Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
I am so guitarded! LOL
Rickrew
#22 Posted : 7/6/2016 12:21:02 PM
Rickrew

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Tracy, you own a lot of guitars. Do you have storage issues for that many😉?

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Oscar Schmidt OM-30/Mean 90s
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#23 Posted : 7/7/2016 3:11:03 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rickrew Go to Quoted Post
Tracy, you own a lot of guitars. Do you have storage issues for that many😉?

Rick

Um... Yeah... LOL

Had a sunny day after work yesterday so I snapped pics of my basses. A TMB-30 Talman short scale bass and a GSRM20B MiKro Bass. They are both great but I just love that Talman short scale bass to the moon and back.

The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
Tracy Dae
#24 Posted : 9/16/2016 1:09:04 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Got another one. This is to replace an AX320T I had to sell when I was unemployed. I've missed that guitar ever since I sold it. But now I have another one. I found this online in Guitar Center's used listings

I have also aquired a couple of new to me amps but I am already in my jammies now and didn't think to take them out for photos. LOL

Rickrew
#25 Posted : 9/28/2016 11:24:49 AM
Rickrew

I've always liked the look of this guitar. Sort of has that Les Paul double cut vibe to it, but with the locking nut and trem. Never owned a guitar with a locking nut, but I've heard people praise them for tuning stability.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#26 Posted : 10/2/2016 6:56:12 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
The AX body style is a great looking guitar. It's basically a crystal cut version of the Artist body style, which in case you didn't notice, I absolutely love the Artist. Haha

I haven't done much with this guitar yet. I got some of those W shaped tuner buttons and put those on it but that is all thus far. That work thing has been getting in the way of my personal projects. I bumped my Iceman up on my priority list cause I have a big Halloween gig coming up and I want to use my Iceman for that gig. It needs the frets redressed, mico-leveled and recrowned. The previous owner was either very heavy handed or used stainless steel strings - or both. I also want to install a Black TusQ XL nut on it, which I have already started and just need to sand it down to the proper height, polish it and glue it in. I've added a photo of that in process under the pic of the W shaped tuner buttons on the AX320T headstock. Due to time limitations I can only work on it a little at a time here and there but as soon as the Iceman is done and ready for the Halloween gig, I will start working on this AX320T.

Rickrew
#27 Posted : 10/3/2016 2:05:04 PM
Rickrew

When did you start working on your own guitars, and how did you learn? I want to do that too. Doesn't seem too difficult as long as you go slowly, reference a lot of experts, and start with cheap axes so you can make mistakes😉.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#28 Posted : 10/4/2016 4:08:55 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
It was born out of necessity and a strong need to tinker. We were not a poor family but we were not well off either. My Dad did the best he knew how and we always had what we needed but not always what we wanted. I received my first electric guitar as a Christmas gift when I was in the fourth grade. It was a short scale child’s guitar but I loved it. I was just reaching the point of understanding that some guitars just played better than others so I started tinkering around with mine… All through middle school and into high school I would buy yard sale guitars when I could and experiment on those. Setting up intonation with a pitch pipe is pretty hard – but it can be done. LOL

Anyways, I went into the Air Force after high school and they sent me through electronics training. I learned quickly that guitar electronics is pretty simple compared to the Air Force equipment I was being trained on. So the electronics part of it has always been really easy to me. Then at some point that I don’t remember Dan Erliwine published this book called “How to make your electric guitar play great”. I bought the book and started applying what I learned from it. Again using yard sale guitars as guinnea pigs. Over time I developed my own techniques and adopted some from others if I thought they worked better. Now I do setups and repairs as well as make cables and harnesses in my off hours to earn some extra cash. I’m still learning simply because I don’t want to stop.

Rickrew
#29 Posted : 10/4/2016 8:54:08 PM
Rickrew

Thx Tracy.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#30 Posted : 10/13/2016 10:47:34 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
I finally got a chance to start on the fretwork my MIK IC400 Iceman needed. they were worse than I thought. Especially the 7th fret. They are all good now but i did need to take a lot of metal off to get them good. Fortunately there was a lot of meat on them so I didn't have a fretless wonder on my hands when I was done. LOL

Oh and I installed the Black TusQ XL nut.

I also got some more of those W shaped tuner buttons so I could put them on my red MIK AR200. I put the Gotoh 510 fully locking bridge on it years ago.

Rickrew
#31 Posted : 10/14/2016 1:30:04 AM
Rickrew

The AR200 is a really nice looking guitar. Is it solid?

Rick
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#32 Posted : 10/14/2016 10:21:34 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Yes it is a solid body guitar - and a very solid gigging guitar. I used to use it a lot before I got that blue AR320.

It's not original. I put a pair of MIK Super 58's in it, Gotoh SG381 machine heads, Gotoh 510 fully locking bridge and a Quick Change III tailpiece. I didn't change the circuit much. Ibanez/Cort used reasonably decent pots back when these were made (98/99), so the pots are original. I did replace the internal leads that go from the pots to the switch then back to the output jack. I replaced that wire with vintage braided push back wire and installed a Switchcraft jack. Unfortunately a Switchcraft toggle will not fit in these but fortunately the switch Ibanez/Cort used on these has been a reliable switch. I've never had a problem with it.

I still haven't replaced the plastic nut but I certainly will one of these days. I thought about using Graphtec NuBone but I also have a stock of ivory 6060 TusQ XL nuts so I will probably put one of those on it... But first I must get the Iceman ready for a big Halloween gig that is coming up quick. LOL

Oh yeah, I have two more AR200's. The other two are black. I put an Ibanez Bigsby clone on one and Custom 58's in the other. I want to get the one with the Bigsby routed for a middle humbucker some day. Haha

Rickrew
#33 Posted : 10/15/2016 1:16:14 PM
Rickrew

Wish I had those skills. I can do the electronics mods and some minor adjustments to the neck, but have to have my luthier do the fret work.

I took my AS73-12 and LP dbl cut to him on Monday for fret leveling and set up. This should really make these two guitars play great.
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Rickrew
#34 Posted : 10/15/2016 2:46:05 PM
Rickrew

Do you have individual saddles for you 12-string?
AF75 TRS
AS73-12
Epi LP dbl cut w/p90s
Epi Nighthawk RI TA
Ovation 1984 1612
Fender Blues Deluxe
Tracy Dae
#35 Posted : 10/15/2016 5:20:07 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Not yet but it is on my wish list - as well as replacing the nut with an ivory TusQ XL and the machine heads Gotoh locking machine heads... I want to make a change to the circuit as well. Just add the ability to put the pickups out of phase with each other.

As it is now, it is working out fine. I would like to have the time and money to do those upgrades though.
Tracy Dae
#36 Posted : 10/17/2016 3:49:52 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Finally finished the fret work on my Iceman earlier today. I also got the wiring done. I just finished that a few minutes ago. The neck pickup circuit now has a push/pull pot on the tone control to switch it from standard series to parallel. The bridge pickup circuit now has a puch/pull pot on it's tone control that switches the pickups out of phase with each other.

I snapped the pics at the bottom as I was testing the neck pickup ciruit before moving on to the bridge pickup circuit. That tuning fork makes it possible for me to test the circuit without putting strings on the guitar.

It is now ready for strings and final testing before I close it up.
Tracy Dae
#37 Posted : 10/23/2016 6:23:38 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
The Iceman is finally done, plays fantastic and sounds amazing... Well, I plan on adding one more function but it will be quick and easy.

As you can see, there is plenty of room in this cavity to have some fun with the circuit. Last night I decided I would like a kill switch on this guitar and there is plenty of room to do it. I found a switch that will be perfect for this application - and discreet. The switch should arrive Wednesday or Thursday so I should have time to add this function before Friday nights Halloween gig.

Next week I will move on to getting back to work on the AS320T. Happy
Tracy Dae
#38 Posted : 11/6/2016 4:38:50 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Now that the AX320T is mostly done (It just needs to go to the shop for intonation), I want to show off both my AX320’s. The grey one on the left is an AX320H that was found completely stripped of all hardware and electronics. The AX320T on the right was found on GC's used guitar lists - and was in a pretty neglected state.

I found the AX320H years ago. It received a good high quality fret dressing which included micro-leveling and rounding of the fret ends. It received all Gotoh hardware, Gotoh vitage Kluson style machine heads, a Gotoh 510FB fully locking T.O.M. style bridge and a Gotoh tail piece. All nickel plated. No Hipshot though, so it's technically not an AX320H anymore, it's just an AX320 now. LOL. The pickups are Golden Age standard output pickups. The circuit is the Peavey T-60 circuit which has “Spin to Split” on the tone controls. When the tone controls are set between 7 and 10, the pickups are in single coil mode. From 0 to 7 the pickups are in humbucker mode. Additionally, the neck tone control is a push/pull pot that switches the pickups out of phase with each other.

I found the AX320T a few months ago. It was in very neglected shape. The board was dry as a bone. It also received a very high quality fret dressing that included micro-leveling and rounding the fret ends. The TRS Trem II was replaced with a Tacheuchi TRS Pro, which is a significantly better trem (and a drop-in replacement for the TRS Trem II). The OEM pickups were replaced with matched Artec LPDA200 pickups, which sound very much like vintage Ibanez Super 80’s. The circuit has push/pull pots on the tone controls. The neck tone control switches the neck pickup between series and parallel. The bridge tone control switches the pickups out of phase with each other.

Super Dave
#39 Posted : 12/9/2016 3:11:08 PM

Tracy, your collection is AMAZING!!!

I thought I might have a problem, but your collection makes me feel like an amateur. ;)
Tracy Dae
#40 Posted : 12/12/2016 5:32:12 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Originally Posted by: Super Dave Go to Quoted Post
Tracy, your collection is AMAZING!!!

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have more... A lot more... It's an addiction... LOL
Tracy Dae
#41 Posted : 1/14/2017 9:04:12 PM
Tracy Dae

Woman
The latest addition is a 2013 Guitar Center exclusive AR320 gold top that I bartered my way into this week. It needs repairs but I can fix it. The toggle switch is broken. The bridge tone control does not work. The treble strings buzz on frets 13, 15 and 18 and there is a gouge on the edge in the back. Well, I can fix everything but the gouge. The gouge doesn’t really bother me that much since I plan to gig with this guitar anyways. It is likely going to get more battle scars over time. Aside from it's problems, it sounds great. It was played and played a lot. There is just something about a used guitar that has been played a lot. They always sound better. It doesn't matter how old they are. What matters is how much were they played.

I snapped this pic as I was getting ready to replace the broken toggle switch and re-melt all the solder joints as well as check out why the bridge tone control does not work. Eventually this guitar will get a whole new harness, a full high quality fret dressing and Gotoh locking bridge and machine heads - and oh yes, a TusQ XL nut. I have almost everything I need readily available in my parts bins except the Gotoh locking machine heads. This morning I had a friend order a set of cheap IBZ machine heads with the W shaped tuner buttons off the bay. Those machine heads a really cheap and don't work very well but all I want off them is those W shaped tuner buttons. LOL