Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help with SZ320 serial #
Jax Katz
#1 Posted : 8/9/2015 7:23:32 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hey, i need help with this guitar serial #. the # is - KR061100269 -. that is not a mistake and it is clearly marked "Korea". it is a sz320, not a sz320ex, as far as i know. as i remember reading, the 320 was in two generations between 2003/2004 and 2005/2006, and was relpaced in 2007 with the sz320ex. my 320 is much heavier than my other sz's and a little bit thicker, i think. the neck seems diff and it has the thin line body binding. the orginal P/Us have been changed. what do i have ? i can't find any of that info again.
Tracy Dae
#2 Posted : 8/9/2015 1:53:11 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 90 post(s)
The guitar in the picture above is a 2006 SZ320EX.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Jax Katz
#3 Posted : 8/10/2015 1:01:26 AM

hey tracy, i don't doubt you but i need to know how you know that ? everything i have read says the sz320ex was introduced in 2007. i agree that my serial # looks as if it is 2006, but it is not formatted the same and what does KR stand for ? also the word "Ibanez" on the headstock seems to be gold and the binding is a really thin cream or gold double parallel line, one on the face of the guitar and one just over the edge. it is pencil thin and does not reproduce correctly in my photos. it is not white. i read something about the binding that would help clear this up but i can't find the article now. also the serial # explained would help. it is not the same as my other sz's but appears to be made at a diff plant. the 320ex's that i have seen the serial #'s are made at the world plant and start with "W". help ? this is part of a collection and i would like to know, with certainty , which guitar it is and what year.
Tracy Dae
#4 Posted : 8/10/2015 1:55:05 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
The binding tells you it is an EX. Since Ibanez generally starts production for any given year in the previous October or November (they did back then anyways), the manufacture date tells you it was likely a release for summer NAMM 2006. Ibanez does that sometimes. They start with a small scale release for summer NAMM to test the waters then a do a full release for the following year if it does well. As for the "K", K would indicate that it was produced at the KWO facility. Keep in mind that an initial release may not be produced in the facility you expect, especially if it is a small production run.
1 user thanked Tracy Dae for this useful post.
Jax Katz on 8/10/2015(UTC)
Jax Katz
#5 Posted : 8/10/2015 3:26:25 AM

tracy. ok i'm with you on the binding and since you said that was the key i looked at a white 320ex and it has the exact same binding. thanks for clearing that up. on the serial # ... KR061100269 made in korea. i would interpret it this way, KR (not K ) = unknown , 06 = 2006, 11 = november, 00269 = build. does this make sense ? if so then all i need to know is what KR = ? . it is definitely made in korea. i kinda dig it being a 320ex. that makes it a little different than the others besides the mods. i have others with maple tops. the neck is different than the others also. i think it is thinner and the frets feel different. i have five different sz models and they all have a different tone, weight, and feel. i heard somebody call them prs killers. they are definitely gibson killers for me at their price. any talk of bringing them back ?
Tracy Dae
#6 Posted : 8/10/2015 11:34:01 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: Jax Katz Go to Quoted Post
on the serial # ... KR061100269 made in korea. i would interpret it this way, KR (not K ) = unknown , 06 = 2006, 11 = november, 00269 = build. does this make sense ?

Yes, that's what I got. The Ibanez folks may be the only people who know what the KR is.

I really liked the SZ's too. I have a first generation SZ320 and I would be very sad if something happened to it. Though not my main player, I'm a classic Artist kind of gal, I do love my SZ320 very much. I don't know if Ibanez will bring them back or not. They seemed to be strong sellers to me so I don't understand why they were put to bed and replaced so soon. Personally, I would have loved to have a heartbeat SZ520.

Jax Katz
#7 Posted : 8/11/2015 6:28:51 AM

that is a cool guitar. i am finding out that there are all sorts of special edition models out there. i need to find a sz1220 first. i play a 520 most of the time. it is a 2003 and is really light (the 320ex is super heavy). i put SD's in it and it sounds great ! thanks again for the info.
#8 Posted : 12/9/2015 7:14:27 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.