Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

JEM Jr QUestions
Opendome
#1 Posted : 2/7/2017 5:23:52 AM

Groups: Member
Hi everyone!

Found a decent deal on a JEM JR which I picked up, it was missing a truss cover so they knocked it down a decent amount. As with probably everyone else who gets a JR I got it as a project guitar haha. Going to eventually upgrade everything but as it doesnt have a truss cover thats probably the first thing to get. Are there different sizes of truss covers between the JEM JR and reg JEMs or the RG350s? Also I may as well get a new pickgaurd while Im at it and was wondering if a RG350MDX plate would fit?

Thanks!
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 2/7/2017 5:29:52 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 421 time(s) in 411 post(s)
The truss rod covers may be interchangable, but I haven't really tried myself. However, it may also be a different size than other truss covers. Unfortunately, no way to tell until you try it!

As for the pickguard, I'd assume the RG350M will not fit without some kind of modification. While its possible the screw holes line up, I'm not sure if the neck pocket cutout is the right size, along with the size of the tremolo cutout. If you do find a RG350 pickguard that you want to use, I would be prepared to cut/alter the pickguard and/or redrill new mounting holes into the gutiar to make it work. As an alternative, you could always send the pickguard to a custom pickguard manufacturer to make one out of a different material. pickguards.us and pickguardparadise.com are just 2 that I know of.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
Opendome on 2/7/2017(UTC)
Opendome
#3 Posted : 2/7/2017 9:09:32 PM

Thanks for the quick response! When I Contacted a pick guard manufacturer/seller on ebay I originally asked if he knew if a JEM truss rod cover/pick guard would fit a jem jr and he said

"Neither this guard or the truss rod cover will work. Most of my customers with Jem Jr models have been able to make my RG350MDX guards work but I make zero guarantees that any of my parts will be a perfect, drop in fit on the Indonesian models." Ive seen ltos of JEM JRs with the pearloid pickgaurd but its been really tough to find info on what they used or where they got it from.

Also I am planning to drop in a Gotoh Ge1996t which I understand is just a straight drop in with no hole drilling or anything like that. I was also wondering if anyone knew if the Gotoh GHL-2 locking nut would be a straight drop in or if the nut slot would need any filing/modification?

Thanks!!!
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 2/8/2017 2:31:07 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Like I mentioned above, a custom pickguard maker can use your current pickguard as a guide and make one to be a perfect fit. The 2 I linked were www.pickguards.us and www.pickguardparadise.com . You may get lucky if you buy an RG350 or JEM pickguard from somewhere, but just like the ebay seller, I wouldn't be able to make any claims as to whether or not it would work.

Hardware changing is a little different as well. If someone else has had experience with the parts you are referring to and tried it themselves, they'll be the only ones to say if it will or won't work as a drop in. That being said, Gotoh is pretty good about having their specs listed on their website. To be fairly certain if it will fit, I would take some measurements of your nut slot/spot and compare them to the specs listed on gotohs website:
http://g-gotoh.com/inter...ional/product/ghl2.html

Hope this helps!
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
Opendome on 2/11/2017(UTC)
Opendome
#5 Posted : 2/11/2017 12:53:41 AM

Thanks so much for your info! It looked like everything lined up correctly! Also on ebay I found an old ebay ad

Ibanez RG555 RG550 RG350 JEM JR WHITE ACRYLIC PICKGUARD

PICKGUARD PARADISE WHERE QUALITY COUNTS !

BRAND NEW RG555 OR JEM JR WHITE SOLID ACRYLIC PICKGUARD, that would look beautiful on your RG OR JEM guitar.THE EDGES ARE POLISHED UP TO A GLASS FINISH UNLIKE OTHER PICKGUARDS THAT SELL FOR CHEAPER ! All guards are made at Pickguard Paradise.

So this indicates that a RG555, RG550, RG350 and JEM JR all use the same pickgaurd. It says its made by pickgaurd paradise

Bill@Ibanez
#6 Posted : 2/13/2017 1:44:47 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Originally Posted by: Opendome Go to Quoted Post
So this indicates that a RG555, RG550, RG350 and JEM JR all use the same pickgaurd. It says its made by pickgaurd paradise

I would take this statement with a grain of salt, so to speak. There have been a few version of the JEMJR and RG350/550 and the pickguards can definitely differ from one version to the other. If you do end up pulling the trigger, I would check with the eBay seller to see what their return policy is in case it doesn't fit.