Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Keeping the finish?
sdgrfan1
#1 Posted : 12/16/2009 11:06:11 AM
sdgrfan1

Groups: Member
Hey all, I just bought a new SR500. I've noticed that alot of the used ones have bare wood showing through where the thumb rest or where the strings pop. Has anyone tried to use polycoat or something similar on these "oil finishes" to try to prevent premature damage/wear to their basses?
akustikgitar
#2 Posted : 12/16/2009 4:52:14 PM
akustikgitar

Man
Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Be careful about mixing finishes! If the finish is tung oil it won't react properly to other kinds of finishes being applied over it. You might end up with a perpetual sticky mess. If you want a poly finish you probably have to sand it all down and start over.

Tung oil can be reapplied on top of tung oil for refinishing. My Carvin BK5A has a tung oil finish, and I keep it looking nice with furniture oil, or sometimes paste wax. Treat it like it's fine furniture.
sdgrfan1
#3 Posted : 12/20/2009 8:25:31 AM
sdgrfan1

Thanks for the response, Akustikgitar. This SR500 seems to have an oil-based finish or stain with possibly a very light satin sealer over it, I don't know for sure. No, I don't want a poly finish, I just wanted to protect the finish that it already has. If you look at used Ibby oil-based finish basses, they almost always have gouges or bare wood where the thumb rests against or between the pickups. I was just wanting to protect the finish my new bass already has so it doesn't look like crap in a couple of years. I guess some people like the mojo of a "beat up" bass or guitar, but I'm not one of them.
lesliegl
#4 Posted : 12/20/2009 1:22:40 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think some degree of marking is going to be inevitable on any natural finsh bass..unless you dont play on it very hard ..that dark stain with semi gloss sealer on it is going to wear off..and with the lighter mahogany underneath its going to look bloody awful
the only way around that would be to take this finish off back to the natural maahogany then it would look like a normal natural finish mahogany body bass and it would look pretty good id reckon
i had a chance to have a look at the prestige 4000E model earlier this year and it got the same finish ..same problem..and i was surprised it has no battery box..talk bout a case of ''what the??''
i had a choice of a SR505 or the 405 earlier on in the year ..i bought the 405 because of the laquered body..with the basswood and maple top its very resonant and with the new 5 piece maple and rosewood neck its very stable bass and it has a battery box
im upgrading the electroncs next year with a bartolini NTBT pre amp

Leslie
MaxOfMetal
#5 Posted : 12/20/2009 1:30:54 PM
MaxOfMetal

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You can always sand it down, and then add a thicker satin finish. It's a lot of work, but will last a hell of a lot longer than the current finish.
Current Ibanez "Heard":
91' UV7BK "Green Dot"
91' UV7PWH