Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Analysis/Thoughts on Korean Prestiges? Consensus?
DanzoStrife
#1 Posted : 2/4/2017 6:32:27 AM

Groups: Member
I'd like to know what your thoughts of the Korean Prestiges are like. Anyone have a good analysis on fretwork, materials, longevity (corrosion? after short or quick?) consistency and first hand experience?

I want to know if it lives 100% or 80% to the quality of Japan. Or even possibly better?

Thanks ;)
Alex4R
#2 Posted : 3/29/2017 2:59:32 AM
Alex4R

Groups: Member
Man
Based on the Korean prestige I've played (it's been a while) but I remember my main nitpicks being the thicker body (which also seemed slightly off from Japanese versions) and either the heel of the neck was too thick, or the neck pocket wasn't routed deep enough because the neck stuck out of the body pretty far making upper fret access uncomfortable. The bridge and pickups had to be adjusted a lot higher to compensate as well. I also seem to remember the Korean Wizard II prestige fretboards having a 400mm radius, which some folks claimed to be a mismatch to the 430mm baseplate of the trem systems of the time. I don't know how accurate that was, but I didn't notice it. Cant really speak for materials or durability as I opted out of the prestige models during that time.

All that said, I would obviously take the Japanese over Korean prestige, but I would even consider trying out some of the newer Indonesian models like the Premium or Iron Label. I bought a Six6 the end of last year and was pleasantly surprised, it is night and day better than the Korean models I remember.
'15 PWM100 | '91 FGM100-PS #977 | '00 S520-WNF |'01 & '02 S1520FB-NT Prestige