Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New SR300 from Roman Guitars
Eroot64
#1 Posted : 11/9/2016 7:15:16 AM
Eroot64

Groups: Member
Man
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In the past I have been guilty of complaining about living in a town (Las Vegas) without access to a quality guitar shop. Also stating the inability to find a qualified tech much less a luthier; I now humbly and happily eat my words. I recently found and visited a shop I can only describe as “Guitar Paradise” it is called Roman Guitars. I’m sure many of you have heard of these folks, I had not. For those that don’t know of them they hand manufacture truly beautiful instruments.
I found them via web search and they are located in an industrial park 15 min from my house right off the strip. The site suggested that it was best to call before a visit, which I did. The location is new and not fully open for retail, but with a knock at the front door I was admitted by the VP Scott and this is what I saw…

These photos are only a small part of the retail inventory that is made up mostly of NOS guitars of every brand and style. Scott gave me a brief history of Mr. Roman (now deceased) as he gave me a tour; one large showroom of the retail stuff and this room that consisted of all the handmade Roman guitars.

The base model was about 2.5k and they went up from there. They were truly works of art. I asked to see the production area and he agreed, he show me a room full of NOS parts, necks, bodies and electronics that Mr. Roman had acquired over many years. The back area had a curing room full of tones and exotics, the rest was wood working space with 2 builders and a tech (more of a luthier himself then anyone I had met previously). All the work was done by hand; they did show me a CNC that was being used for storage at the time he said with a laugh, they had hopes of perhaps producing a retail model in the future with it.
After seeing the level of instruments they had I was embarrassed to admit what I was looking for, but I came for a reason and got to it not wishing to waste any more of the man’s time. I was after a Bass that was under $500 (really less than that but I didn’t have the heart to ask for anything lower). Scott didn’t miss a beat and said I will give the same service to someone coming in with $200 to $10 k and I have several fine bass to show you. He showed me 4 NOS Ibanez each under $200 and that suggested one 2009 NOS with active pickups $400 with a nice soft case to boot. It was in perfect adjustment and flawless and just want I was looking for and could afford. I handed him my card and he called his tech out and handed it over to his asking me “do you have about 30 min, we always check the setup before we let one out the door. Do you want anything special, set up preference or string wise?” It felt fine as is was so I just said do whatever you feel best. About 30 min later the tech came out and Scott asked him how it looked, Bob (the tech ) said well would it be ok if I spent some more time on it I want to oil the board and there’s a few frets I would like to fine tune, would it be ok if I kept it till tomorrow.
I was flabbergasted I said hell yes take all the time you need (this was part of the sale price no extra charge.

Take that GC, Musicians friend and Sam Ash.
So to everyone here, most of who are real guitar connoisseurs, do yourself a favor and patronize this place, I have never experienced anything like it.
P.S. Thanks for the warm welcome and for the help I have received as a new member to this forum
1 user thanked Eroot64 for this useful post.
Schadenfreudian on 1/12/2017(UTC)
Schadenfreudian
#2 Posted : 1/12/2017 12:34:44 AM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hey, that was a really great story. The part about it that most interested ME was a comment he made about "going retail." Do you have any further news about it? If not I can always contact him on my own, relating this story.

BTW, I bought a 300E in "seashore burst" and rate it as my "go to" bass. I recently joined a group--they kinda gave me snarky looks when I showed up with the Ibanez (since I auditioned with a Warwick 5-string Corvette), but after the session was over the Ibanez 300 removed all doubt.
1 user thanked Schadenfreudian for this useful post.
Eroot64 on 1/12/2017(UTC)