Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help with V390
dogol
#1 Posted : 5/2/2016 2:54:42 AM

Groups: Member
I've got an Ibanez acoustic guitar bought in 2011 as birthday present. I'm not a big fans of Ibanez but this baby really got my eyes stuck on it from the first time I saw it. Gorgeous looking with beautiful sound guitar. I'm the third owner of this beauty. I bought it from a guy who is a piano tuner who doesn't even play guitar. He bought it from the first owner, a lady who wanted to learn how to play guitar but then decided not to continue as she felt she was just not really good at it, as an investment, but he then had to sell it as he needed some cash. I was so lucky, not only because I only paid just half of the asking price, but also because the guitar was (and still is) in pristine condition. No scratch whatsoever! It looked like I bought it brand new from the store!

I'm curious about the year of production and I've been looking for any information on the internet but I haven't got any luck so far. The model is V390 and the serial number is 82081309H. The guy that I bought the guitar from thinks that it was made in 1979 but looking at the first two digits of the serial number I guess it was made in 1982 (or probably 1981?). But that's all I can gather.

I found a site which is www.ibanezwiki.com and a link in the website that shed a little bit of information, http://s93105080.onlineh.../catalog/1983-4/09.jpg, but looks like that's the colsest I can get.

Can someone help me further with this please?
RIX
#2 Posted : 5/2/2016 4:30:28 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello dogol, and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on a great find; that is a really nice looking dreadnought guitar. And indeed from the serial number your guitar was built August 1982 and was the 1309th guitar of that model. Looks like my pc did not like your link, but here is the link to the Ibanez Catalog Archive page where you can see what woods were used in your guitar.

Ibanez Catalog Archive

Unfortunately there isn't anything more about guitar in the Ibanez site, but you can try the Ibanez Collectors Page and see if someone there has more to offer. Here is the link:

Ibanez Collectors World

Hope that helps,
RIX
1 user thanked RIX for this useful post.
dogol on 5/2/2016(UTC)
dogol
#3 Posted : 5/2/2016 5:09:04 PM

Originally Posted by: RIX Go to Quoted Post
Hello dogol, and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on a great find; that is a really nice looking dreadnought guitar. And indeed from the serial number your guitar was built August 1982 and was the 1309th guitar of that model. Looks like my pc did not like your link, but here is the link to the Ibanez Catalog Archive page where you can see what woods were used in your guitar.

Ibanez Catalog Archive

Unfortunately there isn't anything more about guitar in the Ibanez site, but you can try the Ibanez Collectors Page and see if someone there has more to offer. Here is the link:

Ibanez Collectors World

Hope that helps,

Thanks a lot, Rix. It does help. Much appreciated!
DeeJayK
#4 Posted : 5/3/2016 8:02:02 PM

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
According to Jim Donahue, who worked in R&D for Ibanez and co-wrote the book, Ibanez: the untold story, (http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=5751&post=24000#POST24000) [registration required to view the link], the V300 series guitars were made for Ibanez by Cato.

Here's the relevant snippet of his post if you don't want to register at ICW: The older acoustics were made by a Japanese company Called Kato they made the V300 series and a few other ones. They use the year then month like 8204 (April 1982)
1 user thanked DeeJayK for this useful post.
dogol on 5/4/2016(UTC)
dogol
#5 Posted : 5/4/2016 12:48:54 AM

Originally Posted by: DeeJayK Go to Quoted Post
According to Jim Donahue, who worked in R&D for Ibanez and co-wrote the book, Ibanez: the untold story, (http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=5751&post=24000#POST24000) [registration required to view the link], the V300 series guitars were made for Ibanez by Cato.

Here's the relevant snippet of his post if you don't want to register at ICW: The older acoustics were made by a Japanese company Called Kato they made the V300 series and a few other ones. They use the year then month like 8204 (April 1982)

Thanks, DeeJayK! 👍🏻