Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Upgrading an ARX300
flatfourfan
#1 Posted : 11/24/2010 5:39:41 AM

Groups: Member
Had this thing for about a month or so and I'm looking at changing a few things on it. Pups and neck nut are a first, are there anything else that I can looking at doing to this guitar that won't kill my bank account?

For a budget guitar, it don't half pack a punch, currently playing through my G100R HIWATT. Very limited info about the ARC300 on the web..............

Steelrobbin
#2 Posted : 11/24/2010 6:22:39 AM
Steelrobbin

Man
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Have a look some new electronics, CTS pots, braided wire and a new high quality capaciator. Metal pickup rings perhaps...

You could change the tuners as well as the bridge to locking ones but that is a rather expensive upgrade.
'13 RG8WH
'97 SC620BGN
'97 RG7621BK
'94 TC530BK
'92 RT452AM
'92 RT240VS
'91 RBM1BU

#3 Posted : 12/2/2010 12:12:40 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
we really must stop running into each other like this... LOL

wE'LL talk when I see you Happy
#4 Posted : 12/2/2010 12:13:22 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
we really must stop running into each other like this... LOL

wE'LL talk when I see you Happy
Dante
#5 Posted : 12/2/2010 10:03:20 PM
Dante

Man
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think you're on the right track - Pickups and a new nut are key to tone, as is the BRIDGE and pots/caps/wiring/etc.

Best of luck - looks like a nice guitar

BTW: I play my budget guitars (Korean AR, Chinese AS, and an Indonesian Squire Strat) a lot more than my high-end or collectable guitars FWIW
'82 PF-160 | '84 AM-50 | '86 AM-75 | '05 AR200 Goldtop | '06 AS83 | '11 RG4EXqm1
Guitars > TCE Nova System > Mesa Boogie DC-5
Tracy Dae
#6 Posted : 12/2/2010 10:25:58 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Two quick notes...

The bridge on ARX, ARC, ART, SZ & SZR guitars is the Gibralter III, for which there is no compatible generic replacement. However, the Gibralter III is actually a very good bridge - and it can be converted into a locking bridge very easily - and its not too expensive to do it. All you need is Tone Pro's metric locking studs...

CTS pots will require re-drilling the holes to make them big enough for the CTS pots. Alpha pots are every bit as good as CTS pots and they will not require re-drilling.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Aguitarnamedzero
#7 Posted : 12/3/2010 1:43:41 AM
Aguitarnamedzero

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
that guitar follows the generic set neck 24.75 scale inch guitar .. mahogany body/neck, maple to make it look pretty .. etc

upgrading the nut, pots, and output jack would be the first things on my mind if I was replacing parts. a complete setup done by either a pro at this stuff or you if you can do pro level setups would also be one of the first things done too.

as far as pickups, that's completely subjective. what do you want your guitar's voice to be? after answering that THEN move on to picking what you want to throw in there. for that I'd save up for dimarzios/duncans/emg's/bkp's .. etc .. something that's going to pay for itself in the long run instead of being cheap and hoping for an improvement with a cheaper pickup replacement. the ACH pickups (think that's what in that artist) are good enough that replacing them with something from gfs(or similar) would be a sidegrade at best IMO
slimakaphatj
#8 Posted : 12/31/2010 9:34:22 PM

I am new to this forum, but thought I'd put a word in here.

I have the same Guitar, exactly the same before they changed the tail piece and inlays etc. I pretty much love it and have already done a few mods, and an in the process of re-wiring again after putting a bit shielding in.

Issue with guitar - Mostly its issue free, awesome neck, well finished frets and generally nice looking. Had an earthing issue with the bridge when i first got it. Where the bridge meets the post screws the chrome was causing a weak electrical conection, simply needed a bit of sand paper to the bits that touch and you don't see. Not sure if anybody else came across this one?

Mods - I put in a Seymour Duncan Custom (Bridge) and a Dimarsio Humbucker from Hell (Neck). Put the stocks in one of those cheap and nasty Destroyer models i had lying around. I actually really liked the tone of the stocks but i thought the ARX deserved something with a little more class. I put two coil tap switches in and also a phase switch. I really like the toggle switch up where it is on the artist/les paul style models so moved that as well. Doing that was a little scary but it all worked out pretty well, just need to find a cover for it now, I wouldn't reckomend moving the toggle unless you are really good with a drill/or have a drill press, as you need a make pretty big hole coming from the back and you have to be so careful so not to chip the finish.

I got hold of a pair of tone riders pups the other day and i might stick them in to see if I like the sound, They are Zebras so look really sweet and i have heard allot of people saying they are good. The current ones are white and black so it does look a little odd.

Cheers.