Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

IBANEZ G5ECE G STRING INTONATION
gitartolga
#1 Posted : 11/20/2013 11:18:37 PM

Groups: Member
Why g string is alwys sharp?I used dadario strings ej45,exp 45,ej 45composite,labella but always sharp all freets after 12. fret more sharp.Ivorex 2 saddle on it.I have also yamaha classical guitar but no problem with g string intonation is always good.Why g5ece is problem i tryed other g5ece my friends ones and they were sharp too.All set ups ok but still problem??
RIX
#2 Posted : 11/21/2013 12:22:38 AM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 53 post(s)
It sounds like all the strings are okay except the "G" string. The "G" string is the only one that is sharp; is that correct?

What are you using to determine that the "G" string is sharp? Is it the built in tuner or your ear?

I wouldn't use any built in tuner on any guitar to determine intonation, because those tuners are just not sensitive enough to accurately determine intonation. You need a more accurate tuner to truly determine intonation something with an accuracy of 0.1 Cent or within 1/1000th of one semitone (1/10th of one cent) over the entire range.

I don't have your model of Ibanez guitar, but I do have the AEG10 Nylon string guitar and it is just fine; that is there is no problems with intonation.

It is possible that you may need to replace the saddle with a compensate saddle and recheck nut and the setup. It is also possible to have a bad batch strings. Have you tried a different make of strings like maybe Augustine's?

In conclusion try a different tuner to check intonation. A different make of strings. And a new good battery in the guitar.

Lets us know what you find.

Originally Posted by: gitartolga Go to Quoted Post
Why g string is alwys sharp?I used dadario strings ej45,exp 45,ej 45composite,labella but always sharp all freets after 12. fret more sharp.Ivorex 2 saddle on it.I have also yamaha classical guitar but no problem with g string intonation is always good.Why g5ece is problem i tryed other g5ece my friends ones and they were sharp too.All set ups ok but still problem??
RIX
avianoguitarist
#3 Posted : 11/21/2013 12:44:28 AM
avianoguitarist

Man
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Yep--Follow the advice Rix just gave you.
It's about the best possible solution.

Also--you don't need to create multiple threads on the same topic--we'll see the first one, bud.
Some of us are around daily, and Rix is basically my acoustic evil twin...lol.
Just another Ibanez freak!
RIX
#4 Posted : 11/21/2013 1:34:33 AM
RIX

Man
Thanks, I always wanted to be someone's evil twin.

Originally Posted by: avianoguitarist Go to Quoted Post
Yep--Follow the advice Rix just gave you.
It's about the best possible solution.

Also--you don't need to create multiple threads on the same topic--we'll see the first one, bud.
Some of us are around daily, and Rix is basically my acoustic evil twin...lol.

RIX
gitartolga
#5 Posted : 11/21/2013 1:54:14 AM

All strings not ok but better than g string useing tuner korg-ca40 model and guitar and tuner battery full both new battery.Ivorex2 nut and saddle on this guitar i think g string should be place more back than other strings on saddle for better intonation.My yamaha classical guitar G string is place more back than others strings on saddle and no problem about intonation no sharp.Maybe i need to change nut and saddle?I saw new aeg10n2 guitars nut and saddle not ivorex 2 like aeg10ne.I didnt like ivorex nut and saddle new aeg10n2 models better i think.
RIX
#6 Posted : 11/21/2013 5:22:35 AM
RIX

Man
It sounds like you got the right idea, but I would start with the saddle to see if it does fix the intonation issue and then move on to the nut. Traditionally a classical guitar's saddle placement does require as much of an slant as a steel guitar due to the thickness of the strings, but that doesn't mean you won't run into a classical guitar that needs a compensated saddle.

Like you I have a Yamaha classical guitar model G300 that I bought back in 1980 in Japan. Anyway that guitar has served me well and does have a compensated saddle made of bone. The only reason I done play it much is because I like the narrower neck of the Ibanez AEG10 Nylon guitar.

Good luck and lets us know your final out come.

All strings not ok but better than g string useing tuner korg-ca40 model and guitar and tuner battery full both new battery.Ivorex2 nut and saddle on this guitar i think g string should be place more back than other strings on saddle for better intonation.My yamaha classical guitar G string is place more back than others strings on saddle and no problem about intonation no sharp.Maybe i need to change nut and saddle?I saw new aeg10n2 guitars nut and saddle not ivorex 2 like aeg10ne.I didnt like ivorex nut and saddle new aeg10n2 models better i think.

RIX
gitartolga
#7 Posted : 11/22/2013 2:50:15 PM

I saw your post about ibanez GM500CE in specs says comes from factory with saverez strings on it maybe i must try saverez with my guitar g5ece for better intonation?GM500CE comes with hard tension saverez or normal tension?my neck gap is 0.3mm now normal tension strings works better with this gap?
If i do neck gap 0.20mm hard tension saverez is ok?
I change trussrod adjustment but from factory neck set up was 0.20mm and 3mm bass side 2.5 mm trble side on 14.freet?
RIX
#8 Posted : 11/23/2013 1:40:13 AM
RIX

Man
I found that Augustine Red Strings sound best on my AEG10 Nylon string guitar and the D'Addario normal tension sound a bit dull or not as bright. Now the same D'Addario normal tension strings sound just fine on my Yamaha, but that is probably due to the solid top. I'm thinking of trying D'Addario hard tension strings on my Ibanez next time I change strings.

Will the savarez strings solve your intonation issue I don't know, but it is worth a try.

I saw your post about ibanez GM500CE in specs says comes from factory with saverez strings on it maybe i must try saverez with my guitar g5ece for better intonation?GM500CE comes with hard tension saverez or normal tension?my neck gap is 0.3mm now normal tension strings works better with this gap?
If i do neck gap 0.20mm hard tension saverez is ok?
I change trussrod adjustment but from factory neck set up was 0.20mm and 3mm bass side 2.5 mm trble side on 14.freet?

RIX
gitartolga
#9 Posted : 11/26/2013 10:30:16 PM

I used savarez 540 R better intonation daddario and sound is better now.2 days ago just for try exp 46 hard tension also ws good sound but g string was problem exp 46 hard tension but softer than other daddario hard tension ones.Saverez is better than dadario about intonation.Maybe ibanez should give with classical guitas for better intonation second G string compensated saddle for diffrent brand strings.I used both strings with 0.20mm neck gap.
RIX
#10 Posted : 11/27/2013 1:18:59 AM
RIX

Man
That is certainly good information to know, but I think the difference in strings has to do more with the gauge of the string than perhaps quality IMHO.

Savarez 540R Gauges: 24-27-33-29-35-42
D'Addario EXP46 Gauges - 29-33-37-29-36-46

If they were the same exact gauge of string, then I would say it was for certain the strings.

I used savarez 540 R better intonation daddario and sound is better now.2 days ago just for try exp 46 hard tension also ws good sound but g string was problem exp 46 hard tension but softer than other daddario hard tension ones.Saverez is better than dadario about intonation.Maybe ibanez should give with classical guitas for better intonation second G string compensated saddle for diffrent brand strings.I used both strings with 0.20mm neck gap.

RIX
#11 Posted : 12/18/2013 2:36:16 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.