Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Grooves in Edge Pro Saddles
nkqz
#1 Posted : 11/24/2016 10:46:00 PM

Groups: Member
Hi -- can someone please help me?
I have an RG1527M guitar and I just noticed that there are grooves developing in the little metal things on these saddles.

Here's a picture to show you what I mean.

Bridge detail

It's very obvious it's caused by the unwound strings only -- there are no groves in the wound string saddles.
Seems whatever metal / material this is for that part, it's not strong enough to withstand the wear from nickel plated steel strings having their tension being loosened / tightened constantly in a tremolo system.

The high E string saddle is really bad -- the big problem is whenever I do a really big bend I can actually hear and feel the string slipping out of the groove in the saddle and back again.
It makes bending nearly impossible and it makes me not even want to play this guitar anymore.

I can also see that the same thing is developing on the other unwound string saddles and they will eventually get just as bad.

So what can I do?

I don't think I should have to buy new saddles --- the saddles are perfectly fine aside from that tiny little metal roller piece.
Can that piece alone be replaced?

If so where can I buy them? I'll get like 10 of them just so I have them on hand because I definitely see this as a design flaw, and it obviously will happen again somewhere down the line as the guitar continues to be played.

Also, is this something that would be covered under warranty?

The previous Ibanez tremolo systems did not have these stupid tiny roller things on the saddles, and it looks like the current ones don't either...I don't want to sound pretentious here but I don't think I should have to pay for this.

This guitar isn't even that old, I bought it in 2010 brand new. Think
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 12/1/2016 3:42:04 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 389 post(s)
Hello,

As far as I know, I don't think these small pieces are available as a separate item by anyone. Unless you were able to find someone who is recreating just that part, or separating them from saddles to sell them separately. Otherwise, the only thing I can think to do is replace the entire saddle, unfortunately.

The Ibanez manufacturer warranty(in the US at least) is one year from the date of purchase, so this would be well outside of the warranty period. It is odd that I haven't heard this issue before though. Seeing that these tremolos were used on a larger number of instruments in the recent past, I'd expect this to come up as a more frequent issue.

Other than replacing these parts, or the saddle itself, it may be possible to use a round file to have them reshaped and take the grooves out of them. Honestly, I've never seen anyone try this, but it seems it might be possible with the right tools.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
nkqz
#3 Posted : 12/1/2016 8:51:36 PM

Sad face...

I ended up swapping all the wound saddles for the unwounds...It has solved the problem temporarily, but I have no doubt it will come back soon.
I can't understand what I could possibly be doing differently -- the unwound strings I use are all plain steel -- no alloy / cobalt or special coating on them, just regular slinkys.

I was thinking of maybe using a dremel to smooth them out, but at least now I have a guitar that's playable again.

I wouldn't mind buying new saddles if they were reasonably priced.
I can not fathom for the life of me why these are so expensive...

Just to give you a point of comparison, Original Floyd Rose saddles are $19.99 USD for a set of seven.
For the GraphTech Ghost saddles for an OFR that have Piezo pickups in them, it's around $150.00 USD for a set of seven....And again they have piezo pickups in them...lol.

I don't even see the Edge Pro saddles available on your website store -- http://shop.ibanez.com/c...es-and-tremolos_saddles

Can you comment on why that is?
Are they discontinued or something?

But the saddles you do have listed there ...Those prices are utterly ridiculous...I'm in shock just looking at them, mate.

30 dollars for ONE Edge Pro 2 saddle!? What is it made out of...Platinum!?

Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 12/2/2016 9:01:41 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 389 post(s)
Ibanez usually stocks their parts for a while, even after discontinuing the bridges themselves.

The USA Ibanez store website only lists a small portion of the parts that are available. I'm not sure why, but there are a lot of parts that are not listed for sale that we otherwise do have in stock.

The pricing listed on there is also the full retail price. This is equivalent to what you might call "MSRP". This is usually a higher price than what you would pay through a dealer/music store. If you buy direct from the distributor, they will charge the full retail price. You will likely get them for cheaper if you choose to order them through a Ibanez dealer/music store. That being said, yes they are definitely more expensive than floyd rose saddles. However, they are also more complicated:

All the pricing is set up through our parent company and unfortunately, we don't have too much control over it. I do agree that the prices are a bit high compared to other saddles.
nkqz
#5 Posted : 12/3/2016 3:30:17 AM

Thanks for the response...I will probably order some from Rich (IbanezRules) after Christmas.
I appreciate the information and all suggestions given to try to help, really.
Happy holidays mate.