Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Need Help - RG2570E - Restringing Problem
JediXag
#1 Posted : 4/16/2009 8:34:20 AM
JediXag

Groups: Member
I barely got this guitar a few months back and haven't gotten to use it all that much but I do love it. Anyway, it's time to restring it due to the High E snapping during a bend.

I restrung the High E but afterwards it had a strange buzz to it and didn't sound right at all. If I turn any further I'm sure it will snap.

The new strings I'm using are Elixirs Medium .011-.049 and I have no idea what the previous gauge is. (Have yet to restring the others though)

Any ideas or tips on where to go from here?

Quote:
Neck: Wizard Prestige

Neck Material: 5-piece Maple/ Walnut

Body: Basswood

Frets: 24 jumbo

Finger Board: Bound Rosewood

Bridge: Edge Pro

Pickups:
DiMarzio IBZ (H) Neck PU
DiMarzio IBZ (S) Mid PU
DiMarzio IBZ (H) Bridge PU

Thanks!
hikaruzero
#2 Posted : 4/16/2009 8:46:56 AM
hikaruzero

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Quote:
I restrung the High E but afterwards it had a strange buzz to it and didn't sound right at all. If I turn any further I'm sure it will snap.

Okay, you're going to have to be a little more specific as to the kind of buzz. Is it buzzing off of one of the frets when you hold the string down? Is it buzzing while played open? Where is the buzzing coming from (use your ears)? Nut? Frets? Saddle?

Quote:
The new strings I'm using are Elixirs Medium .011-.049 and I have no idea what the previous gauge is. (Have yet to restring the others though)

Why are you mixing strings, especially if you don't know what the previous gauge and/or brand is? You should be changing them all, not just one when it breaks.

In any case, the Youtube video says it's unavailable. :(
JediXag
#3 Posted : 4/16/2009 8:59:01 AM
JediXag

Sorry, I'm not with the guitar at the moment as I had to make a quick stop to my Uni. (I'll be back to it soon so please continue to help)

Well I'm not mixing strings, I was restringing one string at a time instead of taking them all off at once. I stopped at the first I did which was the High E because of the buzzing.

Thanks for your help!
Ouija
#4 Posted : 4/16/2009 11:34:31 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
The old strings (if they are the one that came with the guitar new) are D'Addario XL120's (.009 .0042). Sticking heavier gauge stings on the guitar will require the guitar to be completely re-setup. Including truss rod adjustment (because the tighter strings will bend the neck forwards, raising string height above the frets), trem height adjustment (because the strings are thicker and the trem needs to compensate for that) and trem spring adjustment (because the strings will pull on the bridge with greater force, causing it to tilt forwards at the incorrect angle).
JediXag
#5 Posted : 4/18/2009 10:21:37 PM
JediXag

Thanks for the reply and it did help, however there's a new problem! (Possibly from the .011 I had tried to use or the tension release from when the string snapped)

I stuck some D'Addario XL120s on it and they sound great except for that High E.

This string will only bend correctly up until the 5th fret. Further down the neck and it won't sustain the bend at all. The notes further down however do sustain, just not with a bend. I'm guessing something was thrown out of alignment here (like you mentioned) so what specific troubleshooting step would I need to do to get my High E workin properly again? I'd hate to go and do something that will throw all 6 completely out of whack so I'm askin here.
But yeah, I've never had this problem before with my previous RG so I'm not sure what and how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks again for the help and patience!
Ouija
#6 Posted : 4/19/2009 7:45:10 AM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
You need to adjust your truss rod and/or trem height. Choking on string bends is down to the action of the guitar plus the radius of the neck (lower radius allow you to push it further before choking, by the way). There's not much you can do about fretboard radius, as that's determined by the factory, so you'll need to get the neck curvature and trem height adjusted to the correct curvature and height. Hunt around and you'll find enough people have asked this sort of question before.