Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

guitar pup on bass?
kkdwiz57
#1 Posted : 10/23/2012 12:43:02 AM

Groups: Member
Hey everyone I need some suggestions.
My son wanted to build a bass project and with him being in wood shop I thought now was the time.
We are doing a hofner style solid body bass with a Fender P-Bass neck. I got a wrap around bridge and P-bass pups but the spacing is wrong. I heard that you can use rail pups and not worry about any spacing issues.

Question: Can I use a humbucker rail pup from a 6 string guitar or will I have rotten sound?
Are there any other suggestion you can give.
I'm all ears......thanks
BillyC@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 10/23/2012 12:52:50 PM
BillyC@Ibanez

Groups: Administration, Moderator
Man
Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kkdwiz57 Go to Quoted Post
Hey everyone I need some suggestions.
My son wanted to build a bass project and with him being in wood shop I thought now was the time.
We are doing a hofner style solid body bass with a Fender P-Bass neck. I got a wrap around bridge and P-bass pups but the spacing is wrong. I heard that you can use rail pups and not worry about any spacing issues.

Question: Can I use a humbucker rail pup from a 6 string guitar or will I have rotten sound?
Are there any other suggestion you can give.
I'm all ears......thanks

How wrong is the spacing? The strings don't actually have to be directly over the poles.

I've personally never tried a guitar rail Pickup in a bass, but I really don't think it's going to be what you're looking for.
kkdwiz57
#3 Posted : 10/23/2012 10:33:33 PM

Groups: Member
The P-bass pickups have 4 poles for 2 strings and the strings are 3/4 of the way to the right on one pair of poles and 3/4 of the way to the left on the other two poles and this repeats on the other pickup also. I thought of slanting them but did not like the looks of it.