Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5-way superswitch + push/pull for HH guitar.. similar to Herman Li's 'Egan' Ibanez?
P-Ride
#1 Posted : 12/1/2016 8:17:44 PM

Groups: Member
Hi, I have a PRS SE Custom 24 which I'm rewiring, ahead of taking it to Australia as my only guitar (planning to buy an Ibanez 7-string on arrival!).

The PRS has dual 4-wire humbuckers that I'd like to match with a versatile, although intuitive pickup selection system.

It currently has a 3-way switch and push-pull for coil selection, which is decent. Although I'd prefer a push-push as I find push-pull unfriendly.

A 5-way superswitch seemed the right tool for increased functionality and I've got one, plus a few pots.

I could easily choose the standard PRS USA 5-way blade wiring.

However, I struggle to believe there aren't cool, powerful options adding one or two push/pulls couldn't give me. Whether that's split-coils or, just other combinations, I remain open-minded.

However, I cannot find ANY 5-way superswitch + push/pull wiring diagrams.

I have, however, found Herman Li's Egan wiring, which combines a 5-way (superswitch?) with an HSH setup, which inspires me to think I must be able to find something for HH?

So simply removing the middle pickup seems to offer these tones. I've ringed the three that are either duplicates are muted, which still leaves 7 unique tones. And that's a pretty crude methodology.

Can anyone confirm this would work, or - better - offer an improved solution, for 9 or 10 unique tones?

Open to alternative ideas, for example using the pots for phase-switching, coil-splitting etc.

Here's the original wiring diagram.

Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 12/30/2016 3:24:40 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
I'd recommend checking out the Triple Shot by Seymour Duncan. This is a pickup ring with a multitude of switching options. Likely more options than most of the superswitch/push pull diagrams will give.

Otherwise, you may need to have someone draw up a wiring diagram from scratch to do what you want with 2 humbuckers.

Hope this helps,
-Bill