Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Korean Jem Jr Real or Fake? XXX
petrove_86
#1 Posted : 6/26/2008 4:29:00 PM
petrove_86

Groups: Member
Man
Well it's to good to be true. I told my dad that it didn't seem right but he bought it anyway, it by the way was supposed to be a Jem 7V for $1000 off of ebay. What I want to know is who's making these fakes? It says Team J Craft and everything on the back of the headstock but strangely it also states that it is from Korea if you're going to make a fake why not make it believable. What's stranger though is it sounds and plays great although it was horribly set up when it got here, nothing I couldn't fix. This is the case it came with which has Ibanez embossed on the top side of it. What I want to know is what quality of workmanship goes into these things, and any info on these guitars anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

Also it says jem Jr on the headstock does that make a difference in anything I had previously said, or is it just another flaw on there part? I heard that there were some jems made in Korea but not sure which ones, knowing that just made me think that I might be wrong about something.

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
Ouija
#2 Posted : 6/27/2008 2:33:10 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Are you telling me that your dad couldn't tell that's a fake. Come on. Theres almost nothing right about it. From the wrong trem to wrong pickups to the wrong logo to the wrong cavity covers to the wrong pickuguard to the wrong neck joint bolt alignments etc. I'm sure even more people will spot some stuff i've left out.
Megatron
#3 Posted : 6/27/2008 2:36:17 AM
Megatron

Man
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What? Dude that's real! It even says "Made dy Team J-Craft Korea"

LOL
Attention noobzors:
THE PICKUP GUIDE
THE TREM GUIDE

Yes that's mine.. and it IS real Mother of Pearl.. inlaid in Ebony!
petrove_86
#4 Posted : 6/27/2008 3:58:13 AM
petrove_86

Man
Quote:
Are you telling me that your dad couldn't tell that's a fake. Come on. Theres almost nothing right about it. From the wrong trem to wrong pickups to the wrong logo to the wrong cavity covers to the wrong pickuguard to the wrong neck joint bolt alignments etc. I'm sure even more people will spot some stuff i've left out.

It's that bad of a copy huh, I thought it was pretty bad but all I had really noticed was the trem, really rough inner cavities and logo. From the add on ebay it didn't give that great of a picture and it's probably a fake as well, which led to some confusion but it went on to say authentic and all that shit so he went ahead and got it.

He seems to be fairly happy with it once I lowered the action for him that is. That is the strange thing about it though, it seems to play pretty good which was actually making me think they might of had a cheaper Korean version of it but I have yet to find anything on the net that doesn't lead me back to the idea that it is a fake. For some reason though he still believes it is an official Ibanez Jem worth $3000. I want to know if anybody knows who the people are behind making these fakes, because even though he got it for $1000 I still believe he got burned, but for some reason he doesn't feel the need to do anything about it.
bryanarzaga
#5 Posted : 6/27/2008 6:00:15 AM
bryanarzaga

Man
class c fake, made by eguitar.cn
Ibbys: USARG30, ART2EX1, RG1527, 1608 J.custom, 2020X, RX60, RT150 93' , GRX720

Non Ibbys: Suhr Modern, Benford Firechief, Warrior Instruments Knight, Gary Kramer Crusader 1 & 2, Fender Blacktop Strat, Gibson 60's tribute Lp, SX PB hawk, Ed Roman Baker, Taylor Baby acoustic

AMPS: Bugera 1960 + SA cab, Bugera V22, Blackstar HT5 Halfstack

http://www.soundclick.com/bryanarzaga
aaron wahl
#6 Posted : 6/29/2008 6:43:55 PM
aaron wahl

Man
It looks like the cheapy Ibanez Jems made in China. They get sold on ebay for like $300, and are way different from the real thing.
metalmike550
#7 Posted : 6/29/2008 7:25:09 PM
metalmike550

Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
i was just on the bay looking at one of thoes. its a cheapy copy but hey if you didnt pay a truck load of cash for it then go for it i guess. your post said your dad paid 1000.00$ for it. is that true? i saw them going for 200-300$ just 10 minutes ago.
My gear.....

A guitar or two

An amp

Some chords

Some pedals
petrove_86
#8 Posted : 6/30/2008 9:47:53 PM
petrove_86

Man
metalmike550 wrote:
i was just on the bay looking at one of thoes. its a cheapy copy but hey if you didnt pay a truck load of cash for it then go for it i guess. your post said your dad paid 1000.00$ for it. is that true? i saw them going for 200-300$ just 10 minutes ago.

No I was wrong he said it was $900 shipped. I should have added that after I asked him but I guess I forgot. He said it was $700 to buy, $200 to ship. Still quite the rip off when they're going for $200-$300. I have started to get him to realize that he was ripped off though.

I just thought I would add that all the information I have posted to this point is all from my dads mouth, he actually had a friend order it for him, I just wish he would have shown it to me instead of just telling me about it, I probably could have got him to reconsider it after I saw the pics of it. Also neither of us have ever actually played an authentic jem so we have no idea on what to compare the copy to. So I'm sure the thing plays like absolute crap compared to the originals but so far he seems to be happy with it. I'm thinking about picking up an authentic jem 7V pretty soon though, just to show him what a piece of crap his is compared to a real one.
chaos731
#9 Posted : 7/9/2008 8:47:10 AM

That thing is as fake as the day is long, as they say.

Here's the obvious stuff...and no, I didn't read the other posts...I'm just doing this at a glance...

Problem one: what the heck is a "Jem Jr." anyway?
Problem two: the serial number starts with an "F" (which would imply a guitar made in Japan at the Fujigen factory), but it says Made in Korea" underneath. Shenanigans. Personally, I doubt that it was made in EITHER country.

Problem three: the layout, type of hardware, etc, all point to a bog-standard Chibanez (that is, a cheap Ibanez ripoff made in some sweat shop in China)...this color scheme is very often a dead giveaway.

No, what you've got there is a fake, and a sloppy one at that.

But, as with all things, if it plays well for you, and you like the sound, it doesn't really matter...as long as owning something so patently illegal doesn't bother you.
:)
ATKiller
#10 Posted : 7/9/2008 9:04:04 AM
ATKiller

If you want to see the real white Jem-Jr, check out the Ibanez parts site. Go to Signature model and scroll down to the Steve Vai section.
"The Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint."
bryanarzaga
#11 Posted : 7/9/2008 11:15:37 AM
bryanarzaga

Man
that whole guitar from a chinese factory only cost 130USD shipping included :), there's only two factories that make the copies, one uses the F serial number and this is the factory right across the street of the one that made the one above..lol

Non Ibbys: Suhr Modern, Benford Firechief, Warrior Instruments Knight, Gary Kramer Crusader 1 & 2, Fender Blacktop Strat, Gibson 60's tribute Lp, SX PB hawk, Ed Roman Baker, Taylor Baby acoustic

jwenting
#12 Posted : 7/9/2008 12:28:09 PM

Man
the selector switch and tone/volume knobs look identical to the ones used on mid-1990s Epiphone S210s (and maybe other models).
Is someone still making those parts and selling them to these criminal shops or is it that old?
bryanarzaga
#13 Posted : 7/9/2008 12:40:00 PM
bryanarzaga

Man
jwenting wrote:
the selector switch and tone/volume knobs look identical to the ones used on mid-1990s Epiphone S210s (and maybe other models).
Is someone still making those parts and selling them to these criminal shops or is it that old?

the people requesting these models to be duplicated are the criminals the factory just do what they are told. anyway because there are tons of factories in china that make guitar parts so its nothing new you will find things that are similar, because labor is cheap but with better Q.C you will get better guitars. thats why some korean and japanese companies have one of their own doing the final inspection before the products pass QC. also its a budget thing/ if you say i have a $80 budget make this guitar they will build your guitar with wood and parts that is worth $80 lol.