Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

SRTn preamp/pickup issues
danzo
#1 Posted : 9/28/2010 5:51:55 PM

Groups: Member
I'm so frustrated I could choke a puppy! Kidding, of course, but I absolutely love my EW20A with the B Band SRTn preamp, but I have hardly ANY volume at all. I did the obvious, replaced batteries, checked the pickup strip under the saddle, etc....but still almost no volume at all. Anyone run into this problem and possibly have a solution?
Matthew@ibanez
#2 Posted : 9/29/2010 9:27:25 AM
Matthew@ibanez

Groups: Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 67 post(s)
try these things...

1 - make sure your cable is in good working order.

then if that doesn't work

even out the saddle...make sure the bottom is flush and every part is hitting the pickup

if that don't work

try shimming under the pickup, just a small thin peice of plastic or something placed under the pickup (you may need to lower your saddle for this in order to maintain your action)

if that don't work

let me know when you purchased it, and we can help you with attaining warranty work :)
Maverick
#3 Posted : 4/9/2011 10:04:48 PM

Hello, I have a brand new Ibanez AEL 30 SE with the B Band SRTn preamp, and have the same problem. Hardly any volume, and lots of noise, using any of the guitar outputs. The thing is I got the guitar online from Germany, so if I don't have an easy solution I will have to send it back.
I tried my old Ibanez AE18 and the volume is at least 3 times louder!
tclim
#4 Posted : 4/11/2011 3:30:46 AM

Hi,

I got a 2nd hand AEG8E guitar recently. I have to turn the Amplifier and guitar volume to almost 9~10 (max) to hear the sound from the Amplifier. Is the SPT Pre-Amp probably faulty? I'm going to replace a better battery tonight, and see whether it makes a different.
By the way, I'm curious...do 2x AA (1.5V) battery "strong" enough? because i knew other electric-acoustic guitars use 9V battery.

Thanks!!
Matthew@ibanez
#5 Posted : 4/11/2011 9:55:39 AM
Matthew@ibanez

Groups: Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 67 post(s)
The problem you guys are having is low output...this can be caused by many things

Changing to a new good quality battery can help, but its likely an issue with your saddle not being in full contact with the pickup.

it may be un-even or it could be not properly seated.

the way to check this is to remove the saddle and see if it is flat...basically every part of the bottom of the saddle should be touching your pickup (located under the saddle)

I would also look at the manual to see if your eq system is at the correct settings as well...it could be something simple like a knob being all the way down.

it could also have something to do with the quality of the cables you are using.

if none of these fix your problem, I suggest contacting the Ibanez distributor in your area...the way to find that out is to go to

www.ibanez.com select your country and click "contact"

they will be able to help you find out what you need to do to get warranty work.
tclim
#6 Posted : 4/11/2011 10:10:00 AM

Thanks Matthew.
I changed to a better quality AA battery...problem remains. I'm gonna look for the local ibanez support.
Cheers
Happy
dnasitzes
#7 Posted : 3/19/2013 10:39:36 PM

Did anyone ever resolve any of these B-Band Ibanez SRTn issues? I am experiencing same problem where the guitar is putting out hardly any sound and it's not the battery or anything obvious as I have already checked this. I'm contacting B-Band to see if they can help me but curious if anyone else found out anything on this matter.
Bill@Ibanez
#8 Posted : 3/20/2013 12:53:38 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dnasitzes Go to Quoted Post
Did anyone ever resolve any of these B-Band Ibanez SRTn issues? I am experiencing same problem where the guitar is putting out hardly any sound and it's not the battery or anything obvious as I have already checked this. I'm contacting B-Band to see if they can help me but curious if anyone else found out anything on this matter.

As Matt said, low output on a piezo pickup system could be a number of things. Did you recently change the strings?

More often than not, people having a low output problem have recently changed strings. While changing the strings, there is less tension being put on the saddle, which can lead to it being able to move in its slot. I would take a look at the saddle, or if you are unfamiliar with how to fix the saddle, I would have a repair tech take a look at it. They would be able to troubleshoot and make sure it isn't something as simple as a leaning/uneven saddle. This could save a lot of time and $$$ in replacing electronics.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
dnasitzes
#9 Posted : 3/20/2013 3:09:12 PM

No I haven't changed strings at all since I've owned it. Nothing had changed on the saddle or anything.
Dick Foster
#10 Posted : 3/20/2013 4:01:54 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 49 post(s)
To your knowledge nothing has changed with the saddle but that doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't.

After all the guitar is a piece of wood that moves around with temp and humidity changes. Ever seen nails jack themselves right out of a deck? Even a bump the wrong way could get the saddle jarred a little out of position. It doesn't take much in the way of position or distance to get things cattywampus.

Seems like you're gonna have to give something a try to eventrully get to the bottom of it.

Originally Posted by: dnasitzes Go to Quoted Post
No I haven't changed strings at all since I've owned it. Nothing had changed on the saddle or anything.