Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

GA5TCE-AM preamp issue
onefinenerd
#1 Posted : 3/2/2015 3:58:59 PM

Groups: Member
I'm at my wits end. I have a GA5TCE that I purchased at GC (12/19/13) as a Christmas present for my daughter. Love the guitar and it's been perfect for a 9 year old to begin with. Haven't had much of an opportunity to plug it in, but was getting ready for her recital in mid January and much to my surprise, I could not get anything out of it. New battery - nothing. Different cable - nothing. Different amp - nothing. I go to the website and send in a warranty question, seeing that technically, the unit is outside the warranty period (just barely). NEVER got a response. Take it in to GC to see if they could determine anything or even see what Ibanez's position on it would be. Transducer worked. Sounds like a dead preamp. They reach out to Ibanez a couple of times and get NO response. They did determine that the preamp was available to purchase ($150, on a guitar that was only $250 a little over a year ago) and that since the electronics were bad, it's probably only worth about $100 if I wanted to get rid of it. Figured I try the website one final time last week and still NO response. Pulled everything out last night to see if there was anything amiss. Nothing. Getting 9V at the terminals and the board. Caps haven't popped. Continuity checks on the jack. While I'm obviously miffed about the guitar, but I'm more concerned with the complete lack of any response from the company, either to the consumer or even a vendor. Not really sure what to do at this point, but I'd rather cut bait if and call it day if this is typical.

P.S. Because there was no response, my daughter had to play MY guitar in her recital. Not cool.

Wall
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/2/2015 8:10:00 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
Sorry to hear about your trouble!

From the amount of work you've done to diagnose the issue, it does seem like something in the preamp itself. The manufacturer's warranty that Hoshino USA offers on the electronics is 1 year from the date of purchase. Seeing that you may have been trying to get this resolved fairly close to the end of your one year warranty, I'd like to look into you problem and see if there is any assistance we can offer. I'll be sending you an email for more information.

-Bill