Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

J-540 ST... Anybody Know This Model?
Superliquid23
#1 Posted : 6/7/2016 10:19:57 AM

Groups: Member
I just was able you buy a very nice and in marvelous condition J-540 ST but cannot find any information about it. It was supposed to have been built in 1980. It has a spruce top, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, but I am not sure if the sides are laminated are not. I have yet to replace the 5 year old strings and it doesn't sound as big as its jumbo dimensions. I bought it to use as an instrument dedicated to alternate tunings. Anybody have any experience or knowledge of this model. Thanks for your time![img=http://www.anibis.ch/fr/musique-instruments-guitares-~-accessoires-folk--2352/ibanez-jumbo-j-540-nt--15343333.aspx]J-540 ST Front[/img],
peterdryan
#2 Posted : 6/7/2016 10:46:23 AM
peterdryan

Man
Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Would you verify the URL?

I can't load the image.
RIX
#3 Posted : 6/7/2016 4:05:41 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hello Superliguid23, and welcome to the forum.

I don't any experience with this model. I have an AEL50SCE, which is the closest guitar I have to a jumbo type guitar. It does have a solid top and sounds great

In the link below I found your guitar; or so I think in the the 1978 Ibanez catalogs.

1978 Ibanez Acoustic Guitar Catalog

Most likely the top, back, and sides are all laminate. If you could provide the serial number we can verify the build date.

Hope that helps,
RIX
Superliquid23
#4 Posted : 6/16/2016 4:45:34 AM

Hello RIX. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for the link to the catalogue. I have seen this, but it is virtually the only thing that I have been able to find out about it besides one video on YouTube that portrays the big sound of the guitar although that one is buzzing badly up and down the neck and needs to be set up. After changing the strings to a 12 gauge set from the super light and aged set that was on it when I auditioned it, the guitar no longer sounds small and demure, but rather now has a huge and incredibly loud character when picked heavily, though when handled with a soft touch has a delightful full, round tone with a sparkle that I guess only a maple sided and spruce topper construction can conjure together. In fact she is so loud that the great volume she throws actually hurts my right ear if I really rip through and give it some gusto. She is set up perfectly. The quality of the build is exceptional inside and out. The only thing I can fault the guitar on is the fact that I need buy new pins as the originals seem a wee small and I had a problem with them slipping out when changing the strings out, probably because of shrinkage over the last 36 years. I need to bring it to my tech to give the once over about it, but I couldn't be happier for the $600 I paid for it. Really, it is in flawless condition, rock solid, plays like a dream and is sure oh so pretty with that curly maple back, sides and neck, that I am one happy camper. I still need to buy a case to keep her safe to close the lid on a great deal that I was so very lucky to stumble across. I am early on in learning the mysteries of her ways, so that every time I pick her up to play her I learn a little more of how to help her sing to her fullest capacity.

@peterdryan, try this link as it is working for me...
http://www.anibis.ch/fr/...j-540-nt--15343333.aspx

PS There is no serial number that I have seen. It is not on the label. Where might I find it?
RIX
#5 Posted : 6/16/2016 7:22:25 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Hi SuperLiquid23,

Sounds like you got yourself a great guitar. As for the serial number you may have to use a inspection mirror and flash light and look in side the guitar for a stamped number. Might be on the neck block just inside the sound hole.

You can also try the Ibanez Collectors World page to see if you can get more info on your guitar; here is the link:

Ibanez Collectors World Page
RIX
Superliquid23
#6 Posted : 6/17/2016 10:48:11 AM

Thanks for the info, RIX. I don't understand why this link doesn't connect to where it is pointing to. It is only from this site that it is wacky. Copy and pasting should work, however.
Superliquid23
#7 Posted : 6/17/2016 10:48:12 AM

Thanks for the info, RIX. I don't understand why this link doesn't connect to where it is pointing to. It is only from this site that it is wacky. Copy and pasting should work, however.