Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

RG120 Restringing question
Line6SpiderLover
#1 Posted : 11/3/2010 10:46:45 PM
Line6SpiderLover

Groups: Member
I recently bought some Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom (.010-.052) strings and this is the first time replacing the strings that were already on the guitar which is whatever Ibanez strings them with (.009-.042 i think). What adjustments are going to need to be made to the guitar and how exactly do I do them. I know the bridge will probably raise up. So what do I do to counteract this problem.

Thanks!!
F*ck pop, LETS ROCK!
hibidy
#2 Posted : 11/3/2010 10:54:16 PM

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Which guitar/trem?

Hanes
Line6SpiderLover
#3 Posted : 11/3/2010 11:16:44 PM
Line6SpiderLover

It is the Ibanez RG120 and im pretty sure it is the FAT10 trem
F*ck pop, LETS ROCK!
Line6SpiderLover
#4 Posted : 11/3/2010 11:18:29 PM
Line6SpiderLover

http://picture.vzw.com/m....jpg&border=2,0,0,0
Heres a pic if it helps at all
F*ck pop, LETS ROCK!
hibidy
#5 Posted : 11/3/2010 11:24:22 PM

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'm not familiar with that trem, hopefully someone with mo' knowledge will chime in.

Some things I can tell you though:

-The bottom strings are going to be (of course) quite a bit thicker. I don't know it the nut needs to be honed down or not.

-It's going to add WAY more tension so it's quite possible you'll have to make adjustments to the neck and the trem (but again, I don't know that trem)

Hanes
Ouija
#6 Posted : 11/4/2010 9:04:02 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Line6SpiderLover wrote:
I recently bought some Ernie Ball skinny top heavy bottom (.010-.052) strings and this is the first time replacing the strings that were already on the guitar which is whatever Ibanez strings them with (.009-.042 i think). What adjustments are going to need to be made to the guitar and how exactly do I do them. I know the bridge will probably raise up. So what do I do to counteract this problem.

Thanks!!

Same basic alterations you always make when putting heavier strings on. You'll need to tighten the spring tension on the underside of the trem to counter the greater tension of the strings (if remaining in the same tuning). That's done by simply screwing the two screws that hold the other end of the springs further into the wood, or by adding an extra spring if they are already as far in as they can go.

You'll need to increase tension on the truss rod too, to counter the extra tension of the strings bending the neck back and creating higher action. In the region of a quarter to half a turn, i suspect, but there is no definitive amount (you just have to check the straightness of the neck afterwards and make up your own mind).

You'll probably want to raise the low E string side of the bridge slightly, increasing the sideways slant of the trem, since the top strings are now a bit thicker...