Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Which Ibanez closest to Gibson ES-335?
zoommutt
#1 Posted : 5/1/2009 11:26:03 AM

Groups: Member
I went to GC twice to play the AS-73.I liked it alot.Is this a good guitar for blues?It's hard sometimes to hear the guitar at GC with all the noise.I really like the trans cherry,but I just couldn't pull the trigger.Twice!At $349 it's a great price,but it was scratched(GC).Could I do better with another Ibanez?Next time I go there it might be coming home.Thanks
Tflanster
#3 Posted : 5/1/2009 11:58:07 AM

zoommutt wrote:
I went to GC twice to play the AS-73.I liked it alot.Is this a good guitar for blues?It's hard sometimes to hear the guitar at GC with all the noise.I really like the trans cherry,but I just couldn't pull the trigger.Twice!At $349 it's a great price,but it was scratched(GC).Could I do better with another Ibanez?Next time I go there it might be coming home.Thanks

Never, never, ever . . . pay the asking price at GC! Local GC's here were selling AS73's for $299 plus tax last month. I bought one about 8 months ago for $280 and I got a strap and a cable thrown in. I even bargain on the price of strings. The sales people make a small commission and for the most part will give up part of the commish just to make a sale. Or, ask for the store manager. Tell him/her that you're ready to buy now. On the AS73 I offered $250. After much discussion, and after convincing the guy I was absolutely serious and ready to buy, he came back with the $280 price.
I even bought a $199.95 list Ibanez Jump Start Jam Pack a couple years ago for $150.00, and I got a music stand to boot!

GC routinely offers 10% and 15% discount coupons on line, and if you're signed up with them at the store, you get them in the mail.

So, never pay retail at GC.

Note: this is an edited version of the original post. The inane word deleter knocked out a perfectly fine, commonly used term for bargaining . . . what an goofy system!

An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .
zoommutt
#9 Posted : 5/1/2009 1:39:46 PM

THANKS for that tip Tflanster.I'm glad I passed.I've only bought strings there before.How do you like your AS73?
rsantos11
#10 Posted : 5/1/2009 8:22:02 PM

Totally agree with not paying full price at GC. They have price matching, so find the exact model guitar for cheaper from an online retailer (not e-bay, but a place that has a fixed price) and print it out and bring it to the store. They should match it, no problem...

I've played the AS-73, like you in a loud GC, and it seemed great for the price. Most people who have one say they're worth every penny, plus more. If I wanted an ES-335 style guitar, no question I'd buy the AS-73...
bfloyd6969
#11 Posted : 5/1/2009 9:05:22 PM
bfloyd6969

Man
I'll add my 2 cents because I too am a bluesy player. The AS series are going to be more versatile because you can drive them harder with overdrive. This is due to the fact that the pickups are mounted directly to a block of wood inside the semi hollow body. If you are wanting to play a more gritty blues, or rock blues, I would recommend these semi hollow AS series. Now, I play more of a clean blues, almost rockabillyish (rockabilly really is blues) so I prefer the more rich sounding full hollow body AF series. Because the pups are "floating" and not mounted to a block inside the hollow body, they are more prone to feedback at higher volumes when overdriven. But, the payback of using a full hollow body is the deep, rich tone.
Bryan
zoommutt
#12 Posted : 5/2/2009 12:32:01 PM

I think I would have a tough time buying one sight unseen. I've tried only about 4 or 5 of the AS-73's ,but I found some had sharp edges on the frets.The one I liked had smooth edges, that's why I almost got the scratched one.Thank you bfloyd6969 for your idea about the AS.I would guess that guitar is more money.I'll try to check it out.My GAS is almost over but I'm not in the mood to drop 2 to 3 grand on a Gibson semi hollow right now.There didn't seem to be much difference between the Gibson and the Ibanez.Thanks
rraguse
#14 Posted : 5/2/2009 6:34:37 PM
rraguse

Man
I bought both an AM73TBR and an AS93 sight unseen. I am very pleased with both. Neither one of them had any issues what-so-ever that couldn't be resolved by tweaking. If you like clean blues, get an AS93 or an AS103 you will be glad you did.

I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
Old DeadHead
#15 Posted : 5/3/2009 11:10:55 AM
Old DeadHead

Man
My AS73 is great for clean rythym guitar and sounds good on Chicago style blues through my TS-7 distortion pedal. The AS-73 plays as well or better than any guitar I now own or have ever owned. The stock pickups are pretty good, they're just not as hot as the ES-335 Gibsons. When I want a hotter, dirtier sound, I usually grab my Les Paul or Strat.
Gretsch Jet - The great Gretsch tone
Fender Telecaster - Albert Lee Sound
Fender Strat Showmaster
Ibanez AS73 - Tobacco Burst
1956 Gibson Southern Jumbo - Priceless
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio - Wine Red
Alvarez MD95 - a player
Crate V15 - Super Crunch!!!
Kustom Quad65 - Try it
Epiphone Valve Jr Head and Cabinet
Korg AX5G - 80 presets, only pedal you need
Ibanez TS-7 Distortion Pedal
Yamaha B2000 Bass
Ampeg BA-115 Bass Amp
Schadenfreudian
#16 Posted : 5/9/2009 10:54:32 AM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Zoommutt, here's my answer to your thread title: Investigate the AS-93, since you're looking for something that approaches a 335 bluesy vibe, right? That is one fine playing and sounding guitar for around $500(?). [Let's see, great tone and luscious neck for around $500...or Gibson 335 @ GC price of $2750...decisions, decisions....]
zoommutt
#17 Posted : 5/9/2009 4:24:57 PM

Thanks Schadenfreudian.I played the AS-103 the other day.Very nice at I think around $700.I will try to find the AS-93 to play.$500 sounds a little better.
Schadenfreudian
#18 Posted : 5/9/2009 6:29:29 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Zoom, if you can spring the $700 you might want to go for the 103 model. Besides, it comes with a case. Since GC and many other guitar outlets have increased their prices, I've seen 103's for $899 with case, so if you can get it for $700...jeez, a no brainer. Of course, I don't mind spending other people's money [:^) [I still really really love the AS93, since it can do blues AND traditional jazz really well.]
zoommutt
#19 Posted : 5/17/2009 4:57:34 PM

I finally picked up something.GC didn't have the AS-73 in the store.So I tried a used Hamer Echotone(Korean) in Transparent Red at another store.I liked it and $275 was fine.There was a natural 103,but I liked the Hamer better.
Tflanster
#20 Posted : 5/18/2009 5:42:39 PM

I just opened my mail box and lo and behold, there's a GC 15% discount coupon here. That's what, $297.50? (plus tax of course) for a $350.00 AS73. And 20% off "selected" used gear. That's without negotiating. I'm not looking for another guitar at the moment, but accessories, strings, etc., for 15% off may be worth a ride south. Ahhh, if only GC still had the $299.00 sale going on the AF75's - then I'd really consider another instrument.

Only problem is that the discount is for a single item - can't double upWall

TFlan
An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .