Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

1986 Proline questions
showpony4
#1 Posted : 3/6/2017 4:31:15 AM
showpony4

Groups: Member
Hi everyone - first post to this forum

I have a 1986 Proline 1770 I've owned since new in 1986.
Love it.

Like many I've seen, however, the original lacquer has taken on a green tinge, giving the body other than under the scratch plate a horrid greenish glow:
img=https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP_Ek9UMnCMTJk9-eJsqyZr_6Bk9MDxcfiALajU617tr_g_OhdZVHDf3yKRBWUyYw/photo/AF1QipO60SW5FaemT9jflYzg4HCDDopikMiICNtpjkFQ?key=NC1mbGhGeDRpZktBQVlrWEU2aGJuYVpsLXZZaEt3[/img]

while it originally looked like this:
[img=https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP_Ek9UMnCMTJk9-eJsqyZr_6Bk9MDxcfiALajU617tr_g_OhdZVHDf3yKRBWUyYw/photo/AF1QipOCVH6AsHc8XwdqaEeCVALotXq4p3j1E8pcrfKf?key=NC1mbGhGeDRpZktBQVlrWEU2aGJuYVpsLXZZaEt3]original[/img].

I've often thought about finding a way to get the lacquer off without damaging the original paintwork and putting a new clear one on but I've thought that this would be very difficult....if not impossible. I do want to restore/retain the original look but would rather put up wth the green tinge than change it completely.

Now, however I have found a pl1770 body in the original silver pearl with no apparent green tinge.

So my questions:

1. Does anyone know (or have a theory as to ) why some of these went green and some didn't?

2. Any views on whether it would be easier to swap a replacement body into my existing guitar vs getting the lacquer off (without damaging the original finish underneath) - and what method I should use.

and finally - as I also have the possibility of getting an original PR1660 neck (from the same product line in 1986) which looks similar in profile and construction, I thought if I got that and the body I could swap the body onto my 1770, and then make a custom/frankenstein project out of the 1660 neck and original 1770 body - and it wouldnt matter if I changed the finish then as it wouldnt be original any way. so ...

q.3 Does Anyone know if there would be a fit problem between the PR1660 neck and the 1770 neck pocket?

any expertise gratefully received!

thanks
showpony4 attached the following image(s):
showpony4 attached the following image(s): pl1770b-green.jpg
showpony4 attached the following image(s): original.jpg

Scott

1986 PL1770
1986 Roadstar II 420
1991 Jem77BFP
2013 Premium S970
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 3/6/2017 2:29:29 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
  1. The best theory I've read so far would be UV light affecting the finish. The pickguard blocking the UV light from the finish underneath would explain why the finish under the pickguard is fine, while the rest has faded. I think it is also possible that some guitars got more UV light than others over the years and this led to some being different colors.
  2. Sanding through the clear coat and not disturbing the finish would be VERY difficult, or impossible. I wouldn't try it unless you are planning on sanding through the ENTIRE finish and refinishing. Even then, this would be a lot of work.
  3. The necks look different in these 2 catalogs. The PR1660 looks to have a rounded bottom and the PL1770 looks square. I honestly don't know for sure if it will be a problem. I would usually recommend asking someone to take precise measurements of the neck at the heel to see if the sizing lines up with what you have.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
showpony4 on 3/9/2017(UTC)
showpony4
#3 Posted : 3/9/2017 2:38:23 AM
showpony4

Groups: Member
Thanks for the reply Bill.

in response:
1. does that mean you have seen this discussed elsewhere (and it is a common problme with this model?). I don't think it is UV light as the effect is uniform (the reason the pickguard is different is the colour is put directly on the back of the pickguard whch is clear - so no clear coat involved on that bit.
2. yes thats what I thought (never done a re-furbish myself!)
3. Good spot re the rounded bottom - I don't think I'll risk wit with that idea then. Turns out the body I found is the Gold Pearl which is no more appealing to me than the current green tinge. I want the original silver pearl look back! So I think I will leave this alone and keep hunting for a second hand intact pl1770 (or one of the more rpemoum models with a number over 2000) instead!

Scott

1986 PL1770
1986 Roadstar II 420
1991 Jem77BFP
2013 Premium S970
Bill@Ibanez
#4 Posted : 3/9/2017 2:01:43 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
No problem,

Yes, this problem has been discussed in many online forums and such. This is not specific to this model, but is a common occurrence with the clear coats they put on guitars and drums. This google search brings up a lot of results:
https://www.google.com/s...eid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, the bit about the pickguard was meant to point out that the finish under the pickguard is probably still the original color. This is because the pickguard shields that part of the clear coat from any light/air/etc. and prevents it from yellowing. There is indeed a clear coat applied to the body of the guitar under the pickguard, as they usually finish the guitar as a whole before installing the pickguard or any hardware.

Hope this helps!