Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

SZ320 Wiring Help - 1 volume, 1 tone, killswitch
me9atr0n
#1 Posted : 3/21/2014 10:03:01 PM

Groups: Member
I recently got an SZ320 real cheap from a friend, and I'm upgrading the pickups to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Set (SH-4 JB (Bridge), SH-2N Jazz (Neck)). While I'm at it, I plan to change the wiring from 2 volumes and 1 tone, into 1 volume, 1 tone, and a killswitch (24mm Sanwa arcade button like Buckethead). I've never installed pickups before, but I am competent enough at soldering, I can do this without any problems. However, I'm having trouble understanding the wiring, switching from the 2 volumes into 1 is confusing me the most. I want to keep the 3 way switching as it is, with the middle position splitting the two pickups.

So I've been studying diagrams, and I think I'm starting to understand what I have to do. If someone could just help me verify, I believe I need to follow this diagram http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/d...111_reversepolarityB.pdf. However, those colors are Dimarzio colors which are different from Seymour Duncan. Basically, I need to swap the reds for blacks? Would this keep the two inner coils active in the middle position? Also, this diagram is reversing the polarity of the Bridge pickup, which I've read that I need to do in order to keep the pickups out of phase and hum cancelling. Does this seem correct?

Adding the killswitch to this scenario, the button I'm using is a standard normally open arcade button. Do I just wire one terminal to ground, and the other to the middle terminal of the volume pot? I found this diagram http://cdn.instructables.com/FC...6ZZ0XF8JUW8E8.MEDIUM.jpg. Would that work like I want it to? Like I said, I think I've basically figured this out, I'd just like it if an expert could chime in here and point out anything I might be doing wrong. My only real fear is drilling out a 24mm hole for an arcade button, its like guitar mutilation, no turning back, but I think its gonna be awesome!
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/25/2014 7:26:19 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 409 post(s)
I'm not what I would consider an expert in wiring, but I can chime in with a few suggestions to help point you in the right direction. Firstly, you can find the wire colors here:
http://www.seymourduncan...p?schematic=color_codes

This will give you the best representation of what the different colors are.

Second, the wiring diagram you have doesn't use the same switch as the SZ320. this diagram shows the difference between the one you show and the Ibanez toggle that is on your guitar:
http://www.neighborhost.com/images/Alco-4PDT.png

Basically, you'll want to move the neck(black&white) down one pole, and the bridge(red&green) up one pole to use that diagram.

The arcade button looks like it would work. Wired from that center pole to ground.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
me9atr0n
#3 Posted : 3/28/2014 7:15:29 AM

Thanks for the reassurance, Bill. That diagram of the Ibanez switch was helpful, since the pre-existing wiring didn't match up with the diagrams I had found. Luckily I was able to just look at how the switch was wired before, and figured out which terminals to use. I also had a problem with wire colors. Using the diagram I linked in my first post and switching the blacks and reds was mostly correct for my situation. But that ended up making the outside coil of the bridge pickup active in split mode. After some trial and error, I figured out to just switch the hot and ground wires, and that fixed it. Here's a pic of my wiring job, in case it helps anyone.

All said and done, the new pickups sound amazing, and the killswitch works great. I'm having fun trying to find ways to use it creatively. Its quite tricky to get the hang of, making me understand even more how godlike Buckethead actually is. Also, I used a transparent button, took a picture of the guitar's wood grain, and put it inside the button, giving it a nice wooden look that matches better. Overall very satisfied with this project. I now have a very unique, one of a kind, custom SZ320, and its now my favorite guitar.

avianoguitarist
#4 Posted : 3/28/2014 11:42:54 AM
avianoguitarist

Man
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 86 post(s)
Glad you got it sorted.
For future reference, just use this chart to determine which wires go where for different pickups:

The info for great wiring and mods is at guitarelectronics.com

This guitar wiring modification shows how to wire a normally open switch as a kill switch or output mute. Note: To do bucket head "Telegraph" style muting, use a normally open momentary switch. This will allow the audio to be muted when the switch is pressed down but automatic comes back on when the switch is released.
Now--let's hear some clips of that monster!!!
Just another Ibanez freak!
darla
#5 Posted : 9/19/2014 4:21:26 AM

excellent, thank you.