Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Need help with wiring.........
pittbull
#1 Posted : 3/7/2010 8:01:38 AM

Groups: Member
Need some help im taking out the stock pickups of my Ibanez rg1550m,the stock pickups that im taking out are the ibanez V7-S1-V8,all are connected to a 5 way switch, the ibanez V7-V8(humbuckers)have 3 wires,one white,one red and one non coated wire(ground) the white wire is soldered to one of the terminals on the 5 way switch and the red wire is soldered to one of the terminals on the 5 way switch and the bare wire(ground)is soldered to the back of the volume pot, now the duncan 59 bridge and the Duncan alnico pro neck have 5 wires a black,red,white,green and bare wire,which one of these wires would go to the terminals and which ones would be taped together and i believe the green and bare wire are soldered together and are soldered to the back of the volume pot,the 5 way switch has 8 terminals,i greatly appreciate some help...........
customguitar
#2 Posted : 3/7/2010 8:44:39 AM
customguitar

goto www.guitarelectronics.com
HAMER STEVE STEVENS W/ DUNCAN JB & DIMARZIO SDS-1
KRAMER '1984' BARETTA W/ DIMARZIO PAF PRO
KRAMER GORKY PARK W/ EMG 81
IBANEZ RG 320 W/ DUNCAN SCREAMIN' DEMON
IBANEZ RG 321 W/ DIMARZIO SUPER DISTORTION
IBANEZ RG 320 W/ IBZ F2
FENDER LEAD III W/ STOCK P'UP
PEAVEY BACKSTAGE 50
DIGITECH RP250
DIGITECH BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL
BOSS GT 6

IN THE WORDS OF TESLA---"DONT DE-ROCK ME"
ehdwuld
#3 Posted : 3/7/2010 9:13:02 AM
ehdwuld

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
once again
copied and pasted exact same post at SD forum
responded there
EHDWULD
pittbull
#4 Posted : 3/7/2010 9:36:06 AM

ehdwuld,so whats wrong with that......
Ouija
#6 Posted : 3/7/2010 10:36:11 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)

There you go. Green and ground go to pot, Black is the hot wire and always goes to switch, Red & White are the coil tapping wires and get joined together and can go to switch or just left dangling (if you don't want coil tapping in some switch positions). On your original pickup, one of the switch wires is the hot, the other is the coil tap. It's just a case of figuring out which of the two wires of the Duncan (black or red/white) match those of the Ibanez pickups. As a general rule though, bridge, middle and neck hot wires tend to go to pins 1,2 & 3 with the coil taps of both pickups going to pins 6 and 8 (or not if you don't want coil tapping). Sometimes see it done the other way round with the hot wires going to pins 6,7,8 and the coil taps on 1 & 3, but it still works as the switch is symmetrical and light up something like this as you go through the five switch positions (blue being the two odd connections that a five way switch has over the standard three way in black).

1+6
2+6
2+7
2+8
3+8

You can see that without the coil taps on pins 6 & 8, you'd just get the middle pickup for the middle three positions of the switch (which are all pin 2 + ?)
ehdwuld
#5 Posted : 3/7/2010 12:06:58 PM
ehdwuld

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
pittbull wrote:
ehdwuld,so whats wrong with that......

nothing just noting that I've already responded
EHDWULD