Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help Identifying Ibanez GIO Model
sethier
#1 Posted : 11/11/2016 3:01:28 AM

Groups: Member
Hello everyone,

Just an FYI: I am very very new to playing guitar.
I inherited an Ibanez GIO guitar, and I am unable to locate any model numbers anywhere on it. What I am intimately trying to figure out the exact function of the three knobs and toggle switch. Also, one of the knobs stopped working, so a spec for a replacement would b great. These are things you usually find in an owners manual, so If I at least have the model number, I could do a search for it on Google.
I've posted pictures, please help! Pray

Thanks!
Steph

imagen
Eroot64
#2 Posted : 11/11/2016 5:23:55 AM
Eroot64

Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm not sure about the model, but in general the toggle is pick up selection usually front only, back only, both (for three position, 5 position is a variation of the same. Probably the knobs are volume for each pickup and the third is tone(could be bass and treble and one volume, but unlikely) Regarding the bad pot, often this is just a short(happens a lot when the pot turns in its home and breaks a wire or shorts to the shielding. it could also be a bad cap. If it need replacing just bring the pot to the shop and match it up. The main differences are split post or solid post, post length and you will see the rating printed on the pot, they are either 250 or 500 k , probably 500 because of the humbuckers. I'm surprised you can find the numbers they are usually on the back side of the head, they may have been sanded off.
Bill@Ibanez
#3 Posted : 11/11/2016 4:00:58 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Unfortunately, the Model numbers are sometimes not on the back of the headstock. To make things more difficult, the serial numbers on some models were stickers that can easily fall off!

This is the GSZ120 model from the mid-late 2000s:
http://www.ibanez.com/an...p?cat_id=275&now=15

The 3 knobs should be(top to bottom): Neck Pickup Volume, Bridge Pickup Volume, Master Tone

Hope this helps,
-Bill
Eroot64
#4 Posted : 11/11/2016 6:01:11 PM
Eroot64

Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Bill Thanks for giving this guy a much more informed answer, when I'm new to a forum I try to participate with the best info I have, as often as I can out of gratitude for the help I received when I joined. This may not be of value to this poster but for my own information, will there be any other places numbers can be found(under the neck etc.)Note to the OP, I'm not suggesting you remove the neck looking for numbers its not necessary to have the numbers to solve your bad pot issues.
Bill@Ibanez
#5 Posted : 11/11/2016 8:04:21 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
No problem,

Taking the neck off to look at the heel spot on the body and neck sometimes reveal model numbers, but it isn't 100% accurate. sometimes they may not have a marking, or they'll show a marking for a different model(assuming they use the same neck). For example, if the RG550 and RG570 use the same neck, you might find an RG550 with a neck printed as RG570 and vice versa.

That being said, it may help in some extreme cases of uncertainty! My usual recommendation for identifying models is:
  1. Look on the back of the headstock, or inside the sound hole for the model number.
  2. If neither of those places show a model #, check for the serial number in the same place. This should narrow down to the year it was built.
  3. Check the Ibanez Catalog archive for that specific year and browse until you find the matching models compared to the specs.
  4. Lastly, if there are no model or serial numbers on the instrument, I recommend posting the pictures here to have someone try and identify it base purely on visuals.

In this specific case, I recognized the body shape and knew it was one of the GSZ models. Also, from prior knowledge, I knew that these were around in the mid 2000s. After checking the 2006 catalog in the archives, I found that specific model to confirm exactly what it was.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
jeffy
#6 Posted : 11/12/2016 2:55:16 PM
jeffy

have the same issue, cant find the model,,gio serial is A06022779.....