Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GSRM20 Neck woes - twist? Hump?
PsychotropicDog
#1 Posted : 6/12/2014 11:27:26 PM

Groups: Member
Well, it is still an irritant. I would guess part of the problem is the truss rod - oh it works, it's just that is was probably meant for a guitar, and thus not the length of the neck. The result is buzzes. Oh sure, I 'can' get the neck perfectly straight, which is of course not ideal. So, here's [img]http://1drv.ms/1mODl1V[/img] and another: [img]http://1drv.ms/1mODhzi[/img]. In theory those links will show the pics.
So No matter what I do I have to deal with some buzzing on the E string, unless I totally flatten the neck and raise the action a silly amount.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 6/13/2014 1:33:29 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 409 post(s)
I had to copy those image URLs and paste them into my browser to see them, but I got to see them.

From the pictures it looks like the neck has some sort of hump towards the higher frets. The truss rod will change the shape of the neck as a whole, but it won't fix just that small section. Also, I don't know what the other side of the neck looks like. If the bass side of the neck is straight and the treble side has a curve, then the neck may also be twisted. Again, I don't know for sure without seeing the other side of the neck.

I would look into what kind of options you have to have this looked at under warranty. If there is no option to get it taken care of under warranty, the next best option is to have the frets leveled.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
PsychotropicDog
#3 Posted : 6/13/2014 4:51:34 PM

Groups: Member
I do have a shot of the other side, but it is much the same though less severe, hence my assumption that the truss rod is not long enough. Not sure about the warranty, it has not been a year yet, perhaps I will talk to the dealer, but I have my doubts about how what I perceive as a design flaw is going to be fixed. And I am less than thrilled about having to play with a long scale bass while it is away. Then there is the entry level consideration, though I may be borrowing trouble, I fear a 'well what did you expect' sort of reply - I get it, but I am also limited to options considering the scale of the bass I want. Well I suppose it shouldn't hurt (too much) to ask.