Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Only 60 AF 105 - SM - NT - 12 - 01?
the prof
#1 Posted : 4/3/2008 6:16:43 PM

Groups: Member
I just purchased an Artcore to replace the PM 100 that drowned during Hurricane Katrina. I was actually going to the music store to order another PM when my dealer suggested I give the AF105 a spin. Because, at least to me, the AF played just as well and was better suited to my tastes (and was exceptionally well built with a beautiful grain and finish), I bought it instead of ordering the PM. Even though the finish is NT, it is significantly different from other Natural finishes in the Artcore line. I was also told that as a custom model, only 60 were made. What I'm trying to find out is whether indeed only 60 were produced and what type of wood was used for the neck and body. I assume this can only be answered by an Ibanez rep, so if anyone in the know is reading this a response would be much appreciated. It still amazes me how Ibanez continues to make such excellent jazz guitars at such a reasonable price while Gibson continues to manufacture overpriced, poorly finished junk. I am proud to tell anyone that even though I've continued to give Gibson the benefit of the doubt, I've traded in every one I've ever owned (when I can unstick my thumb from the neck that is). Ibanez makes a far superior guitar at less than half the price. They play better, sound better and generally are made better than the majority of other guitars out there - hands down.
macfly
#2 Posted : 4/3/2008 7:20:57 PM
macfly

It is frustrating that it is so hard to find out info on these. i have a 105sm abr which is
spalted maple with an antique brown stain and would love to find out how few of
these are around. have you written Ibanez directly to find out?
Takamine EAN10C, Takamine LTD 2007, Fender Strat '62 Reissue (Sunburst), Les Paul Supreme (Dessert Burst), Ibanez AS103NT
Ibanez AF105 SM ABR, Ibanez AF105 BM, Steinberger GM7TA, Eastman T186mx (Sunburst); Yamaha SA2000s
the prof
#3 Posted : 4/4/2008 5:18:36 PM

The store where I bought it is owned by a friend of 20 yrs. The "limited to 60" was on the sales tag. He also specifically showed me the guitar because I have been replacing guitars over the last couple of years and wanted ones that were not only excellent in re craftsmanship and playability, but would also increase in value. He handed it to me as soon as I walked in and told me that I should seriously consider playing it before I finalized the order for the Pat Metheny model. It still boggles my mind that Ibanez can hold prices down while surpassing other companies' alleged high end stuff. I was also going to purchase a Howard Roberts Fusion but after playing the AF 105 for only a day I've decided to pass. The AF 105 is truly a great guitar. I still want to find out more about the SM - NT finish. I've only seen it listed on a Japanese site but I can't read the language. Thanks for the feedback.
macfly
#4 Posted : 4/5/2008 4:59:10 AM
macfly

i first became aware of the spalted maple through seeing one in an online forum. if you just google spalted maple you will find out a bunch about the wood and what makes it unique. i love how the black 'line drawing' stands out. i originally was trying to find an as103sm but there were none to be found. so eventually i settled with the 105sm abr when i was looking for that body shape. post some pics if you can. im sure its a looker and i dont recall seeing a 105 in an unstained spalted.
Takamine EAN10C, Takamine LTD 2007, Fender Strat '62 Reissue (Sunburst), Les Paul Supreme (Dessert Burst), Ibanez AS103NT
Ibanez AF105 SM ABR, Ibanez AF105 BM, Steinberger GM7TA, Eastman T186mx (Sunburst); Yamaha SA2000s
macfly
#5 Posted : 4/5/2008 5:06:56 AM
macfly

well I'll be....
just noticed one on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBAN...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

maybe you can find out more about it through that seller.
the prof
#6 Posted : 4/5/2008 2:14:41 PM

thanks. just checked the ebay link. will do a spalted maple search. prof
Brian
#7 Posted : 4/6/2008 6:53:41 AM
Brian

The AS103NT flamed maple are not a limited edition. The spalted and burl version are.
Brian

the prof
#8 Posted : 4/7/2008 1:38:18 PM

Thanks to all of you for helping to solve the mystery of the AF 105 SM-NT. If anyone has suggestions for contacting an Ibanez rep to find out more about this edition of 105's please reply. Once again, my thanks to all that responded. This forum is much more positive than info exchanges - everyone with a Gibson seems to have a complaint (usually about the sticky, gummy finishes). Most of the Ibanez forum participants seem to have no problems and gush about the quality of the Ibanez lines. These sure are excellent guitars. It's a shame so many players prefer to go with Gibson for the name. They're missing out on opportunities to get a high quality guitar at less than half the price. prof
macfly
#9 Posted : 4/7/2008 2:18:34 PM
macfly

very true on the gibsons. i bought one early one and while i do like it, i feel gibson is overpriced by about a third.
the quality is definitely hit or miss. can be very good or show stupid errors that should not be there on $3000 guitars.
i like the ibanez but do have to say that i dont love the thick plastic finish as much as nitro.
the eastman t186mx i just got is absolutely incredible. really. compared to a gibson 335 this cost less than half as much and outshines the
gibber completely. rather than laminated wood this uses solid, hand carved maple and ebony fret boards. the varnish /nitro is incredible.
didnt mean to hijack the thread..just wanted to echo the idea that brand name isnt always what its cracked up to be.
check out the eastman on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9W8OdSpsho
Spooter
#10 Posted : 1/5/2012 12:33:07 PM

Hello Friends !
History of the Burl Maple & Spalted Maple Artcore's:

These Limited Edition guitars were built by the Ibanez Japanese

"Master Builders" sent to train employee's at the Ibanez

China Based Custom Shop.

"These" guitars are Hand Made .

ONLY 240 total guitars were built by these Master Craftsmen.

Only 60 Spalted Maple Jazz Boxes

Only 60 Spalted Maple DC's

Only 60 Burl Maple Jazz Boxes

& Only 60 Burl Maple DC's

Also, these guitars where presented [4] at the NAMM show. ALL where
snatched up [ all 240 ] in less than 1 day !
They are VERY RARE & highly sought after !

Thanks.