Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
ACH 1 & 2 Pickups?....
WERNER1
#1 Posted : 4/23/2009 9:03:21 AM
WERNER1

Groups: Member
Well after playing my AGS83B for the past several weeks,... all I can say is WOW! ... I was wondering if anyone has tried these pickups in a solidbody guitar or something?,..

I so love the tightness and "Crunch" that the bridge pup has as well as the super smooth tones of the neck,.. I can't help wonder what the effects of dropping a pair of these into one of my LesPauls would have?? ..

Funny thing was when I spoke to our Rep. from Ibanez the other day about ordering a case for my AGS, he said "Yeah, if you change those pickups out that thing will sound sweet!" ... .. I am FULLY convinced that any change to this guitar would only decrease it's ability to sound great! ..

So,.. I did some quick searches on ebay and I didn't see any of the ACH's on there... anybody got a line one where I can locate a one or a set of these to do some testing on other guitars?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

akustikgitar
#4 Posted : 4/23/2009 11:22:21 AM
akustikgitar

Man
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sounds real pretty Rusty! Thanks for sharing your playing with us! Happy
WERNER1
#5 Posted : 4/23/2009 12:24:21 PM
WERNER1

Thanks for sharing!.. was that the bridge or neck? ..

Ok,... Does anybody have any pics of the back of the ACH's? ... I've found these that are labeled as such, but I have no idea how to determine if this is actually what they are or not (ACH's)???

Also, are all of these pickups the same (ACH1 & 2's),.. or were there different versions over the years?

Thanks again!
Rick

Jason43
#7 Posted : 4/23/2009 3:01:47 PM
Jason43

The ACH's sitting in my parts box simply have "F" and "R" stamped on them.
1998 Ibanez Artist AR700
1983 Ibanez Artist AM50
2004 Ibanez Artcore AM77
1985 Ibanez Pro Line PL1770
Custom made doubleneck

WERNER1
#8 Posted : 4/23/2009 3:05:51 PM
WERNER1

Well I just got off of the phone with Ibanez,.. and the ACH pickups can be had for like 36 bucks each!... and that's "List" price!! .. and all the common finishes are available,... Cosmo. Black (Which is what's on my AGS), Gold, chrome.. Looks like I'll be ordering a set in Gold and trying them out in one of my LP's,.. can't wait to see what they sound like in there :D

Let me finish this post by saying that I would consider my self a bit of a snobbish person when it comes to Pickups,.. I know what works and what doesn't,.. and also what makes them tick too (Windings vs. mag's vs. symmetrical ...blah blah.. ) ... but one thing that weighs in way above all of the specs at the end of the day is the bottom line,.. and that is how it sounds in the real world -- I've gotten SOOOoooo many compliments on the tones that I've been getting with the AGS over the past two weeks... and that's pretty rare. Now grant it, this could be one of those "Sum of all it's parts" type things,... but I guess I'll find that out for sure once I start trying out the ACH's in some of my other guitars,...

Thanks,
Rick
Jason43
#9 Posted : 4/23/2009 3:28:22 PM
Jason43

Honestly, you can pick up a set of these on ebay for less than 36 bucks. Believe it or not, they're usually the first thing most Artcore owners change.
1998 Ibanez Artist AR700
1983 Ibanez Artist AM50
2004 Ibanez Artcore AM77
1985 Ibanez Pro Line PL1770
Custom made doubleneck

McGonagall
#10 Posted : 4/23/2009 4:08:36 PM
McGonagall

Man
If you are happy to buy them from Hong Kong then this guy has them for $37 for a set. I have previously bought two sets of Grover tuners from him, definitely genuine parts and they were shipped to the UK and arrived a couple of weeks later without any problems.
Chrome = Item number: 270275908528
Gold = Item number: 270379012209

Even if you don't want to buy both listings have a photo of the rear of the pick ups
WERNER1
#12 Posted : 4/23/2009 4:25:31 PM
WERNER1

Shifty

That's where I got the back picture I posted above :) ... but I just wasn't sure if they would be the "Exact" pickup that comes in the AGS's and other Ibanez Hollowbody guitars (??) ..

I guess I need to pull the ones out of my AGS and measure them for Resistance,.. and then contact the guy and see if his specs match mine ..

WERNER1
#13 Posted : 4/24/2009 9:58:51 PM
WERNER1

Just ordered a Gold Covered set (ACH1 & 2)from Ibanez,.. I'll do some soundclip test when they get here :)

Thanks.
Rick
WERNER1
#15 Posted : 4/25/2009 10:15:17 AM
WERNER1

Can you do wav files on it?..

I've been using SoundClick for the past several years, and it's served it's purpose quite well IMO.. .. but it would be nice to put up Wav.'s instead of Lower quality MP3's :)

http://www.soundclick.co...fault.cfm?bandid=410286

Thanks,
Rick
Tflanster
#11 Posted : 4/25/2009 12:02:56 PM

What guy?

Thanks

McGonagall wrote:
If you are happy to buy them from Hong Kong then this guy has them for $37 for a set. I have previously bought two sets of Grover tuners from him, definitely genuine parts and they were shipped to the UK and arrived a couple of weeks later without any problems.
Chrome = Item number: 270275908528
Gold = Item number: 270379012209

Even if you don't want to buy both listings have a photo of the rear of the pick ups
An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .
WERNER1
#17 Posted : 4/25/2009 1:53:07 PM
WERNER1

I believe they are referring to this guy(lady actually I think...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...T&item=270379012209

Rusty - Can you post me a link to this SharePoint? ..

Thanks,
Rick
WERNER1
#19 Posted : 4/25/2009 1:56:01 PM
WERNER1

well for some reason it's not posting the whole thing as a single link, but if you cut and paste it, it should still work, or just search using those Numbers that were listed a few post above or the number at the end of my link.

Thanks,
Rick
bfloyd6969
#20 Posted : 4/25/2009 9:05:54 PM
bfloyd6969

Man
SendSpace works for .wav files too :)
Bryan
bol316
#21 Posted : 5/1/2009 7:56:34 PM
bol316

WERNER1 wrote:
Well after playing my AGS83B for the past several weeks,... all I can say is WOW! ... I was wondering if anyone has tried these pickups in a solidbody guitar or something?,..

I so love the tightness and "Crunch" that the bridge pup has as well as the super smooth tones of the neck,.. I can't help wonder what the effects of dropping a pair of these into one of my LesPauls would have?? ..

Funny thing was when I spoke to our Rep. from Ibanez the other day about ordering a case for my AGS, he said "Yeah, if you change those pickups out that thing will sound sweet!" ... .. I am FULLY convinced that any change to this guitar would only decrease it's ability to sound great! ..

So,.. I did some quick searches on ebay and I didn't see any of the ACH's on there... anybody got a line one where I can locate a one or a set of these to do some testing on other guitars?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Glad you like em, cuz I sure don't. Can anyone suggest a set of nice, clean sounding set for my AF75? I cant stand the "pillow over the amp" sound of these stocks. Any brand, time period or price please. Thanks!
Fernandes Ravelle Elite wine red
Fernandes Dave Kushner signature
Epiphone LP Special gutted and hot rodded
Martin DM acoustic
Pop Culture is dead, long live the Suicides!
WERNER1
#25 Posted : 5/8/2009 4:13:13 PM
WERNER1

Hmm... sorry to hear that you don't like them ,... are they not Bright,..or chimey enough for you? (Bridge? .. neck??...)

What type of music will you be playing with it? (Each pickup as well?) ..

Schadenfreudian
#26 Posted : 5/9/2009 9:13:06 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Werner,

Here's a(n amateurish) sample of Ibanez Super 58's pickups. (I was recording my first multi-track mix, a popular bossa nova song, Meditation. The recording gear is a BOSS 1200BR CD-burn capable portable studio. It's a bit rough in spots and I didn't set the velocity (volume) setting high enough on the final mixdown, but this will give you a pretty idea of how great Ibanez pickups sound played clean, with jsut a little reverb. The guitar carrying the melody and the introductory chords is an Ibanez AS73NAT with super 58's played through a Tech21 Trademark 60 amp clean channel. The other guitar is a Cordoba classical Cadete. Yours truly played all of the other instruments except the drum kit):

http://www.4shared.com/f.../Meditacao_by_Neal.html

By the way, I LOVE Ibanez pickups...it's just that the ACH'ers didn't give me the dynamic response and depth of the super 58's.

And thanks, Rusty, for the link to 4shared.
TheP-40's
#27 Posted : 5/9/2009 3:53:37 PM
TheP-40's

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Nice Schaden, your song has that Gilbert O'sullivans "alone again naturally" feeling. I like it.

On the ACH pick-ups. yes the neck PU is a bit darker but it has its applications. I tend to use the Bridge PU or both the neck and bridge. I get the tones I need straight into either of the Peavey amps I use on the clean channel, but I usually go through my multi-effects pedal and leave the settings on my amps all neutral (all straight up) if I need a particular setting I can dial it in on my pedal or if I have to, I'll adjust my amps tone settings (bass,mid, treb) I find the ACH's do what I ask. I havn't had much time lately but I'll try to give a sample soon with my AS83 or 73 (both ACH PU's) maybe I'll give a sample of clean and a clean tweaked setting.

Also Yes, Thank you rusty for the 4shared site :-) Ibanez should put you on thier payroll because you do us all a big service here. :-)
Schadenfreudian
#28 Posted : 5/10/2009 8:15:14 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks for your kind words, P-40s.

As a world-music/jazzer I'm about 80% of the time on the neck pickup. I needed a more expansive pup in the midrange and a bolder bridge pickup for my AS73, so I bit the bullet and went for the Super 58's. Despite the recording, I think our thread starter can get a good idea of the tone of the 58's; it really made a big diff especially when playing those triad chords in the intro.

The absolute first hollow body I was seriously considering was the AS83. I don't regret for one second the purchase of the AS73NAT, but I would have at least appreciated an opportunity to play the '83. If it's the '93 but without the gold hardware and flame maple top, then it's got to be a sweet-sounding machine, indeed.
TheP-40's
#29 Posted : 5/11/2009 12:30:17 AM
TheP-40's

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
One of these days I guess I'll give those 58's a try, but I just don't feel the need because the Ach's do what I ask. I go through my effects pedal so tweaking the sound isn't a problem.

Okay here is a sample of my AS83's ACH pick-ups. first off is both the neck and bridge together, then just the bridge and last but not least the neck on its own, then a slight pause and into my multi-effect. nothing fancy here just testing really. Okay here goes

Oh don't forget to click the little green play button, that is the sample. enjoy

http://www.4shared.com/f.../26e8c8a1/ACHtests.html

Oh just to let you know, when i played clean through my amp i kept the bass,mid,and treb all nuetral straight up. If I played clean through only the amp I suppose I would adjust them accordingly, but again I usually tweak through my multi-effects pedel. :)