Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Please help! Floyd Rose wont stay in tune
Dawoustik
#1 Posted : 6/20/2016 5:07:55 AM

Groups: Member
Hi

I just bought this 1993 Ibanez S570.
I've tried tuning it a few times, but it wont stay in tune.
This is the first time I'm using a floating bridge and I might be doing it wrong.
Here is how I did it. Can someone check if i'm doing it right?

1. Loosened the tuning locks and screwed the fine tuners to mid position
2. Kept tuning until all strings stayed in tune (Made sure the bridge is on level)
3. Tightened the locks.
4. Did the fine tuning.

But when I play it for a while the strings go out of tune.
Then I use the fine tuners, but after sometime I reach the end of fine tuner screw capacity.

Please help!

What am I doing wrong?

Dawoustik attached the following image(s):
Dawoustik attached the following image(s): FB_IMG_1466398559684.jpg
Dawoustik attached the following image(s): FB_IMG_1466398566870 (1).jpg
Dawoustik attached the following image(s): FB_IMG_1466398581149.jpg
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 6/20/2016 12:52:45 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 419 time(s) in 409 post(s)
I usually recommend following this guide when learning about floating tremolos:
http://forum.ibanez.com/...LOATING-TREM-GUIDE.aspx

If this is your first time using a floating trem, it is tough to say if you are doing it correctly. Floating trems can be a bit finicky and I'm not sure whether there is something that might be causing this issue, or it is just due to an unbalanced tremolo.

Other than checking out that floating trem guide, I'd also try to retune the gutiar while the nut is unlocked. This time, after you've gotten it in tune, use the whammy a little. If it goes way out of tune, then it probably needs to be leveled(either by tightening the strings, or springs). If it generally stays in tune, then you should be good to lock it down.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
PinkFloydRose53
#3 Posted : 11/19/2016 4:43:24 PM

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dawoustik Go to Quoted Post
Hi

This is the first time I'm using a floating bridge and I might be doing it wrong.

2. Kept tuning until all strings stayed in tune (Made sure the bridge is on level)
3. Tightened the locks.
4. Did the fine tuning.

Then I use the fine tuners, but after sometime I reach the end of fine tuner screw capacity.

Please help!

What am I doing wrong?

When tuning I don't know if you tuned it the standard way, meaning from the low e to the high e in that order. That's ok for a fixed bridge. Now, for a Floyd you should tune as follows: Low e first, then high e then b then a then g then d. This equals the tension balance of the strings. Also, it's good to stretch the strings before tuning. This method will require some patience and you will be adjusting the springs as needed. As another member mentioned it is so important to m evel with the body. For some players this sucks to hear but most Floyd rose or the like systems operate best with 9 gauge strings. Obviously, if you do like a heavier gauge you may have to add another spring. Vise versa, if you had heavy gauge strings and then went to light gauge you should have only 3 springs. If you still have tuning issues try new locking nut blocks, make sure the action is in reason. I own 4 old RG's and one S470qs and all of them stay in great tune. And some were abused so it does take patience to get them balanced. Once they are set right and elephant can hang on the wang bar it won't go out of tune.LOL!
s
PinkFloydRose53
#4 Posted : 11/19/2016 5:15:28 PM

Originally Posted by: PinkFloydRose53 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dawoustik Go to Quoted Post
Hi

3. Tightened the locks.
4. Did the fine tuning.

Please help!

What am I doing wrong?

When tuning I don't know if you tuned it the standard way, meaning from the low e to the high e in that order. That's ok for a fixed bridge. Now, for a Floyd you should tune as follows: Low e first, then high e then b then a then g then d. This equals the tension balance of the strings. Also, it's good to stretch the strings before tuning. This method will require some patience and you will be adjusting the springs as needed. As another member mentioned it is so important to m evel with the body. For some players this sucks to hear but most Floyd rose or the like systems operate best with 9 gauge strings. Obviously, if you do like a heavier gauge you may have to add another spring. Vise versa, if you had heavy gauge strings and then went to light gauge you should have only 3 springs. If you still have tuning issues try new locking nut blocks, make sure the action is in reason. I own 4 old RG's and one S470qs and all of them stay in great tune. And some were abused so it does take patience to get them balanced. Once they are set right and elephant can hang on the wang bar it won't go out of tune.LOL!
s
Forgot to mention, try to get the strings to stay close to pitch and ALWAYS KEEP BENDING THE WHAMMY BAR AS YOU TUNE. When the guitar stays close to pitch after bending the whammy bar, NOW it's time to tighten the blocks. This is the section where it takes lots of time so have patience and it will pay off.
Zenki200
#5 Posted : 11/25/2016 2:12:58 AM
Zenki200

Just a suggestion, you say that you tune the guitar up to pitch and then after a short time playing it goes flat and you have to retune it? I assume this is after using the whammy bar a bit? If this is the case then what happens if you pull up on the bar, do the strings then go back to near how you tuned them? If this is the case then this is a sign that your trem is not balanced correctly or possibly the knife enges are worn and the trem is not returning to correct pitch each time?
I got my RG370 (Edge Pro II unit)used and the trem unit was not sitting correctly and was slightly tilted "tail up" and I was getting this problem. The guy said he had blocked it off because he couldn't get it to tune correctly but removed the block to sell it?? I spent ages levelling it perfectly and realised that unless the unit was perfectly set it suffered this wandering tuning problem. It takes a fair bit of adjusting the spring claw and retuning but you get there eventually! It's more likely to be that than worn knife edges on the trem unless it has had severe abuse over the years! I think Bill posted a good guide on how to set up floating trems which is a tedious process but sadly it will not hold tune unless set up spot on.
#6 Posted : 3/15/2017 4:57:33 AM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.