Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Mod to ibanez/bigsby roller
coolvibeguy
#1 Posted : 2/14/2017 9:54:04 AM
coolvibeguy

Groups: Member
Man
Hi Guys
Yes, another Mod to my Ibanez
seems I cant help myself
This Mod needs some precision machining. So not everyone can do this but you can definitely have it done.
The Idea behind the Mod is in "theory because the difference in string diameter there will be a difference in the way the strings are tension ed when using the tremolo arm. By this I mean the 0.046" because is thicker than than than the 0.010" wrapped around the same diameter tremolo shaft the torque will be slightly more as well as the travel will be more, but all the strings are all binding over the same roller.So in theory there will be some small amount of disproportion in the strings possibility leaving a sting a little high or a little low.
Again only in Theory.
So by having each string going over its independent roller allowing each string to relax or stiffen according to what one is busy doing on the guitar, I'm hoping for more stability in tuning.

Will be fitting this afternoon. Or tomorrow as the valentines fairy might see the need for a special dinner.

Craig's the name coolvibeguy is my disposition
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 2/14/2017 2:11:34 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
Wow, that's fancy!

I think your theory is sound in that different tensioned strings may pull a different distance in regard to each other. Not sure how much of a difference there would be, or if this mod will change too much, but I'd be intrigued to know the results!

-Bill
coolvibeguy
#3 Posted : 2/14/2017 4:23:02 PM
coolvibeguy

Man
Ok so here's proving the theory.
First I pulled and fixed the tremolo arm as far as possible then drew a straight line across the rollers

Then I pushed the tremolo arm down as far as possible, look at the marks now!

Then after seriously working it ( which I'm certain no one does) look at it now. Does that pattern look familiar..... like a acoustic bridge.
Ok so this is just the working of a therory does the new individual rollers have any real noticeable improvements to the tuning or quality in tone while making some shadows sounds. I don't know yet but will keep you posted.

Dick Foster
#4 Posted : 2/16/2017 5:20:33 PM
Dick Foster

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 67 post(s)
A great idea but it seems to me for that idea to be truly effective the ID difference would have to be made where the strings attach to the rear bar so you'd have to machine a stepped bar where the string grommets/ballends drop over the pegs.

While you have the thing apart you might look as some changes I made to the handle or what some call the whammy bar. The way mine came from the factory it was galling when the handle rotated so I added some flat washers so it moves smoothly and with out wear. I also got rid of the stop that prevents putting the bar where you want it. I still have not figured out why or had anyone tell me why they put a stop there to keep the handle from rotating all the way around. With it rotate to any position you can pick and bend at the same time with your pinky wrapped round the handle. I wrote it all up a long time ago.
Tracy Dae
#5 Posted : 2/17/2017 5:15:05 AM
Tracy Dae

Woman
Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Not a theory. It’s a hypotheses – but I really like this idea. Happy
The mind is like a parachute...
...It only works when its open.
coolvibeguy
#6 Posted : 2/22/2017 10:08:13 PM
coolvibeguy

Man
I did a rethink on D.Foster suggestion and this is what I came up with.I also did a few more mods while I had the whole Vibrato System off.
I ditched the smaller spring that puts pressure on the arm as its just make the arm feel really wobbly, replaced it with bush and fiber washer and a locking nut. I did have to lap it in to get rid of the tight spots, but now its free and no wobbly.
I machined a complete new shaft for the tremolo shaft, which has also done wonders as the shaft can spin in the needle roller as there is no drag or binding.

Dick Foster
#7 Posted : 2/22/2017 11:30:37 PM
Dick Foster

Now that look like it will have the desired effect.
coolvibeguy
#8 Posted : 4/10/2017 3:56:47 PM
coolvibeguy

Man
NEXT
Just for kicks I made a new tremolo arm, the new arm is a half inch longer than the original and 1/16 thicker but tapering off to a knife blade. Added the grove for style.

Dick Foster
#9 Posted : 4/11/2017 9:32:12 PM
Dick Foster

Originally Posted by: coolvibeguy Go to Quoted Post
NEXT
Just for kicks I made a new tremolo arm, the new arm is a half inch longer than the original and 1/16 thicker but tapering off to a knife blade. Added the grove for style.

Looks nice and yet another way to get rid of that pesky stop. I still haven't figured out why they did put the stop on it to limit rotation and no one else seems to know either.