Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GSRM25 Mikro
Guy L
#1 Posted : 12/26/2012 5:27:31 PM

Groups: Member
Does anyone know if this 5 string 28.6" short scale bass is going to be available in the UK/Europe and if so any idea when?

I would want to tune it E-A-D-G-B rather than B-E-A-D-G. I'm not too worried if that tuning means adjusting the action or even cutting a new nut as I have a friend who is a very good luthier.

I have a GSRM20 Mikro tuned E-A-D-G and use a D'Addario ECB81S short scale chrome flatwound string set 045,065,080,100 and would be happy with these on the 5 string model also (if I can obtain one). But D'Addario doesn't make a short scale chrome flatwound high C, only a long scale which would have to be cut in the main wound part of the string to fit. Alternatively one could use one of D'Addario's Guitar Chrome Flatwounds which would easily fit the Mikro lengthwise. Would have to calculate best gauge to match tension for high B - maybe around 035.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which would be the better approach for the top string?

Apologies if the idea of a top B horrifies people but I have spent around 50 years trying to play guitar and it's far too late to change now!

GregDunn
#2 Posted : 1/4/2013 2:23:03 AM
GregDunn

I just bought one of these, so let me bump the thread. :)

I agree that D'Addario Chromes are awesome for the Mikro series; that's what I use on my 4-string. I'd also be interested in knowing what the forum guys think about a flatwound equivalent for the low B - I'd change my strings out in a heartbeat if I could get a 5-string set equivalent to the ECB81S.

I know people have talked about shortening a long or medium scale string (by removing and then replacing the ball end) but I don't think that would work well on a flatwound due to the differences in construction.
Guy L
#3 Posted : 1/4/2013 11:52:42 AM

Coincidently we are both looking for a D'Addario Chrome Flatwound B string but at different ends of the pitch range!

I tried emailing the UK distributors for Ibanez but no reply so far. Of course it has been the holiday period. I've found in the past that sometimes they reply with a very helpful email, but other times you don't get a reply at all! They seem to do a very thorough job of checking every instrument before it goes out to a UK dealer which is good. But they don't even supply everything that is in the Ibanez Europe Catalogue. For example the GSRM20 is available in Europe in Candy Appple Red and Black, but the UK distributor only kept the Red version when I was looking for one. I would have preferred the Black but actually the Red is very nice too.

A friend in the US very kindly offered to get a GSRM25 and ship it to me. But when I looked at the costs, it turned out that a guitar which would reach him in NYC for 199 USD inclusive of shipping would likely cost me a UKP total of the equivalent of around 500 USD with USPS Shipping to UK, Insurance, and UK Customs Duty & Taxes added. And of course not the comfort factor of checking it out first in a local store which gives you a 4 year warranty on everything they sell.

GregDunn
#4 Posted : 1/5/2013 6:40:45 AM
GregDunn

That sucks. :( I have talked to a guy at http://www.bassstringsonline.com/ who says he can get custom flats for the Mikro but they are Labella, not D'Addario. I think I'm going to buy a set from him anyway and see how they are - the price he quoted was not bad. You might want to contact him if you end up getting the bass; his reviews on the bass forums are quite positive.
Guy L
#5 Posted : 1/5/2013 11:19:33 AM

Thanks for that. Can get Labella strings fairly easily in the UK & D'Addario actually have a UK company. I see that the Labella Black Nylon Tape Wound short scale series has a single high C available separately to the 4 string set. But not in the plain flatwound series.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the Labellas if you do get them. I've used D'Addario Chromes for many years on jazz guitars. Tried Thomastik once but went straight back to D'Addario so I guess I'm comfortable with them.
GregDunn
#6 Posted : 1/6/2013 3:14:28 AM
GregDunn

I've never tried Labellas at all, so it will be an experience! I can't imagine they'll be bad, though; I've heard many positive things about them.
Guy L
#7 Posted : 1/8/2013 11:42:33 AM

I'm convinced that some of the emails I send never get to their destination. My ISP by default applies a SPAM strategy such that perfectly valid messages sent to me from sources I have already successfully received many messages from are suddenly apparently randomly marked as SPAM and hidden from email clients such as Outlook although still present in the mailbox on the ISP's server. I only found this out by chance when a very important email at the end of a sequence went missing and spoiled a weekend. There is a solution which is to log in to the ISP's website and change their default SPAM settings so that you receive ALL messages (and then you - or the software on your PC - decide what is really SPAM) but if you don't know that you need to do this then of course you won't - it's not advertised. I wonder if this sort of thing may be a widespread problem.

I emailed the Ibanez UK distributor Headstock a second time yesterday and received a reply in less than 24 hours saying that they would know more after the upcoming NAMM 2013 show and will update me on the GSRM25 then. Which makes me think that far from ignoring my first message, it simply didn't get as far as their Inbox.

I also emailed Thomann in Germany who were equally quick to respond saying that the GSRM25 will be available as a special edition in the middle of the year - price unknown.

So I live patiently in hope!