Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

My new Ibanez project
DennisMcLeroy
#1 Posted : 9/5/2016 10:46:23 AM
DennisMcLeroy

Groups: Member
I wanted to get into Surf guitar and love my Artcore AS73. I saw that the guitar Center had a used Gio for $50, they don't like Ibanez and don't know much. I bought it and checked intonation and the nut needed work, being plastic it cut too fast and needed to be replaced. What a difference, the neck now plays like a guitar should. For the first time I feel like I should replace the bridge pickup, these are cheap and no pole adjustment. I also want to split the coils to get more of that Fender sound (thin and higher pitched) And no, I am not going to put a $150 pickup in a $50 guitar. Guitar Fetish has a four wire humbucker that will work and it and the switch will be less then $30.
Now I need to know how heavy of strings has anybody went? I use 11s on my AS73, but may even want to go to 12s on this one. Again, this is for that surf sound.

P.S. I don't know why people care where something is made, Ibanez sells it, fit and finish is good, with a good setup it's a very good guitar.
renton481
#2 Posted : 10/30/2016 9:40:16 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a Gio GRX40 and it works fine with 11-50's. Although I tune to D standard.

I had to file the bottom saddle a hair shorter to make the 50 intonate in D. I have the action a hair high, though.
#3 Posted : 3/15/2017 1:29:31 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.