Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
About AS83 model
AlbertG
#86 Posted : 2/6/2008 11:31:56 AM
AlbertG


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: United States
BmanCV,

Let us know how it works out. You won't be disappointed with the AS73. But like all mass produced guitars, play a few 'accoustically' to find the one the suits you best. When I shop for an electric guitar, I play it unplugged, because I try to determine how well it resonates and also to spot any bad fret areas. Each piece of wood is unique for its degree of resonance...and it's voice. I think this is more important than evaluating pickups...pups can always be changed. Of course, once you've narrowed down the choices, plug it in to a decent tube amp to determine if the pups work properly. When I bought my LP Classic about 5-6 years ago, I had the salesman pull 6 guitars from stock and set me up in their quiet accoustic guitar room. I could tell he was a seasoned player...he understood where I was coming from. Only 2 of the 6 LPs were 'players'...the wood used to build the other 4 guitars should instead have been used for furniture or canoe paddles...dead sounding...no resonance. Buy a guitar for it's feel and sound...not for cosmetics. Sometimes the ugly duck has the best voice and feel...

I would still like to hear from forumites of any 'well-stocked' Ibanez dealers...I want an AM73, and possibly an AS83, and something similar to an AR300 (solid body with humbuckers). But I want a dealer who actually 'stocks' a few of each. Do they exist?? I understand that Ibanez has a distribution warehouse in Bensalem, PA, near my home...but I have been unable to find it or contact them. Wouldn't it be great to go there and pick out a few guitars that I could then make arrangements to buy through a local dealer?? I'd be will to go that route.

Too many of my local dealers have only 1 or none of the above Ibanez models. Too much of their wall space is dedicated to 'F' and 'G's...I understand F and G will only sell to dealers willing to dedicate enough wall space for their guitars and exclude other brands...I hate bullies...especially when some of their current product lacks quality, are poor values, hasn't changed in years except for cosmetics and increasing price, and their reputation rests more on their 'history' than on quality/value of current product. I guess their afraid of the competition...sound like a bunch of pu$$ies to me... I got a message for them...take heed of what happened to the American auto manufacturers in the 80's and 90's...can you say 'Honda'???

Whew...I gotta get off my soapbox and do some pickin and grinnin'...

My best to all...
rraguse
#87 Posted : 2/6/2008 11:51:48 AM
rraguse


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/31/2007(UTC)
Posts: 471
Man
Location: Eastern Burbs of Kansas City
Thanks: 1 times
AlbertG wrote:
I would still like to hear from forumites of any 'well-stocked' Ibanez dealers...I want an AM73, and possibly an AS83.

AlbertG, I bought an AM73 in October. I love it, it's my favorite guitar. I bought it without trying one as there weren't any (save one with a Bigsby Tremelo) in all of St. Louis. I had to rely on trying AS73's and AGS83's to get my feel for Artcores. Well I'm ready for an AS83 or an AS73 TCR to replace my Epiphone Dot Studio I giving to my daughter and son-in-law. If you like gits with "F" holes then Artcores are the way to go. For the money you cannot beat them with any substitute.

AlbertG wrote:
Sometimes the ugly duck has the best voice and feel...

That was kind of the feeling about AM73's as they are refered to as "Dog Poo Brown" and now they "Goth Flat Black." If you can still get an AM73 TBR get it...you'll be glad you did!...well unless you like flat black then you'll still be glad you did!

I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
AlbertG
#88 Posted : 2/7/2008 10:15:19 AM
AlbertG


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: United States
RRguse,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you mail ordered your AM73. I would like one but have reservations about mail orders for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Oh and my comment about the 'ugly ducks' was not a reference to the AM73 or AS73...just a general comment that tone and playability should be foremost in a purchase. I think they are great looking guitars, whose appeal continues to grow on me. I have the trans cherry AS73. Looks great...plays great, etc. I ordered the SKB335 case (older style locks). The inside of the case is a deep red that looks like it was made for the guitar. I had to massage the inside of the case at the locations of the guitar body horns and neck heel to make it fit...and now it's tight and right. You just need to push/compress the foam about 1/4 inch in those areas and your good to go.

Where did you order your AM73? I have no problem with the brown color (although options would be nice!) I just don't want to get into the rut of shipping back and forth if I don't like the playability of the particular guitar I receive...its a luck of the draw thing. I once ordered a Roadhouse Strat from a local dealer. I asked them not to open the factory box...told them I wanted to do it. Well the guitar gods were smiling on me that day because the guitar the factory sent was near perfect in function and looks. The guy at the dealership pulled me aside and told me I made the right move because if the other sales guys saw that particular guitar I would never have gotten it...one of them would have claimed it for themselves. And that is part of the reason I have reservations about the mail order thing. If I worked at a guitar warehouse...I would be going through the stock to look for the 'cherry' units also.

I'm getting ready to send Ibanez an email about pumping up the AM73 line. Whoever is making the decisions about this model at Ibanez must have been dropped on her/his head in the delivery room...c'mon flat black!!...are they freakin' nuts...uh, not everyone has the goth thing going on...obviously this was a marketing mickey mousketeer type making the decision and not a guitar player. I don't get the mindset. The AM is a very appealing and versatile guitar...especially for Blues and RR. Wake up Ibanez!!!

I checked out some web dealers yesterday who appear to have the brown AM73s. I might go for it. But I would also like an AS83 and an AR300-like guitar to replace my LP Classic.

Please let me know where you ordered your AM. Thanks and regards...
rraguse
#89 Posted : 2/7/2008 6:50:48 PM
rraguse


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/31/2007(UTC)
Posts: 471
Man
Location: Eastern Burbs of Kansas City
Thanks: 1 times
AlbertG wrote:
RRguse,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like you mail ordered your AM73.

Where did you order your AM73? I have no problem with the brown color (although options would be nice!)
I'm getting ready to send Ibanez an email about pumping up the AM73 line. Whoever is making the decisions about this model at Ibanez must have been dropped on her/his head in the delivery room...c'mon flat black!!...are they freakin' nuts...uh, not everyone has the goth thing going on...obviously this was a marketing mickey mousketeer type making the decision and not a guitar player. I don't get the mindset. The AM is a very appealing and versatile guitar...especially for Blues and RR. Wake up Ibanez!!!

I checked out some web dealers yesterday who appear to have the brown AM73s. I might go for it. But I would also like an AS83 and an AR300-like guitar to replace my LP Classic.

Please let me know where you ordered your AM. Thanks and regards...


Hey AlbertG, I ordered my AM73 from my local (not Guitar Center) authorized Ibanez dealer. He made me a great deal, hard-shell case included $407 after Missouri State Sales Tax. The proprietor checked out every detail thoroughly before calling me to let me know it had arrived. It took six business days.

Because of my experience with my Dot Studio, I brought my tuner, chord and strap with me. I check out the intonation right there in the store. I plugged it into a Peavey TransTube EFX effects amp and played with it for about twenty minutes. Greg asks, "well do you want to take it home," as I was not under any obligation to buy it, YES! So I now have a 4 months young AM73 that I am totally in love with. Since I consider it to be a beautiful brunette I named it Carmen after Denise Richards character in "Starship Troopers", Carmen Ibanez.

Anyway, click the following link to read my post about my guitar. I have Rusty & Dizzy to thank for steering me in that direction.

http://www.ibanez.com/fo...st68592_My-New-AM73.aspx
I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
BillB1960
#91 Posted : 2/7/2008 7:51:52 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
I'm sorry but I just have to say this thread has gone over the top. Evidently American made guitars have become the worst pieces of excrement on the planet and we should all be running to our nearest guitar outlet to buy a highly sought after yet somehow miraculously underpriced Chinese made guitar. Gimme a break folks! I realize this is an Ibanez forum but if you really think the fit & finish on a $329 guitar is better than a $2000 American made axe then you either need your head examined or you need to clue us all in an what you've been smoking cause I want some!
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
Tflanster
#93 Posted : 2/7/2008 8:21:48 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2007(UTC)
Posts: 408
Location: United States
Thanks: 1 times
Well shoot folks. Anyone want to buy my AF75? It's for sale. I'm looking for a cheap Gibson 335. If I can get $300 for my Ibanez I think there's a 335 locally I can get for $400. All reasonable offers considered.
An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .
BillB1960
#94 Posted : 2/7/2008 8:30:35 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
Tflanster wrote:
Well shoot folks. Anyone want to buy my AF75? It's for sale. I'm looking for a cheap Gibson 335. If I can get $300 for my Ibanez I think there's a 335 locally I can get for $400. All reasonable offers considered.


As soon as AlbertG quits bogartin' and shares his stuff I may just be willin' to make that deal!
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
rraguse
#92 Posted : 2/7/2008 9:39:08 PM
rraguse


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/31/2007(UTC)
Posts: 471
Man
Location: Eastern Burbs of Kansas City
Thanks: 1 times
BillB1960 wrote:
I'm sorry but I just have to say this thread has gone over the top. Evidently American made guitars have become the worst pieces of excrement on the planet and we should all be running to our nearest guitar outlet to buy a highly sought after yet somehow miraculously underpriced Chinese made guitar. Gimme a break folks! I realize this is an Ibanez forum but if you really think the fit & finish on a $329 guitar is better than a $2000 American made axe then you either need your head examined or you need to clue us all in an what you've been smoking cause I want some!


My head has been examined several times. Never got the results though, all the shrinks went insane because I was blubbering something about "Dog Poo Brown" Chinese made guitars.

I think it's these little brown chunks that came from Nepal and Afghanistan. Add a little Butane induced flame and everything you said becomes the truth.

Whistle The Chinese made guitar in my euphoric condition was $288 or something there about.
I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
AlbertG
#95 Posted : 2/8/2008 1:50:30 PM
AlbertG


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: United States
BillB1960

I'm not saying all Gibson's are crap. I own a 6-7 year old LP Classic and LP Special; 3 Amer Strats, and a Melancon Strat. They are all fine guitars. I simply like the choice of frets and neck on my AS73 better than my Gibsons. It is the same reason why I prefer Strats over LPs...a personal preference for the feel of the these necks/frets over my Gibsons. Everyone has their preferences.

I will however stand firm on the issue of the fit/finish/build quality on the particular AS73 I purchased in late '07, as compared to 2-3 Gibson 335's I tried during the same period. While my AS73 does indeed have some finish imperfections....so did the 335s...in fact the 335s I played had considerably more. However, cosmetics aren't important to me. Build quality, neck/fret feel and guitar tone are important...and on these issues alone, I simply did not see how the 335's I tested surpassed this particular AS73...and hence, could not justify a 335 purchase. Notwithstanding at 6x the price!!. Again, this is after comparison of 2-3 335s vs the particular AS73 that I found...all built around the same period of time. Maybe it was a good day at the Ibanez plant, and a bad day (Monday) at the Gibson plant...who knows...and this is why I have reservations mail-ordering ANY guitar.

I think Gibson is at a point that American auto manufactures were several years ago. I think they have the mentality that they're the best...and that we should all run out and buy their products, without question. Why are older Gibson's more sought after than newer versions of the same model?? Why after all these years can't they put a lousy belly cut (like a Strat) on the back-side mahogany 'slabs' of LPs!!??. LPs are damn uncomfortable to play...admitted by LP players...

Gibson is currently one of the largest mass producers of guitars. If any of the guitar manufactures had the bucks to do a little research to better their products it would be Gibson. Yet, their 'build' configurations haven't changed in years. The only minor changes over the years are a few new pups, and cosmetics..."available in either a '59 neck or a '60s slim-taper neck...in 'faded' or overly thick and heavy laquered-up finish". Again, I think Gibson's are fine guitars with a noteworthy history, but getting harder to justify at current prices/quality. Where are their revenues going?...not into research/improvements it seems. So, the way I look at it is...No significant improvements/changes in years + escalating prices = poor value...a simple formula for me. Yeah, yeah I know look at the prices older models bring on the market. I don't care about that...I care about the guitars features as a player.

Sorry, I'm not falling into the psychological trap of "it must be better because it costs so much more!!" Lower product cost does not necessarily mean it's "cheap". Perhaps Ibanez guitars cost less because they're made in China where workers are willing to work for less $/hour than other nations. This was the case with Japan several years ago. In recent years the Japanese people have demanded higher wages in-line with Western cultures...and that is probably the reason why Ibanez looked to China. I am sure the same thing will happen in China with time. And then manufacturers will look to workforces in yet another country where labor cost is less.

I admit to having limited experience with Ibanez guitars. The cost of the Gibson ES-339 lead me to look at the similar Ibanez AM73s. My AS73 experience lead me to this forum to learn more about Ibanez guitar/models from players with Ibanez experience. In my earlier posts, I asked forum members for info on well-stocked Ibanez dealers in my area so I can learn more.

Why not buy a good guitar at a lower cost?? Maybe you don't get that point because of what you're smokin'...!!! Might be time to hang up the bong Cheech...!!!

Regards
AlbertG

Guest
#96 Posted : 2/8/2008 2:15:39 PM
Groups:
Joined: 10/17/2007(UTC)
Posts: 39,204
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not falling into the psychological trap of "it must be better because it costs so much more!!" Lower product cost does not necessarily mean it's "cheap". Perhaps Ibanez guitars cost less because they're made in China where workers are willing to work for less $/hour than other nations. This was the case with Japan several years ago. In recent years the Japanese people have demanded higher wages in-line with Western cultures...and that is probably the reason why Ibanez looked to China. I am sure the same thing will happen in China with time. And then manufacturers will look to workforces in yet another country where labor cost is less.
Quote:


That's about it eh? Good summary right there.

Also, keep in mind that guitarists are an extremely conservative bunch of people-- shockingly so, and much more so than they would admit to.

Gibson et al know damn well that they are making the exact same guitar that they made 50 years ago because there is a huge number of guitarists who simply do not want to embrace any change or tehchnological improvements because it is CHANGE.

For instance, every guitar with a tremolo produced today should be able to operate in perfect tune. No excuses. Engineering has solved that tuning problem in multiple ways since the Stratocaster was made in 1954 (floyd rose, other double locking thingies, sternberger, speedloader etc etc etc). They still make $1000 Fender Strats with those crappy tremolo systems that drift out of tune. WHY? Well, one obvious solution is that nobody wants to mess with the traditional look of the strat. I am the first in line in thinking that the floyd rose equipped guitar = shred/metal/rawk guitar, but the creative resources used to overcome this 'problem' are never really put to use in a large scale because guitarists just want more of the same.
BillB1960
#97 Posted : 2/8/2008 9:21:17 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
I found this forum because I actually owned an AM-73. I bought it because it was very inexpensive, especially since I got it used on evil Bay. I played several AM and AS guitars throughout my local area and liked the feel and sound of the Artcore series. It is a very nice guitar and certainly lots of bang for the buck. Unfortunately I got a lemon and it literally fell apart after a few months of rather less than strenuous use, i.e. it never left the house. I spent more $$$ taking it to the luthier to have it repaired than I did to buy it.

So...while my experience with Artcores has been less than satisfactory I still don't deny they're good guitars for the money. Are they better than a comparably sized/equipped Gibson? Puh-leeze! Will an AS or AM ever hold it's value like a Gibson or USA Fender? Maybe in a parallel dimension!

I do not think Gibson is sitting back on their laurels, they're simply meeting market demand for their product which is certainly more than I can say for Ibanez and their BRILLIANT idea to offer a flat black as the only color on their small body semi hollow. Derouin's point about guitar players being resistant to change is well taken although it does beg the question, "Is the market driving the consumer or the consumer driving the market?"

For the record I don't intentionally inhale any type of burning substance. Maybe if I did I'd play better!
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
AlbertG
#102 Posted : 2/9/2008 11:56:13 AM
AlbertG


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: United States
BillB1960

I agree that Ibanez has dropped the ball with the flat black AM73...hopefully they'll keep the model alive and make further improvements...the ES339 is testimony to market appeal for this type of guitar. I hate to see good/unique guitars get discontinued (remember Gibson's BluesHawk??).

Tflanster
#98 Posted : 2/9/2008 12:35:18 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2007(UTC)
Posts: 408
Location: United States
Thanks: 1 times
And here lies the rub. Do any Ibanez offerings, regardless of "street price" hold value the same way Gibson, Taylor, Fender or (gasp) even some Epi's? I'm not talking about "store"prices specifically. Just prices between you and me. I recently wrote about an AW200CEVV with hard case that I bought from a guy for more than 75% less than he paid for it, and he paid about 15% less than the ridiculous "suggested retail" I saw the receipt. I've yet to see a Gibson, et al, selling for anything like the rapidly reduced prices for Ibanez (and similarly, Ovations). A prime example or two come to mind.

I owned an AES something or other that I had to sell for about half of what I paid for it just a few months earlier. I'm currently trying to sell my AF75, which is only about 3 - 4 months old. Price is very negotiable. No serious interest after 2 weeks of advertising. No doubt if it were one of those mentioned it would have been gone. Even an Epi Dot I had sold in a day.

Don't misunderstand . . . I still own a couple of Ibanez guitars, and I've owned at least three others. Why? Because they're inexpensive and I'm not much of a player :-( So If I stay in a price range with which I'm comfortable by buying and selling and trading, I can try different models without breaking my pitiful bank.

I'm certainly not knocking anyone here. It just seems strange to me that some members of this forum, several of whom have said they'd like to own a Gibson or other "major brand, say they intend to spend more money to make their Ibanez sound like a Gibson, Fender, etc. Looks to me as though rather than buying a half-dozen inexpensive guitars, the money could well have been spent on an $1700, 335, or 339, with enough left over to buy an AM/AF/AE, etc.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

TFlan


So...while my experience with Artcores has been less than satisfactory I still don't deny they're good guitars for the money. Are they better than a comparably sized/equipped Gibson? Puh-leeze! Will an AS or AM ever hold it's value like a Gibson or USA Fender? Maybe in a parallel dimension!


An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .
rraguse
#100 Posted : 2/9/2008 12:42:35 PM
rraguse


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/31/2007(UTC)
Posts: 471
Man
Location: Eastern Burbs of Kansas City
Thanks: 1 times
BillB1960 wrote:
Unfortunately I got a lemon and it literally fell apart after a few months of rather less than strenuous use, i.e. it never left the house. I spent more $$$ taking it to the luthier to have it repaired than I did to buy it.

If you would, please elaborate, what problems did you experience?

Did you buy your AM73 new?

I'm asking because I had problems with an Epiphone Dot Studio I bought (supposedly) new at Guitar Center. Dot Studio owners at the Epiphone Forum have nothing but praise for a $200. guitar. I had nothing but intonation problems with it. With Rusty's guidance, I replaced the POS OEM bridge with a Gotoh Standard Posts bridge, did a little tweaking, and transformed a guitar destined for a "Pete Townsend finaly" to a screamin' hotrod...but it is still a long way from my AM73.

BillB1960 wrote:
For the record I don't intentionally inhale any type of burning substance. Maybe if I did I'd play better!

And for the record, neither do I. I was just having a little fun!
I'm a three AM'er with an AS93 and Rock my Blues with "LapiStone"
Hikey Mikey
#99 Posted : 2/9/2008 1:40:09 PM
Hikey Mikey


Groups: Member
Joined: 7/17/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,220
Location: United States
Tflanster wrote:
And here lies the rub. Do any Ibanez offerings, regardless of "street price" hold value the same way Gibson, Taylor, Fender or (gasp) even some Epi's?


A few come to mind. JEMs, JS and PGM series, late-seventies to mid-eighties Artists and semi-hollows. Rare or well-built Ibanez guitars hold their own in the marketplace.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune.

--Walt Whitman, "Song of the Open Road"
AlbertG
#103 Posted : 2/9/2008 5:40:51 PM
AlbertG


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/25/2007(UTC)
Posts: 121
Man
Location: United States
You know someday when I'm too old to play guitar, it would be nice if my guitars would have transformed over the years into "collectables" and I sell them for enough money to ride off happily into the sunset...with a young supermodel (the latter part just a joke of course...)

I buy guitars for how they sound and play. Yes, it would be nice if they hold their value well, or appreciate during my ownership, but that is not my primary or secondary expectation with a guitar purchase.

I bought a rather nice and very expensive engagement ring a couple years ago. The relationship didn't work out. I got a great price when I bought the ring...I shopped it really hard...I do my research...and I'm brutal with salespeople. It's in perfect condition ("as new")...not a scratch or mark...no "pick rash" or "fret wear" for that matter...and yet, try selling the ring for anything close to what I paid for it?...no way....!!!

The point is if you're looking for investments that appreciate...they're hard to find these days (except land of course)...guitars (and jewelry grade diamonds) usually aren't good investment strategies

Now if you inherit a mint 50's Strat or LP from a recently deceased, long-lost uncle who who played it once and then stored it in a closet...my condolences for your uncle... and I'll give you $1,000 bucks for that old thang...a good deal at 10x it's purchase price!!!
Tflanster
#107 Posted : 2/9/2008 6:00:45 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2007(UTC)
Posts: 408
Location: United States
Thanks: 1 times
You are absolutely correct. I'm not trying to "diss" anyone. I'm perhaps a little perturbed that I haven't been able to dump my excellent AF75, which is only a few months old. I have no particular reason other than I have one more guitar than I want at the moment. It's entirely likely that I'll buy another one shortly after I sell the AF. I'm also a dedicated golfer. You want to see some equipment that cost a bundle and now is worth about a dime on the dollar? Come see me ;-(

One of my cousins who lives on the east coast has a Gibson 335(?) that he bought many years ago at a hock shop in Massachusetts. He paid, he told me, $200 for it. He played it for about a year, shoved it in a case and stowed it in his closet. That was about a half-century ago. He still has it. I offered him double his money - hah! He's leaving it to one of his kids rather than some $$ that he was going to give him. So sure, that guitar has appreciated in price many fold. I very much doubt any of my Artcores or Artwoods would do the same.

TFlan

The point is if you're looking for investments that appreciate...they're hard to find these days (except land of course)...guitars (and jewelry grade diamonds) usually aren't good investment strategies

Now if you inherit a mint 50's Strat or LP from a recently deceased, long-lost uncle who who played it once and then stored it in a closet...my condolences for your uncle... and I'll give you $1,000 bucks for that old thang...a good deal at 10x it's purchase price!!![/quote]
An aged British writer walks into a bar . . .
BillB1960
#101 Posted : 2/9/2008 8:29:56 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
rraguse wrote:
BillB1960 wrote:
Unfortunately I got a lemon and it literally fell apart after a few months of rather less than strenuous use, i.e. it never left the house. I spent more $$$ taking it to the luthier to have it repaired than I did to buy it.

If you would, please elaborate, what problems did you experience?

Did you buy your AM73 new?

I'm asking because I had problems with an Epiphone Dot Studio I bought (supposedly) new at Guitar Center. Dot Studio owners at the Epiphone Forum have nothing but praise for a $200. guitar. I had nothing but intonation problems with it. With Rusty's guidance, I replaced the POS OEM bridge with a Gotoh Standard Posts bridge, did a little tweaking, and transformed a guitar destined for a "Pete Townsend finaly" to a screamin' hotrod...but it is still a long way from my AM73.


As I've documented in earlier posts including pictures, first the neck tone quit working. A trip to the luthier revealed a bad ground at the input jack. Then the entire bridge attempted to separate itself from the lower bout. I fixed that myself with some wood glue. A couple of months later the neck tone control quit working again. At that point I gave up and gave the guitar away.

I bought it used on eBay. It appeared to be in good condition when I bought it and played very well after being set up. I liked the tone from the pickups through my tube amps and the neck was very comfortable. However, I never trusted it after the bridge pulled out of the body and when the tone control quit working again I just wasn't in the mood to screw with it anymore.
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
BillB1960
#104 Posted : 2/9/2008 8:36:47 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
AlbertG wrote:
You know someday when I'm too old to play guitar, it would be nice if my guitars would have transformed over the years into "collectables" and I sell them for enough money to ride off happily into the sunset...with a young supermodel (the latter part just a joke of course...)

I buy guitars for how they sound and play. Yes, it would be nice if they hold their value well, or appreciate during my ownership, but that is not my primary or secondary expectation with a guitar purchase.

I bought a rather nice and very expensive engagement ring a couple years ago. The relationship didn't work out. I got a great price when I bought the ring...I shopped it really hard...I do my research...and I'm brutal with salespeople. It's in perfect condition ("as new")...not a scratch or mark...no "pick rash" or "fret wear" for that matter...and yet, try selling the ring for anything close to what I paid for it?...no way....!!!

The point is if you're looking for investments that appreciate...they're hard to find these days (except land of course)...guitars (and jewelry grade diamonds) usually aren't good investment strategies.


I never said that I was using my guitars as investment vehicles but guitars get fairly regularly bought & sold especially on the internet and it would be nice to have a guitar at least maintain most of it's value.

I agree with you on buying guitars for the way they play & feel and I have yet to find an inexpensive foreign guitar that can come close to matching the feel & playability of a good American piece.
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
BillB1960
#108 Posted: : 2/10/2008 1:31:42 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 7/26/2007(UTC)
Posts: 93
Location: PacNW
There seems to be plenty of evidence to support the claims of Japanese made guitars equaling and in some cases surpassing the quality of American guitars in the late 70s & early 80s. That time period was rather bleak for American manufacturing in general, not just for guitars. American manufacturers were believing their own press and figured that the people would accept whatever shoddy goods they pumped out and like it. Obviously they were wrong and have since mended their ways.

Never having played any of the guitars you've mentioned I've limited my commentary to guitars of more recent manufacture, i.e. the last 10-15 years.
Fender American Strat
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique x2
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Antique Goldtop
Ibanez AR250 w/SD Phat Cat Pickups
Epiphone DR500M Masterbilt
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages«<3456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.