Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Volume Pot
sergendrix
#1 Posted : 8/1/2010 3:25:41 AM

Groups: Member
I want to ask to some technician here,

why all the volume pot in all the ibanez guitar are LINEAR instead of logaritmic?

I have fender and it is LOG, Washburn and it have LOG, but strangely to me all the ibanez are linear.

i ask you this, cause i got some difficult to control volume especially passing from very soft sounds to very hard sounds

Why this?
Boogieman
#2 Posted : 8/1/2010 4:47:13 AM

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Some players, particularly jazz guitarists or those that use strictly clean tones, actually prefer a linear taper pot. On the plus side a linear taper gives easier dynamic control. Backing down the volume half way cuts the output in half (sorta'). Easy peasy. On the negative side a log pot makes volume swells more abrupt. It's also more difficult (touchy) to back down the volume to "clean things up". I for one don't really care about the volume pot's taper but I MUST have a log pot for my tone control.

You can also simulate (sorta') an audio taper pot by installing a 100k resistor across the linear pots (500k) input and center lugs. You may lose some highs...maybe not, but you should have a smoother taper than some of the more inexpensive audio taper pots.
Tracy Dae
#3 Posted : 8/1/2010 12:57:24 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 53 post(s)
sergendrix wrote:
why all the volume pot in all the ibanez guitar are LINEAR instead of logaritmic?

Its easier to answer why almost everyone else uses LOG pots for everything - volume and tone. It is simply because it is less expensive to use the same type of pot for everything. Since linear pots do not work well at all for tone controls, most manufacturers have chosen to use audio taper (logaritmic pots) for everything. Honestly, as far as the volume control goes most players do not notice the difference - nor do they care. I do - but most do not.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
#4 Posted : 8/1/2010 1:32:33 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Tracy Dae wrote:
Honestly, as far as the volume control goes most players do not notice the difference - nor do they care. I do - but most do not.

I don't care, for me it is either on or it is off. I would be fine with an on off switch, but I have gotten used to the look of at least one volume knob.

I don't care about versatility, I have plenty of variations of amps to cover that.