Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Help with identification of model
Zcb
#1 Posted : 1/24/2017 1:24:41 PM

Groups: Member
any one have idea what model is this? Thx a lot
image hosting site over 5mb
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 1/25/2017 1:42:49 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 378 post(s)
Is there a serial number on the back of the headstock? To me, it looks like it is from the 80s. Maybe a Blazer series? You can check out the catalog archives to try and find the model here:
http://www.ibanez.com/anniversary/index.html

Otherwise, if we find a serial number, we should be able to narrow down to what year it was from.
Mr. Abner
#3 Posted : 1/26/2017 11:07:06 AM

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Blazers had a different body shape, and most definitely a different headstock shape. I think this goes back even further, perhaps the '70s — maybe a Silver Series bass. (J-pickup rout is not original.) Oh, and it could have been replaced, but I think all Blazers came with brass bridges (two different styles — a light or a heavy version).

Any close ups of the headstock?

-Alex
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 1/26/2017 2:37:18 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 387 time(s) in 378 post(s)
Yeah, you're right.

Closest I found from the 70s was the 2367. However, these older basses had the old "Spaghetti" logo and not that newer Ibanez logo you see on the headstock:
http://www.ibanez.com/an...hp?cat_id=331&now=4

Mr. Abner
#5 Posted : 1/26/2017 4:45:55 PM

Hmmm... missed that page when searching the catalogs, all I could find was a rosewood boarded P-bass. That's true about the logo. And I also just noticed that the 2366 and 2367 have a white truss rod cover on the headstock, the bass in question has no cover on the headstock, and the adjustment is clearly visible at the heel end of the neck. There's even a notch in the body for it which does look factory original.

They don't look like the '70s machine heads, neither, though could easily be replacements.

Maybe it's not a real Ibanez?

Let's see some more closeup pics.

Edit: I take that back about the machine heads — looks like the same type on the 2366 and -67s.
Mr. Abner
#6 Posted : 1/27/2017 5:15:33 PM

Did a little more poking around... Can't find any Silver Series in the catalogs on the Ibanez site. I think they were out around 1977-78, but by 1978, Ibanez was putting out the first iterations of the Musician, Studio and Roadster series.

What I did notice after doing some Google image searches and poking around TalkBass is that the Silver Series did have the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck, and hence no truss rod cover on the headstock, and the rest was mounted on the top side as a thumb rest rather than the bottom side as a tug bar that the older P-types had (models 2366 and 2367). It looks like the holes are there for a thumb rest rather than a tug bar on the OP's body.

But still, even the Silver Series had the spaghetti Ibanez logo, followed by the words "Silver Series" on the headstock. Neck could have been refinished and new decal applied.

Serial number on the neck plate of a Silver Series should also tell the date of manufacture.