Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

It's that time of the year...
njbassguy
#1 Posted : 12/4/2015 2:00:31 AM

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Okay. So the holidays are here. The holidays include good times with family and friends. But what about our best friends; aka guitars? The dry weather is our best friends' worst enemy: aka dry air which can ruin them. I have seen guitar humidifiers. But if the owner of several accoustic guitars like I have; rather than spend a small fortune on guitar humidifiers, why not invest in a whole room humidifier for a fraction of the cost. Merely pick one up for under thirty bucks at a place like Walmart, open the gig bags, & let the humidifier do its job. I am using a vaporizer right now, but I'm going to walk the walk & talk the talk tomorrow.
1 user thanked njbassguy for this useful post.
Bill@Ibanez on 12/4/2015(UTC)
Tucher
#2 Posted : 12/15/2015 7:43:19 AM

Man
You do also need to worry about over humidifying. Wood swells when it gets wet just like it shrinks when it gets to dry. The best thing is regular care and use. If you have a Rosewood or other un-finished fret board, a little oil goes a long way. THere are lots of different suggestions about what oil to use, I have used pure teak oil, just find an oil without a bunch of crap in it. Another thing you can do it pick up a few of these. D'addario Two Way Humidification.
momotaro
#3 Posted : 1/8/2016 6:49:31 PM
momotaro

Man
ive been playing since 1982. never in my whole life have i ever

seen a dried out electric guitar.

seen a picture of a dried out guitar

heard anyone say "my guitar IS dried out" or "i saw my buddies guitar it was dried out" unless it was followed by "it was on the garage roof for 3 months"

what does the manufacturer do when they buy the wood? they dry it out. Think
Kannan-ni atte hajimete shinyƫ-wo shiru
Tracy Dae
#4 Posted : 1/9/2016 1:43:46 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
To be fair, the finger board on an electric guitar can dry out just as it would on an acoustic guitar. I have seen electric guitars with the fingerboard dried out. In person, in pictures and I've heard folks talk about it.

You do need to condition your fingerboard from time to time. You can usually see when it needs conditioning.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.