Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Acoustic Guitar Through an Electric Guitar Amp?
RIX
#1 Posted : 9/3/2016 12:07:37 AM
RIX

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 53 post(s)
I thought I'd post this as I found the subject interesting and besides the guy is using an Ibanez guitar for his demos.

Acoustic Guitar Through an Electric Guitar Amp
RIX
RIX
#2 Posted : 9/13/2016 7:38:50 PM
RIX

Man
Some follow up to this post. From watching the video it sounds like the issue is an amp’s speakers rather than an amp itself. I thought I’d test this theory and hook up a stereo speaker to 3 different practice amps. My test speaker is a Sony SS-MB115 100watt 8ohm 2way speaker and my guitar an Ibanez EW20ASE. The amps being used were as follows:

Ibanez Acoustic Amp ACA15
Epiphone Studio Acoustic 15C
Ibanez Guitar Amp IBZ10G

The amps as they are sound just okay, but not outstanding. Keep in mind that these are small practice amps meant for playing in a bedroom; not really amps you would use for gigging.

I hooked up the speaker to the first amp by passing the amp’s internal 8ohm speaker and connecting directly to the speaker cabinet. The amp sounded much better, but the bottom end was a bit weak. I played with the controls on both the amp and the guitar, but the bass was still seemed weak to my ears. I tried the other amps with pretty much the same results; weak bass.

The limitations of the Sony SS-MB115, which is a seal speaker cabinet which just can’t produce enough bottom end. I decided to drill a 2” diameter port into the face of the speaker cabinet, which should increase the bass output. That did the trick; the hole did increased bass output. Now drilling a hole into this speaker cabinet was not a big deal for me, since the test speaker came from a thrift store, which I bought for 20 dollars for a set of two, so please don’t do this unless you’re sure of what you are doing.

Final results: over all the dynamic range of each amp tested was increased when connected to the Sony speaker cabinet. Each amp tested was able to reproduce the acoustic guitar’s sound much better than the amp’s original single speaker. IMHO the Epiphone amp probably had the best sound of all.

Speaker Details:
100watt max power
8ohm impedance
2-way - 60 - 20000 Hz
1 x mid/woofer driver - 6.25"
1 x tweeter driver - 3/4"
Dimensions 14.6”x 8.7”x 9.4”
Weight Details 8.8 lbs

Well, I hope this is helpful information.
RIX
RIX
#3 Posted : 10/16/2016 10:13:26 PM
RIX

Man
Additional follow up.

I decided to try one more experiment with one of the amps, so I installed a Soundstream AF.653 Arachnid Series 6.5” 3-Way 100 Watts RMS 4 ohm Speaker into the Ibanez ACA15 Acoustic Amp. The result were very satisfying; just as good as when I had connected this amp to the Sony speaker cabinet.

The amp comes with a 6.5” speaker, so it was very easy to swap it out and in fact the existing speaker mounting holes lined up perfectly with the Soundstream speaker. I did have to rework connectors since the original connectors to the Ibanez speaker did not match the Soundstream speaker. The other nice features to this Ibanez amp is that it is a closed back and that the speaker baffle has two ports, so no modifications were needed to produce enough bottom end.

The new speaker is a 4 ohms and the original is an 8 ohms, but I don’t think it will be an issue, since this is a solid state amp.

Finally I think I will keep the new speaker in this amp, since this makes for a clean and easy mod and no need for an additional speaker cabinet.
RIX
renton481
#4 Posted : 11/4/2016 5:05:23 PM

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's been my experience that nearly any practice amp with an external speaker jack sounds much better through a speaker box, especially a closed back speaker box.

There is a point where the final transistors / tubes of the practice amp will sound muddy, though -- especially if you're trying to run a 20 watt amp into a 100 or 200 watt capable box. But up to that point of muddiness, you'll get a good, clear, loud sound. I have a 15 watt Fender that I run through a box all the time. Works and sounds great.

I've run my 12 string acoustic through the same amp and speaker box combination. The 12 string has a single coil pickup across the soundhole. For recording purposes, it works very well. Haven't tried it live, not sure I would. There would obviously be some tendency for feedback.

But with recording, it adds an extra jangle to the sound when mixed with the guitar miked.