Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

No serial number but a weird "S". What does it all mean?!?!?!?!
Cardiholic
#1 Posted : 3/14/2014 1:31:40 PM

Groups: Member
Hi, I'm thinking about buying this Iceman Bass but it does not have a serial number. It does have this weird little "S" on it. Does anyone know what this means? I've included a link to my dropbox with a picture but you may have to zoom in to see the "S". It's toward the bottom of the headstock. https://www.dropbox.com/...t8x7scyjy/WP_000346.jpg Thanks
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/14/2014 2:03:27 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
That 'S' signifies a factory 2nd. This guitar was likely shipped from the factory with a cosmetic defect, or got damaged somehow before leaving the warehouse.

When these guitars are sold, they do not carry a manufacturer's warranty, but really ANY used guitar wouldn't be elidgible for warranty service anyhow.

I can't say what a previous owner may or may not have done with this guitar, but when it was originally sold, it probably had a small cosmetic flaw that could not be fixed. They would have still been set up and tested for playability.

I would treat this as any other used guitar. Buyer beware. If you can, make sure you inspect it and test it out to make sure it plays well.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
Cardiholic
#3 Posted : 3/14/2014 10:37:49 PM

Groups: Member
Thanks very much Bill. I appreciate you taking the time to answer so thoroughly. :)