Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Rosewood fretboard restrictions
graphomet
#1 Posted : 4/5/2017 1:53:04 PM

Groups: Member
Hi forum.

I was recently notified by a sales shop in Japan, that they could not sell me Ibanez models which had rosewood fret boards due to a new international law/regulation (CITES)
And then I followed up on this new regulation reading further more in detail saw its considered endangered wood species.

I have read that Ibanez is not keen on Ebony fret boards due to the fact they are more expensive and also over the years observed that ebony
is more prone to cracking.

So I have noticed lately Ibanez having models with more ebony fret boards. So does this mean more and more Ibanez models would have more ebony fret boards in order to
comply with international standards when it comes to exporting world wide?

Thank you.

Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/5/2017 2:06:46 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
We started using a bit more Ebony in the Iron Label series and other guitars sometime over the last year or two, but I don't believe it is in relation to the recent CITES regulations.

This page explains the situation well. As of January 2nd, they added Rosewood and some species of Bubinga to the endangered wood list that restricts international shipping without the proper paperwork. These woods can be shipped internationally, but they need to be accompanied by paperwork detailing the source of the woods used. This has caused major delays in the Music industry and even the furniture industry, but should be cleared up once manufacturers obtain all of the correct paperwork for these woods/products.

It is also worth mentioning that personal instruments don't really have the same restrictions. Someone traveling with their own guitar internationally shouldn't have an issue unless it has more than 22 lbs of the endangered wood in it.

Hope this helps!
-Bill
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
graphomet on 4/5/2017(UTC)
graphomet
#3 Posted : 4/5/2017 3:15:56 PM

Groups: Member
Hi Bill, and thanks for your reply.

I'm currently on the verge coming to Ibanez after playing with PRS for some time now. So I'm digging into some cool Ibanez models to make
my first buy after a long time. The Saber series and RG PRESTIGE models are most appealing to me, so hopefully within the year I'll purchase
a great crafted instrument.

Kind regards.