Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ADJUSTING THE ACTION - ZR tremolo
NabarunPaul
#1 Posted : 4/14/2009 11:51:00 PM

Groups: Member
Hi All,

Nice to meet you all S Series users. I am having S470 and i have been playing it since last one year. When buying i adjusted the string height very well. The Ibanez trained guy adjusted the fret bar and also the tremolo unit to suit my need.

That guy installed 0.009-0.042 string and warned me to use this set only. But after one year of using, three days back i found the string height was no more comfortable enough to play. So i tried to adjust string action by TIGHTENing (i think so) the truss rod which worked no doubt. But during my playing i observed two things -

1) in the middle part of the fret bar (from 8 fret to 13th fret) the string height is still higher compared to higher or lower frets.

2) the lower strings, specially, 5th and 6th (E and A) strings height is quite higher compared to the higher strings (1st, 2nd).

As far as the point one is considered, i think a little more turn in the truss rod will solve the problem and i will get a smooth string height all over the fret bar. But yesterday i stopped as suddenly i heard a cracking sound Dance (i hope my guitar is still good and nothing happened from inside). Should i proceed any further and is this the stopping point Think or it is a natural phenomenon ? (<- My first question)

And for point no 2 -> i think by adjusting the tremolo unit will lower the lower string heights. But how do i do it? (<- My second question). As i found only a screw nut (referring to Fig 3 B of 2008 user manual) which can be loosened or tightened, but how do make the unit go up or down Think ? If there is any other way please suggest!

Cheers and happy guitaring,
Nabarun.
OneShot
#2 Posted : 4/15/2009 11:17:14 AM

DUDE.. If you not sure, TAKE YOUR GUITAR TO A TECH at your local Guitar Store.

At least if they break it they pay.

the reason why no one has replied to this yet, is because all the answers are HERE, you need only browse and search to find them.
but in the spirit of being nice, I hereby Bless thee with ....
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

There is enough reading there to keep you busy for a while, AND DO IT! because it is mandatory info that everyone should know. Just keep in mind even AFTER you read and think you know what do to... if YOU break it, its YOUR problem.. If you take it to a tech and they break it, its THEIR problem.

Good luck

Do have a Ibanez S540LTD you wanna sell?
Or an AANJ 22 Fret Sharks-Tooth Inlay Orig Wizard Neck?
PM ME!
AarJay
#4 Posted : 4/15/2009 11:52:21 AM
AarJay

Man
OneShot wrote:
...because it is mandatory info...

+1
'08 Ibanez RG2570Z | Vital Gold | stock DiMarzio/IBZ pups
'05 Ibanez RG321MH | Weathered Black | stock INF3/4 pups
'03 Ibanez RG1527 | Galaxy Black | Dual EMG 707
'03 Ibanez RG1550M | Black | Stock V7 / S1 / V8
'98 Ibanez RG570 | Red stain on veneer | DiMarzio Breed Neck & Bridge, Strat Single
'96 Ibanez S540FM | Trans Turquoise | Neck: SD TB-2, Mid: Stock QMS1, Bridge: SD TB-15
'95 Ibanez SR885 | 5-string Bass | Black |
NabarunPaul
#3 Posted : 4/15/2009 10:10:44 PM

OneShot wrote:
DUDE.. If you not sure, TAKE YOUR GUITAR TO A TECH at your local Guitar Store.

At least if they break it they pay.

the reason why no one has replied to this yet, is because all the answers are HERE, you need only browse and search to find them.
but in the spirit of being nice, I hereby Bless thee with ....
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

There is enough reading there to keep you busy for a while, AND DO IT! because it is mandatory info that everyone should know. Just keep in mind even AFTER you read and Clap think you know what do to... if YOU break it, its YOUR problem.. If you take it to a tech and they break it, its THEIR problem Clap .

Good luck

Hey Oneshot,
It is very nice info and i think it is exactly what i was looking for Happy ....
i ll read it and if i think things are normal then its ok Pray ....
or else i need to check with the Ibanez guy again ....
Thanks again man ....