Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Ibanez RG 270 DX
chac
#1 Posted : 7/27/2010 4:22:21 PM
chac

Groups: Member
Hello every one I'm new to the forum and thought i would share some pictures of my Ibanez RG 270 DX that i have redone i paid about $100.00 for this guitar used and have about $200.00
invested into it not to mention hours of devoted time to get it to look the way it looks today
and I'm still up grading.
I have posted be for and after pictures so have a look and let me know what you think

Be for

after

SBriand
#2 Posted : 7/27/2010 4:26:26 PM
SBriand

Nice work. What all did you end up doing to it?
Tom@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 7/27/2010 4:54:21 PM
Tom@Ibanez

Medals: Medal of Awesomeness: Awarded to the most righteous dude on the planet.

Groups: Administration
Man
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 40 post(s)
chac
#3 Posted : 7/27/2010 6:23:37 PM
chac

SBriand wrote:
Nice work. What all did you end up doing to it?

first i had to strip the whole guitar down to the bare wood because some had used blue enamel
spray paint on it and didn't let it dry be for handling it and left finger prints on it
then i primer it with 3 coats lacquer primer after that i sprayed it with 4 coats of white
nitrocellulose lacquer paint then i used red car pin pinstripeing to make the spider web design once that was on i sprayed 4 heavy coats of nitrocellulose clear lacquer and let it dry for a month.
i replaced the old Bridge pickup with Megametal Humbucker and the Neck pickup with Megametal Humbucker the middle pickup is a Mini Rail Humbucker all the pickups are made by guitarheads
i replaced volume pot and tone pot neither worked and a few wire's going to the pots.
The Pickup Rings,Truss Rod Cover,Tremolo Cover and pots cover are all custom made
i am in the process of replacing the Tuner Buttons with custom made
i will post pictures when replace them
so there you go thats what i did to it so far
guitarest99
#5 Posted : 7/27/2010 7:58:51 PM
guitarest99

Not being disrespectful but too bad you did all that work on such a cheap guitar. A better RG you would have a better guitar.
The most powerful forces in American life, are forces that are not voted in and out of office every two or four years. And it represents a belief that Americans must force that reckoning by themselves. No politician will do it for them. Those instincts are exactly right, and we’ve never needed them more than today.

ehdwuld
#9 Posted : 7/27/2010 8:12:35 PM
ehdwuld

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
guitarest99 wrote:
Not being disrespectful but too bad you did all that work on such a cheap guitar. A better RG you would have a better guitar.

not to be disrespectful
but you could keep that type of negative post to yourself

the man did a wonderful job
if it were a more expensive piece he probably wouldn't have attempted it

the OP is proud of the accomplishment and should be praised for it
EHDWULD
SBriand
#10 Posted : 7/27/2010 8:35:55 PM
SBriand

ehdwuld wrote:
guitarest99 wrote:

not to be disrespectful
but you could keep that type of negative post to yourself

the man did a wonderful job
if it were a more expensive piece he probably wouldn't have attempted it

the OP is proud of the accomplishment and should be praised for it

qft
chac
#8 Posted : 7/27/2010 8:39:35 PM
chac

guitarest99 wrote:

I'd say it's a better guitar already
Aguitarnamedzero
#6 Posted : 7/27/2010 8:54:12 PM
Aguitarnamedzero

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
guitarest99 wrote:

there was this guitarist in the 1970's . . bought a body/neck from charvel IIRC. I do know that these parts were factory seconds and were most likely undesirable pieces of wood to build a guitar from. then this guitarist put them together and slapped a humbucker into the bridge slot. this guitar put together cost about 150 bucks in 1970's money (roughly 500 bucks in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation) turns out this guitarist changed the way guitars were both built and played, introduced a new style of guitar to the market as a result of his efforts.

another guitarist I know used a guitar that wasn't considered a real instrument. wasn't built like "normal" guitars were. these things were made cheap and out of solid pieces of wood. they didn't follow "good" guitar building methods. these cheap working class instruments were bolted together as if they were assembled like regular consumer goods. they had no respect for tradition in their design either. this guitarist used this cheap guitar that was put together like a cheap consumer appliance to DEFINE the majority (if not all) of the electric guitar's vocabulary as a solo insturment

the guitarists and guitars in question? eddie van halen's frankenstein and the strats that jimi hendrix used

so if anybody wants to feed the "buy a good guitar" line to anybody then go right ahead. but at the end of the day. . . there's been far more guitarists that have done earth moving feats with the cheap, seemingly shoddy guitars that are had for cheap than the pretentious douchebags that play guitar with their eyes and get the 20 000 buck PRS private stock gear
guysullavin
#7 Posted : 7/28/2010 2:19:21 AM
guysullavin

Aguitarnamedzero wrote:
guitarest99 wrote:

there was this guitarist in the 1970's . . bought a body/neck from charvel IIRC. I do know that these parts were factory seconds and were most likely undesirable pieces of wood to build a guitar from. then this guitarist put them together and slapped a humbucker into the bridge slot. this guitar put together cost about 150 bucks in 1970's money (roughly 500 bucks in today's dollars after adjusting for inflation) turns out this guitarist changed the way guitars were both built and played, introduced a new style of guitar to the market as a result of his efforts.

another guitarist I know used a guitar that wasn't considered a real instrument. wasn't built like "normal" guitars were. these things were made cheap and out of solid pieces of wood. they didn't follow "good" guitar building methods. these cheap working class instruments were bolted together as if they were assembled like regular consumer goods. they had no respect for tradition in their design either. this guitarist used this cheap guitar that was put together like a cheap consumer appliance to DEFINE the majority (if not all) of the electric guitar's vocabulary as a solo insturment

the guitarists and guitars in question? eddie van halen's frankenstein and the strats that jimi hendrix used

so if anybody wants to feed the "buy a good guitar" line to anybody then go right ahead. but at the end of the day. . . there's been far more guitarists that have done earth moving feats with the cheap, seemingly shoddy guitars that are had for cheap than the pretentious douchebags that play guitar with their eyes and get the 20 000 buck PRS private stock gear
Or your forgetting a certain musician who had purchased multiple pawned Fender Strats, taking only the best parts from each to develop his guitar.

This musician is also known as Eric Clapton
Originally Posted by: "John Petrucci" Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: "aJPfan" Go to Quoted Post
What do you think about the thought of releasing an instructional video that explores the depths of music and songwriting, deepens into theory and the idea of tension and release which you so well master, and the creational side of the mind.... other than technique?

I wish Steve Vai would make that video.
guitarest99
#11 Posted : 7/28/2010 9:58:54 AM
guitarest99

Well since I dont play "Private Stock" and I stand on my position. I didnt say he did a bad job and in fact its a great job; that said its still a cheaper guitar. If it would have been a 550 or even a 400 series, then it would have better hardware and neck.

So that said I still think its sad all that work into this guitar.
The most powerful forces in American life, are forces that are not voted in and out of office every two or four years. And it represents a belief that Americans must force that reckoning by themselves. No politician will do it for them. Those instincts are exactly right, and we’ve never needed them more than today.

SBriand
#13 Posted : 7/28/2010 10:43:47 AM
SBriand

You may think it is sad but you're in the minority. I know you say "no disrespect" but your posts are nothing but blatant disrespect no matter which way you look at it. You are well known around here as looking down on other posters who don't save up their money and buy expensive MIJ guitars or aren't lucky enough to find that MIJ guitar being sold by an idiot for a ridiculous price. You may have the luxury of buying anything your little heart desires but maybe this guy doesn't. Maybe he had a $300 budget to work with and he did WHAT HE WANTED TO DO AND IT MADE HIM HAPPY. Who are you to crap on it? Maybe he has $3000 to spend but has decided he wanted this guitar and to do this work. Again, who are you to crap on it? Just ignore the threads dealing with all the inferior crap guitars. All you are doing is putting down other people and though I know it is not your intention, all it does is start fights. Your way is not the only way. Sorry to burst your bubble.
#15 Posted : 7/28/2010 11:31:50 AM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
SBriand wrote:
Who are you to crap on it?

And who are you to get so irate about another persons opinion. Reality check!

SBriand
#16 Posted : 7/28/2010 11:59:26 AM
SBriand

jl-austin wrote:
SBriand wrote:
Who are you to crap on it?

And who are you to get so irate about another persons opinion. Reality check!

Did my post come across as if I am sitting at my computer angrily typing making the keys on my keyboard crack under the harsh pressure of my furious rage? Because that was not my intention and after re-reading it, I don't see that tone there. I offered up no personal insults or anything that harsh. I am just stating my opinion that going into other peoples topics and putting them down is not a nice thing to do especially when you do it often. I like this forum because for the most part everyone is supportive of each other and help each other out often. But sometimes the opposite happens and if it happens when I am bored at work, I will respond to it.

I am not angry in the slightest. Little tired as I have had insomnia for the last week and a half and I am bummed out because I thought Hells Kitchen was on last night so I can watch it at work today on Hulu, but I will live.

*shrugs*

Guess I will just go back to ebay looking for some decent deal on a tube amp. Carry on. I am done here, I said my peace.
guitarest99
#14 Posted : 7/28/2010 1:20:27 PM
guitarest99

SBriand wrote:
You may think it is sad but you're in the minority. I know you say "no disrespect" but your posts are nothing but blatant disrespect no matter which way you look at it. You are well known around here as looking down on other posters who don't save up their money and buy expensive MIJ guitars or aren't lucky enough to find that MIJ guitar being sold by an idiot for a ridiculous price. You may have the luxury of buying anything your little heart desires but maybe this guy doesn't. Maybe he had a $300 budget to work with and he did WHAT HE WANTED TO DO AND IT MADE HIM HAPPY. Who are you to crap on it? Maybe he has $3000 to spend but has decided he wanted this guitar and to do this work. Again, who are you to crap on it? Just ignore the threads dealing with all the inferior crap guitars. All you are doing is putting down other people and though I know it is not your intention, all it does is start fights. Your way is not the only way. Sorry to burst your bubble.

When is 400.00-500.00 ridiculous a high price the RG 350 is around that price after a case is purchased. Say what you will I said what I did and it was blown so out of shape its not even funny. YOu read into ever thing I said. But I expect that with internet flaming; when you grow up re-read what I said and then you can do the grown up thing and say I'm sorry. For your outlandish posts about The Berienger is the best amp in the world and you want people to fight about it to this.

Again read and understand whats wrote not between the lines.

1: I think its a great job and never took anything away from that
2: I think it could have been a better intrument of choice but I hope this is not the last guitar that this person does.

Now go in your little world and chill the hell out.

sephiroth
#17 Posted : 7/28/2010 1:49:48 PM
sephiroth

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Guitarest plz understand that your comment could very easily be taken as a negative saying towards the OP.Really everyone needs to simmer down.(wheres that pic when its needed!)
1993 S540OL
2007 rg5ex1
2004 kerry king sig (pack version)
pedals(digitech)-metal master,multi chorus,main squeeze,death metal,rp250(FIXED!!!!!)
amp-epiphone studio 10,zack wylde sig micro stack
chac
#12 Posted : 7/28/2010 2:13:36 PM
chac

guitarest99 wrote:
Well since I dont play "Private Stock" and I stand on my position. I didnt say he did a bad job and in fact its a great job; that said its still a cheaper guitar. If it would have been a 550 or even a 400 series, then it would have better hardware and neck.

So that said I still think its sad all that work into this guitar.

ok so you say it's a cheap guitar yes you are 25% right but what you fail to realize is that why would i go buy a Ibanez RG2550E RG Prestige for $999.99 and redo itEh just plain crazy after all it wouldn't be my creation.
This reminds me of when i started playing in 1990 all the kids had to have High end guitars back then
a Kramer was about $500.00 at my local music store and a Ibanez RG Series was around $400.00 at the cheapest
but when all the smoke cleared these kids didn't sound any better on those High end guitars that their parents bought them for $400.00 & $500.00 which leads me to say this one day i went to my local music store in Utica where i still live today
to get some new guitar strings i walked in and there was this 15 year old kid playing on a cheap $125.00
hondo guitar and he made this cheap guitar sound out of this world today this 15 year old kid turn out to be
Smokin Joe Bonamassa that has went pro and has played along side of B.B. King ,Eric Clapton,Robert Cray and even Stephen Stills so the way i have always seen it is that it's not the Guitar that make you sound
great it's the guitar player that makes the guitar sound great
Matthew@ibanez
#18 Posted : 7/28/2010 2:50:06 PM
Matthew@ibanez

Groups: Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Wow! I really shouldn't of Ignored this post!

ok...Matthews Itemized list and opinions on this topic

eh hem

1) Chac...rock on dude...I love the guitar, you made it your own and that is a WONDERFUL thing! IMO half of the point of a mod (or total makeover in your case) is doing the mod itself! it makes you understand guitars better, its fun! and nothing beats the excitement of thinking of new ways to make your guitar YOURS!

2) Jocko - Man you know I got nothing but love for you and I know out right you didn't mean to offend anyone. maybe instead of " I still think its sad all that work into this guitar." maybe offer up some things he can add to make it a "better" guitar in your opinion...like nice pickups, better hardware etc (this not only makes you not look like a jerk, and gets your point across, but it gives Chac some more ideas on how to make his baby better! like I stated before, half the fun of a mod, is doing the mod itself!)This place is a community where guitarists with similar interests can share thoughts and opinions to make the whole community better...just saying something isn't good without offering anything to the table (which I know you have suggestions bc your a smart dude who has been around the block) isn't exactly fair...I'm sure Chac would love to hear what you would do with the project.

3) SBriand - you're correct there is no room for negativity here...no one should be looked down apon. hell my first guitar I found in the trash! and I have never spent over $600 on an instrument so I get the majority of what you are saying...Only yeah, you kinda do come off mad in some of those posts...dial it back a bit, getting too mad about something doesn't help anyone. Great intentions defending Chac's work but you know Jocko didn't mean it as harsly as it came off, and Chac seems pretty proud none the less and realitively un-affected by the comment.

all this brings up a good point

Remember if anyone offends you on this site, contact Tom or Myself...were here to help and make sure this is a positive atmosphere...this was a bit of a false alarm (based on the fact it involves 2 members who usually are very nice and contribute alot to conversations) but ...no one should be put down here and I will make sure that none of you are.

Unless I'm the one putting you down HAHAHAHA

now am I good or am I good!

::takes bow, gets off of his soap box, and smugly eats an apple::

chac
#19 Posted : 7/28/2010 7:40:48 PM
chac

just added some new tuning buttons let me know what you think

guysullavin
#25 Posted : 7/28/2010 8:07:36 PM
guysullavin

not gonna lie, don't like them. It looks like a drug dealers dashboard.
Originally Posted by: "John Petrucci" Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: "aJPfan" Go to Quoted Post
What do you think about the thought of releasing an instructional video that explores the depths of music and songwriting, deepens into theory and the idea of tension and release which you so well master, and the creational side of the mind.... other than technique?

I wish Steve Vai would make that video.