/2009 11:01:25 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 12/29/2008(UTC)
Posts: 5
Man
Location: India
jl-austin wrote:
You could buy an American Ibanez from a dealer here in the US, and have it shipped there. It would void the warranty. However, you would certainly get it in a couple of weeks (or less).

Guitar Rez, Austin TX

IbanezRules.com

I know both of these US dealers ship overseas. Might consider that option.



I tried that option. Here is what I am up againts. The Rg 2550Z GK costs 899 on Guitar centre on rebate or sweetwater online and about $999 retail, I can have some one locally purchase it for me. Shipping costs 110 USD to my destination. On $900, the insurance works out to $90, Customs in India charge me 35% + 2 % on 35 that works out to a aggregate Duty of 36% which is $360, plus a $100 bribe to the customs official for getting one guitar from US. So the cost works out to $ 999+110+90+360 = 1559 which is 1.5 times the original...and I need two of these.... So I am trading the cost of one guitar for this import... I am on a strict budget volume and cant blow it....
Guest
#11 Posted : 1/3/2009 11:22:53 AM
Groups:
Joined: 10/17/2007(UTC)
Posts: 39,204
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
sixstringer wrote:

I tried that option. Here is what I am up againts. The Rg 2550Z GK costs 899 on Guitar centre on rebate or sweetwater online and about $999 retail, I can have some one locally purchase it for me. Shipping costs 110 USD to my destination. On $900, the insurance works out to $90, Customs in India charge me 35% + 2 % on 35 that works out to a aggregate Duty of 36% which is $360, plus a $100 bribe to the customs official for getting one guitar from US. So the cost works out to $ 999+110+90+360 = 1559 which is 1.5 times the original...and I need two of these.... So I am trading the cost of one guitar for this import... I am on a strict budget volume and cant blow it....


Wow, there is a customs fee? 35% uggh, I feel for you! I don't know much about customs charges.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.