Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

How To Tighten Edge Tremolo Arm?
jathondelsy
#1 Posted : 12/13/2016 8:33:41 PM

Groups: Member
I have a pop-in Edge tremolo on my Ibanez guitar. With two new bushings on, it still is not tight enough. I have put a small piece of sellotape under the bushings, and this works to a degree, but it is still not as tight as I wish it. Does anybody have any effective solutions to this problem? On the Floyd Rose this is not a problem, as I can tighten the nut holding the arm and this holds the arm steady. It's a shame that Ibanez does not use a similar system.
Thanks, Jathon.
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 12/30/2016 2:15:13 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 411 time(s) in 401 post(s)
The EDGe and LoPro EDGE really rely on these bushings to have enough torque/tightness. Some other Ibanez trems use different kinds of tightening mechanisms, but I agree that the original EDGE style leaves it a bit tough if the bushings alone don't cut it.

Some would suggest replacing the bushings with new ones, or then even adding some kind of tape to fill out the space like you mentioned below. I haven't done any extensive testing on this issue as most of the Ibanez guitars with these trems had a decent fitting trem arm that wasn't too loose for my preferences. I'd probably be playing around with different tape to try and fill it out more if needed. Hopefully someone else here might have experience they can share!

-Bill
chisorg1570
#3 Posted : 1/1/2017 8:54:06 PM
chisorg1570

I use nail polish under the bushing, I mean I remove the bushings paint the metal, let it dry and put the bushings again. hope it helps!
shpoderoso
#4 Posted : 2/3/2017 4:57:59 PM

I have a similar tremolo arm setting problem.
I bought a new Kiko10p that has Edge Zero II tremolo arm system.
I tried to insall the tremolo arm but the cap bushing only screw about half and it does not tighten the arm at all.
Is Edge Zero II supposed to be like this? Any solution?
Bill@Ibanez
#5 Posted : 2/3/2017 5:39:59 PM
Bill@Ibanez

I would be careful of the trem arm you have. If you bought the guitar off of the wall from a music store, you may have been given the wrong model tremolo arm. Sadly, there are many music stores that don't keep good track of the accessories that came with the display guitars.

Your arm should look exactly like this, with a screw cap and a white bushing attached:

When you put this tremolo arm into the socket and tighten, you should be able to tighten it enough to make the tremolo arm tighter. If it doesn't, I'd think you either have the wrong arm or are missing that bushing.

Hope this helps,
-Bill
shpoderoso
#6 Posted : 2/3/2017 10:29:36 PM

Thakn you Bill.

I bouhgt my guitar from Musicians Friend and my tremolo arm exactly looks like that.
Nothing appears to be missing. Maybe I put the arm into the socket/bushing in a wrong way.
I will try again tonight and keep you posted.
Thank you again!
shpoderoso
#7 Posted : 2/6/2017 7:45:39 PM

Dear Bill or any other Ibanez experts,
I again installed the arm but the arm does not get tightened at all such that it freely rotates 360 degree without any torque even if the cap busing is fully screwed down.
The tremolo arm included in the guitar looks exactly shown in the picture you posted and everything seems to be new.
Can't really figure out what went wrong. I have asked Musifician's Friend but was only told to exchange it with a new one. (but my model is currently unavailble). Any advice to fix this problem?
Thank you.

Sung.

Bill@Ibanez
#9 Posted : 2/7/2017 6:06:58 PM
Bill@Ibanez

The only fix I could think of is to try another tremolo arm. It should get to the point where it tightens all the way and becomes tighter. The arm would stay in place and not swing freely at that point.

It sounds like it is either one of 2 things.
  1. The tremolo arm or bushing is bad/wrong and you would need a replacement tremolo arm.
  2. The tremolo arm socket is bad/wrong and you would need a new tremolo/socket.

The Tremolo arm part # is 2TRX5BD001. You could try to ask if the dealer can get another tremolo arm for you. There is no way to fix the problem to my knowledge other than replacing parts and giving it a shot.
shpoderoso
#10 Posted : 2/14/2017 10:17:25 PM

Dear Bill,
I contacted Musician's Friend to ask for a new tremolo arm but was told that they will place an inquiry to Ibanez and asked to wait until they hear from Ibanez, which may take forever.
I have seen some postings about similar issues with Edge Zero II and also about taping the arm to increase the torgue/tightness. Where exactly should I tape the tremolo arm? Would it be below the white plastic bushing or upper? Any advice will be apprecated!
Thank you.
Bill@Ibanez
#11 Posted : 2/15/2017 1:44:54 PM
Bill@Ibanez

If you wanted to tape the arm, you would do it below the white bushing. This will fill out the empty space between the arm socket and tremolo arm inside the bridge.

Otherwise, the torque cap should tighten enough to keep it from swinging. If this isn't happening, there is definitely something wrong with the tremolo or arm.
shpoderoso
#12 Posted : 2/15/2017 8:54:20 PM

Thank you Bill. You are awesome.