Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Ibanez mahogany RG 8 String!?
Grindjazz
#1 Posted : 4/20/2009 11:41:19 PM

Groups: Member
WHEN???????????
MaxOfMetal
#2 Posted : 4/21/2009 2:01:12 AM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Let's get a mahogany 7 string back in production first. Or perhaps even an upgraded 8-string, EMGs aside the RG2228 is the most plain RG in the current line-up. Including non-prestige! Don't get me wrong, I love my 2228, beats the hell out of the SC608 and the Intrepid! Perhaps you might want to look into a pickup change. Bareknuckle, Swineshead, and Lundgren all make super high quality pickups which sound amazing regardless of body wood.

Also, about body woods. Unless you're playing really clean or through a highly simplified all analog rig, you're not gonna be able to discern any significant difference, at least none that working the tone and EQ controls on your gear wont fix. From what I've found the wood used in the neck and how it's affixed to the body control more tonal characteristics in the tone, attack, ans sustain of the instrument.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Kenny
#3 Posted : 4/21/2009 10:12:40 AM

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruler5000
#4 Posted : 4/21/2009 1:02:13 PM
Ruler5000

Man
Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Keep
Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray
and maybe we will see it come to live
My Ibby's:
1975 2845 western acoustic
1977 2354S SG custom copy Mahogany
2002 RG7321 BK
1993 RG450 PN
2006 RGTHRG2 N.Y. City XI (Exotic)
2009 RGA32 MOL
2010 RGA42 BK
2005 SRX350 NT

Non-Ibby's:
1999 AriaProII MAC50 Tansparent Blue
1997 Manuel Serrang Spanish acoustic
Grindjazz
#5 Posted : 5/3/2009 5:45:03 PM

Hmm? I ask because every single artist who is endorsed by ibanez, that get there own version of the 8 string RG get it in mahogany. It is much more durable wood, and better choice for clean. Yes I play lot's of clean guitar (Jazz) and I also play Metal so it's the better choice for playing those styles, which is why I requested to see if anyone else thinks it would be good idea, certainly there endorsed artists think so...
#7 Posted : 5/3/2009 10:36:16 PM
Groups:
Grindjazz wrote:
Hmm? I ask because every single artist who is endorsed by ibanez, that get there own version of the 8 string RG get it in mahogany. It is much more durable wood, and better choice for clean. Yes I play lot's of clean guitar (Jazz) and I also play Metal so it's the better choice for playing those styles, which is why I requested to see if anyone else thinks it would be good idea, certainly there endorsed artists think so...

I actually like the way my basswood body guitar sounds clean.
MaxOfMetal
#6 Posted : 5/4/2009 1:05:54 AM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Grindjazz wrote:

If pickups and amp don't change the sound enough to make a noticeable difference, get some new pickups and an amp. Mahogany is a pretty good wood to use, but it's not the cornerstone of a guitars tone. You'll also notice that the custom guitars made for the artists have different pickups (usually) and use very high end amps.

Good idea? Yes! Though I don't think it's for the reasons you state. If you can't get good clean and distorted tones out of a guitar made out of basswood, then you need to really look at other aspects of your gear.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Grindjazz
#8 Posted : 5/5/2009 3:43:53 PM

All I am saying is it would be nice to have mahogany version of the guitar. I thought more people would be in support of this instead of knocking down the idea (that's just one less option for RG 8 guitar players). All the artist that come to mind using custom 8 strings use EMG 808's no big difference there (see 09 Ibanez catalogue) I am using my 8 string with a Mesa F50 and Dual Rectifier Roadster through Port City cabinets (not a big gear problem ;). I find it strange that everyone that gets chance for custom 8 gets it in mahogany with EMG 808. It must not make a difference for the artists? I compared alot of Ibanez guitars that I own, and the mahogany feel so much more durable. It's easy to see why everyone would choose that over basswood standard RG 8 string.
MaxOfMetal
#9 Posted : 5/5/2009 6:46:44 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Grindjazz wrote:
All I am saying is it would be nice to have mahogany version of the guitar. I thought more people would be in support of this instead of knocking down the idea (that's just one less option for RG 8 guitar players). All the artist that come to mind using custom 8 strings use EMG 808's no big difference there (see 09 Ibanez catalogue) I am using my 8 string with a Mesa F50 and Dual Rectifier Roadster through Port City cabinets (not a big gear problem ;). I find it strange that everyone that gets chance for custom 8 gets it in mahogany with EMG 808. It must not make a difference for the artists? I compared alot of Ibanez guitars that I own, and the mahogany feel so much more durable. It's easy to see why everyone would choose that over basswood standard RG 8 string.

Actually most people getting custom 8s are getting them with Alder or Ash bodies, in addition to Mahogany, Basswood, and Walnut. As far as pickups go most are choosing Lundgren and Bareknuckle opposed to EMGs. I have no problem with a Mahogany 8-string, just the concept of it being significantly superior to the basswood one. I'm also not to big on going by what the "artists" think is superior.

Come to think of it I only know of a couple of people who use the 808s, let alone endorsed artists.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH
Ruler5000
#10 Posted : 5/6/2009 2:45:01 AM
Ruler5000

Man
Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I know that Dino at least has one RG8 with the 808 pups in it. And it all depends on the type of sound the artist likes and even if he has a endorsment deal with a pup company. But mainly it will depend on the sound an artist likes which pups he will choose to have on his custom RG8 he gets. Same goes for the bodywood. If he wants a nice custom bodywood he will choose any other wood than basswood, because that is just the same he (or she) will be able to get from a "normal" RG2228. I myself would also go for another wood if I had the choice, mainly because I can and that it will give my RG8 a more custom feel.

I do think that the RG8 would be great with a mahogany body. You can hear the different characteristics of different bodywoods. Just compare a mahogany RG6 with a basswood RG6 by running it back-to-back through the same rig with identical settings. You will definately hear the difference. However, I do agree MaxOfMetal that the amp and the pups have a bigger impact on the sound.
I also think that you should be able to get a good clean sound and a good metal sound from the RG2228. And there are aftermarket 8 string pups available, so if the sound is not really what you hope or want, look around and see if there are other pups that would give you what your looking for tonewise. On the Bareknuckle site they have some sound clips that might help you out.
My Ibby's:
1975 2845 western acoustic
1977 2354S SG custom copy Mahogany
2002 RG7321 BK
1993 RG450 PN
2006 RGTHRG2 N.Y. City XI (Exotic)
2009 RGA32 MOL
2010 RGA42 BK
2005 SRX350 NT

Non-Ibby's:
1999 AriaProII MAC50 Tansparent Blue
1997 Manuel Serrang Spanish acoustic