Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ICB300 Neck Diving Issue
MarcFar
#1 Posted : 11/30/2010 7:52:22 AM
MarcFar

Groups: Member
Man
Hello everyone!

I recently became the proud owner of a ICB300EX 2009 model. It's my second Ibanez bass but it is the first time I have neck diving issues. I understand the body shape + long neck doesn't help but is there a way to balance this other than using a broad (leather) strap? Is there anything/suggestion to solve this in a more permanent way?

Many thanks for your feedback.
Marco
dANomite64
#2 Posted : 11/30/2010 7:40:27 PM
dANomite64

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've seen people on Talkbass come up with contraptions to help with the neck dive on ASAT basses and Thunderbirds; I'm sure something like that would work on an Iceman. I'm a lefty, so if I ever buy one, I'm thinking I won't have that problem, as I'd be playing it upside-down.
'94 ATK300L
'07 SR300DXL
MarcFar
#3 Posted : 11/30/2010 9:35:39 PM
MarcFar

Man
Hi there, thanks for the feedback!
I have checked TalkBass after reading your post and I believe if I change the strap buttons position like this, I might reduce part of the problem. What do you think?
Ouija
#4 Posted : 11/30/2010 9:49:30 PM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Might also want to try some fishing weights wrapped in an insulating tape and placed in your control cavity. Just adds more weight to the back end of the instrument.
MarcFar
#5 Posted : 12/1/2010 6:36:19 AM
MarcFar

Man
Hi! That also sounds like a good idea :) There is a lot of space available inside the control cavity. Sorry for asking but what type of insulating tape are you referring too? Thank you.
Ouija
#6 Posted : 12/1/2010 7:06:52 PM
Ouija

Man
Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I just use regular white masking tape, but any kind of tape will do. It's just to stop any of the electronics shorting out (i sometimes use copper coins instead of lead weights, which tend to be more conductive to electricity). The coins are easier to get hold of, but the lead is better for weight. Depends on how bad the balance really is (use lead for really bad, use the stacked coins for mildly unbalanced). Just make sure that nothing you wedge in there causes any of the wires to cross connect.

On a side note, all that lead or copper around the electronics tends to add extra shielding to the electronics, lowering background noise a little.

MarcFar
#7 Posted : 12/2/2010 5:32:04 AM
MarcFar

Man
Thanks a lot for your detailed and valuable info. I will try it and let you know the outcome!
Warm regards, Marco