Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

AGB205 Tuning Pegs
Guy L
#1 Posted : 4/30/2013 7:26:16 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I saw the threads on AFB200 and AGB200 Tuning Pegs and wondered if anyone can confirm if these are identical with each other and with the ones on the AGB205.

I've not had any problems with my AGB205 but I'm being very gentle with the tuning pegs and certainly would never use a string winder on them.

However it does seem that they are relatively fragile and really I think I would like to replace them with gold plated metal pegs.

I spoke to a friend who is a very good luthier and he said that the measurements vary subtly on tuners and while it would be an easy job (for him) to simply replace the entire tuners (possibly upgrading in the process), it would be expensive as they tend to come in sets of four so I'd need two sets. I'd need to know the exact manufacturer and model number of the tuners to have any chance of just sourcing metal pegs which would fit in place of the pearloid pegs.

There's nothing stamped on my tuners but the AFB200 thread said that Gotoh GB707G-2 were an excellent fit.

I also have an Ibanez Mikro bass and the tuners on that look very similar albeit chrome plated. So perhaps these are Gotoh GB707C-2.

If Ibanez are using the Gotoh GB707 tuners and it's possible to buy just the GB707G-2 tuning pegs that would be the best way forward.

Else more expensive would be to buy two sets of 4 complete tuners and just swap the pegs which would be non invasive to the AGB205.

Worst would be to have to replace the entire tuners on the instrument.

If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/30/2013 7:49:00 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 378 post(s)
The stock tuners are not Gotoh. Although, the style of tuner may be modeled the same as a Gotoh model. The difference in the AFB200 and AGB205 tuners is the extra tuner for the B string. The style is the same, it just comes in a set of 5 rather than 4. They are most like the GB7 style Gotoh tuners. Should be a 14/15mm hole size in the headstock for these tuners.

If you are having trouble finding a proper set of 5 tuners from a specific company, look for single tuners. That way you can get a set of 4 and then an extra one for the right side.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
Guy L
#3 Posted : 4/30/2013 10:55:05 PM

Many thanks for that Bill.

So the stock tuners are not Gotoh - are they made by Ibanez themselves?

If the AFB200 and AGB205 share the same tuners then I guess I could replace a broken pearloid peg with the Ibanez part no 5AMH51AG-BTN

But that's not a long term solution.

I think I'll keep the instrument stock for now and then after the warranty expires I'll get my luthier friend to change the complete machine heads.

Thanks again.
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 5/1/2013 1:07:15 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 378 post(s)
They are made overseas, but I'm not sure if it is specific to Ibanez.

The part(5AMH51AG-BTN) will be the correct replacement for the Tuner button and will work as the correct replacement.

-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
Guy L on 5/3/2013(UTC)
Guy L
#5 Posted : 5/1/2013 1:39:43 PM

Thank you - that's good to know. I might order a spare or two in case I ever have an accident.
Guy L
#6 Posted : 12/10/2013 11:40:06 PM

Originally Posted by: Guy L Go to Quoted Post
Thank you - that's good to know. I might order a spare or two in case I ever have an accident.

FWIW I replaced the stock tuners with Gotoh GB707 G2s. They were a perfect drop in fit - absolutely no drilling or filling required - well a tiny bit of removal of excess material from one hole but very minor indeed.

The one word of caution I would have to anyone else is that I had replaced the strings with D'Addario Long Scale Chrome Flatwounds tuned E,A,D,G,B(C) - CB110,CB085,CB065,CB045,CB032.

If you were sticking to the original low B tuning you might get a horizontal overlap between the top two strings between the nut and the tuning posts due to the fatter strings and larger diameter of the GB707 tuning posts (not the shafts which were a perfect fit) compared with the stock tuners. Even so you should be able to easily get a vertical separation but it's worth mentioning. With my lighter strings there was no horizontal overlap.

The above is just my personal experience which worked for me and I hope it may be useful but as ever YMMD!