Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
F spacing?
scabaway
#1 Posted : 1/30/2009 2:44:14 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 11/2/2008(UTC)
Posts: 29
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Are Rg's F spaced or not?
Cheesebuiscut
#2 Posted : 1/30/2009 2:45:23 PM
Cheesebuiscut


Groups: Member
Joined: 12/4/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,006
Location: place
Anything with a tremolo
hikaruzero
#3 Posted : 1/30/2009 3:38:08 PM
hikaruzero


Groups: Member
Joined: 5/7/2007(UTC)
Posts: 3,667
Location: United States
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Technically RGs are spaced somewhere in between F-spaced and standard spaced.

I was told to get F-spaced pickups by Ibanez because they are a closer match than standard-spaced. I haven't had any problems with the F-spaced pickups. Some people say, that the bridge should be F-spaced and the neck should be standard-spaced, to me that would look a little weird.

Also, the spacing is the same for Ibanez RGs regardless of whether it has a tremolo or not. F-spaced doesn't mean "Floyd" it means "Fender", as opposed to standard-spaced which matches Gibson's string spacing.
Ouija
#5 Posted : 1/30/2009 6:32:51 PM
Ouija


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/27/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,439
Man
Location: United Kingdom
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Easier to just measure than ask a question on a forum and wait for a reply. Measure the outer E strings above the pickup your thinking of changing. If it's 51/52mm..... F-Spaced. If it's 48/49mm... Standard spaced. If 50mm... then either will do.
scabaway
#6 Posted : 1/31/2009 9:33:22 AM

Groups: Member
Joined: 11/2/2008(UTC)
Posts: 29
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Thanks for all of your answers.
To Ouija, This is an Ibanez Guitar forum, isn't it? Nothing wrong with asking someone who already knows the answer to my question.
Leaf
#4 Posted : 1/31/2009 11:18:25 AM
Leaf


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/22/2008(UTC)
Posts: 333
hikaruzero wrote:
Technically RGs are spaced somewhere in between F-spaced and standard spaced.

I was told to get F-spaced pickups by Ibanez because they are a closer match than standard-spaced. I haven't had any problems with the F-spaced pickups. Some people say, that the bridge should be F-spaced and the neck should be standard-spaced, to me that would look a little weird.

Also, the spacing is the same for Ibanez RGs regardless of whether it has a tremolo or not. F-spaced doesn't mean "Floyd" it means "Fender", as opposed to standard-spaced which matches Gibson's string spacing.


Only the bridge is f spaced because at the neck pickup the strings are closer togther.

Also, you may hear the term "tembucker" this is another way to say f spaced because I believe dimarzio has rights to the term f spaced.
evilaudio
#7 Posted : 1/31/2009 4:21:44 PM
evilaudio


Groups: Member
Joined: 5/28/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,282
Location: Kansas
scabaway wrote:

To Ouija, This is an Ibanez Guitar forum, isn't it? Nothing wrong with asking someone who already knows the answer to my question.

Don't be a wise-ass.
'81 DT50FR Destroyer..............Crate GX2200H Excalibur
'86 BC Rich Bich Six Tremolo....Crate GX412 cabs x2
'00 RG270BK..............................Celestions top cab
'05 GAX70BK.............................Eminences bottom cab
'06 ESP/LTD H-50EB - EMGzor!!
RG/Iceman hybrid [Hexman]
RG2610/RG350DX [Bride of Hexman]
I have 4 extra Eminence 12's I don't know what to do with. Any suggestions?

hikaruzero
#9 Posted : 1/31/2009 5:08:36 PM
hikaruzero


Groups: Member
Joined: 5/7/2007(UTC)
Posts: 3,667
Location: United States
Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Quote:
Only the bridge is f spaced because at the neck pickup the strings are closer togther.


I disagree. According to Ibanez's tech support e-mail I got, both pickups should be F-spaced.

Ouija also noted that 51mm and up should be F-spaced, 50mm could be either, and 49mm and down should be standard-spaced. On my RG, my bridge pickup has 53mm between the strings, and my neck pickup has 51mm between the strings, which confirms what Ibanez indicated.

Besides, putting one F-spaced and one standard-spaced would look weird lol :)
scabaway
#8 Posted : 1/31/2009 5:28:49 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 11/2/2008(UTC)
Posts: 29
Location: Clarksville Indiana
evilaudio wrote:
scabaway wrote:

To Ouija, This is an Ibanez Guitar forum, isn't it? Nothing wrong with asking someone who already knows the answer to my question.

Don't be a wise-ass.


Who pulled your chain guy?
Cheesebuiscut
#11 Posted : 1/31/2009 5:31:49 PM
Cheesebuiscut


Groups: Member
Joined: 12/4/2008(UTC)
Posts: 1,006
Location: place
I dont really type in blue, i type in purple your screen is just off color.
AarJay
#12 Posted : 1/31/2009 5:50:41 PM
AarJay


Groups: Member
Joined: 7/18/2008(UTC)
Posts: 955
Man
Location: Sweden, Vasteras
now now boys, don't fight :)
'08 Ibanez RG2570Z | Vital Gold | stock DiMarzio/IBZ pups
'05 Ibanez RG321MH | Weathered Black | stock INF3/4 pups
'03 Ibanez RG1527 | Galaxy Black | Dual EMG 707
'03 Ibanez RG1550M | Black | Stock V7 / S1 / V8
'98 Ibanez RG570 | Red stain on veneer | DiMarzio Breed Neck & Bridge, Strat Single
'96 Ibanez S540FM | Trans Turquoise | Neck: SD TB-2, Mid: Stock QMS1, Bridge: SD TB-15
'95 Ibanez SR885 | 5-string Bass | Black |
Leaf
#10 Posted : 1/31/2009 6:15:56 PM
Leaf


Groups: Member
Joined: 10/22/2008(UTC)
Posts: 333
hikaruzero wrote:
Quote:
Only the bridge is f spaced because at the neck pickup the strings are closer togther.


I disagree. According to Ibanez's tech support e-mail I got, both pickups should be F-spaced.

Ouija also noted that 51mm and up should be F-spaced, 50mm could be either, and 49mm and down should be standard-spaced. On my RG, my bridge pickup has 53mm between the strings, and my neck pickup has 51mm between the strings, which confirms what Ibanez indicated.

Besides, putting one F-spaced and one standard-spaced would look weird lol :)

Well Ibanez is weird. As you saw, the strings were pulled closer together so on a let's say, Jackson with a trem, the Bridge would be like 52 mm so then the neck would be 49 mm.

Also, it won't really look odd at all. It's a what, 2 mm difference? Unless your staring at your guitar from less than a foot away, it won't look weird at all.
Also, some companies don't offer certain pickups in F space, so that's why a lot of people get the neck in Standard spacing.
Ouija
#13 Posted : 1/31/2009 6:22:55 PM
Ouija


Groups: Member
Joined: 8/27/2006(UTC)
Posts: 6,439
Man
Location: United Kingdom
Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Also. Don't assume that F-spaced refers to a specific size. A F-spaced Evo bridge pickup is 51mm but a F-spaced bridge ToneZone is 52mm. F-Spaced neck Evo is also 51mm (no different than the bridge), as is the F-spaced Air Norton. Dimarzio typically make a F-Spaced neck pickup 1mm narrower than they're bridge pickups, to allow for the narrowing of the strings.

And, yes, it is easier to just measure than post. In the time it take for the computer to simply boot up, you could measure the spacing, rather than logging on, posting, waiting hours or days for a response. Unless your not aware what the F-spacing distances refer to, then posting the question makes sense. Just seems some people want to do things the longest most convoluted way possible (we've had one or two guys, who after explaining the spacings, still just wanted us to tell them if it was F-spaced or not, because they couldn't be bothered to walk across the room and do the measurement).
scabaway
#14 Posted : 1/31/2009 6:38:13 PM

Groups: Member
Joined: 11/2/2008(UTC)
Posts: 29
Location: Clarksville Indiana
Thanks man.
Guitar God
#15 Posted : 1/31/2009 8:53:31 PM
Guitar God


Groups: Member
Joined: 12/14/2008(UTC)
Posts: 257
Man
Location: Tennessee
Thanks: 1 times
I sorta got the same question. What exactly is F-Spaced? This is dumb, but does "F" stand for Floyd style trems? Noticed only DiMarzio have F-Spacing. Before u guys start givin' me hell about it, I'm only 16. Sucks that I'vebeen playin' guitar for 8 years and don't know what f-spacing is.Doh
metalmike550
#16 Posted : 1/31/2009 9:13:33 PM
metalmike550


Groups: Member
Joined: 2/27/2007(UTC)
Posts: 2,784
Man
Location: southern indiana
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
f spacing means "fender spacing". when guitar the manufacturers fender and Gibson started putting out humbuckers the fender bridges are a tad wider than Gibson. therefore f-spacing= fender spacing. i think dimarzio has a patent on the term f-spacing because Seymour Duncan has "trembuckers" for f-spaced guitars. don't feel bad i was oblivious to a lot of the things i know now just 3 years ago.
My gear.....


A guitar or two

An amp

Some chords

Some pedals
CloneJem7v
#20 Posted : 1/31/2009 11:23:10 PM
CloneJem7v


Groups: Member
Joined: 7/17/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,307
Location: United Kingdom
Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
i do not mean to be rude but... has google gone offline?
many guitars including serveral Ibanez models
I also do this Cobalt Raptor Web Design
Guitar God
#17 Posted : 2/1/2009 2:20:42 PM
Guitar God


Groups: Member
Joined: 12/14/2008(UTC)
Posts: 257
Man
Location: Tennessee
Thanks: 1 times
metalmike550 wrote:
f spacing means "fender spacing". when guitar the manufacturers fender and Gibson started putting out humbuckers the fender bridges are a tad wider than Gibson. therefore f-spacing= fender spacing. i think dimarzio has a patent on the term f-spacing because Seymour Duncan has "trembuckers" for f-spaced guitars. don't feel bad i was oblivious to a lot of the things i know now just 3 years ago.

Thanx, bro. Are EMG's F-Spaced or not? I gonna put DiMarzios for my RG350EX, eventually and decided on pickups and do they have to be f-spaced if u have a trem?
evilaudio
#19 Posted : 2/1/2009 3:40:51 PM
evilaudio


Groups: Member
Joined: 5/28/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,282
Location: Kansas
Guitar God wrote:

Thanx, bro. Are EMG's F-Spaced or not?

There aren't any poles on an EMG. Eh (?!?!) So uh, are you joking or are you really that dim?Think
CloneJem7v wrote:
i do not mean to be rude but... has google gone offline?

+ MF'n 1


'81 DT50FR Destroyer..............Crate GX2200H Excalibur
'86 BC Rich Bich Six Tremolo....Crate GX412 cabs x2
'00 RG270BK..............................Celestions top cab
'05 GAX70BK.............................Eminences bottom cab
'06 ESP/LTD H-50EB - EMGzor!!
RG/Iceman hybrid [Hexman]
RG2610/RG350DX [Bride of Hexman]
I have 4 extra Eminence 12's I don't know what to do with. Any suggestions?

CloneJem7v
#18 Posted : 2/1/2009 4:30:31 PM
CloneJem7v


Groups: Member
Joined: 7/17/2007(UTC)
Posts: 1,307
Location: United Kingdom
Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Guitar God wrote:
metalmike550 wrote:
f spacing means "fender spacing". when guitar the manufacturers fender and Gibson started putting out humbuckers the fender bridges are a tad wider than Gibson. therefore f-spacing= fender spacing. i think dimarzio has a patent on the term f-spacing because Seymour Duncan has "trembuckers" for f-spaced guitars. don't feel bad i was oblivious to a lot of the things i know now just 3 years ago.

Thanx, bro. Are EMG's F-Spaced or not? I gonna put DiMarzios for my RG350EX, eventually and decided on pickups and do they have to be f-spaced if u have a trem?


EMGs work in anything because they use blades thus eliminating the poles that can be incorrectly placed
many guitars including serveral Ibanez models
I also do this Cobalt Raptor Web Design
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.