Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

V7 V8 pickup issue
PinkFloydRose53
#1 Posted : 4/1/2017 9:16:49 PM

Groups: Member
Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello Iba fans. Quick question. I installed the V7 V8 pups in my 1994 RG370 (well, that's what's printed on the neck where it joins the body had to take the neck off). Anyways, The first,third, and fifth positions work full and awesome. The second and fourth positions sound like they are only using one coil from either the neck or the bridge. When in the second position I believe it should use one coil from the neck with the middle single coil. From the fifth position it should use one coil from the bridge with the middle single coil. In the second or forth positions the volumes obviously, are lower and they sound super thin. What the hell did I do wrong?? Any words of advise would be greatly appreciated. Rock on!
Bill@Ibanez
#2 Posted : 4/3/2017 6:11:05 PM
Bill@Ibanez

Groups: Moderator, Administration
Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 399 post(s)
the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th positions should definitely sound a little thinner since it is giving single coil output:

If the 3rd position sounds fine and the 2nd and 4th aren't right, I'd guess that something is out of phase and causing some wierd sound cancellation! If it happens in BOTH 2nd and 4th positions, I'd say the easiest fix would be to reverse the center pickup. Move the hot wire to the ground and ground to hot. That will reverse the direction of current and hopefully fix any phase issues.
1 user thanked Bill@Ibanez for this useful post.
PinkFloydRose53 on 4/3/2017(UTC)
PinkFloydRose53
#3 Posted : 4/3/2017 10:27:41 PM

Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post
the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th positions should definitely sound a little thinner since it is giving single coil output:

If the 3rd position sounds fine and the 2nd and 4th aren't right, I'd guess that something is out of phase and causing some wierd sound cancellation! If it happens in BOTH 2nd and 4th positions, I'd say the easiest fix would be to reverse the center pickup. Move the hot wire to the ground and ground to hot. That will reverse the direction of current and hopefully fix any phase issues.
Hey Bill thanks so much for the pup info. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. The 2nd and 4th sound like they are out of phase. I know it should thin but it's an odd thin the volume has dropped and it sounds nasally? Thanks again I will work on her as soon as I can. Rock on!!Clap
PinkFloydRose53
#4 Posted : 4/12/2017 9:51:01 AM

Originally Posted by: PinkFloydRose53 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bill@Ibanez Go to Quoted Post

Hey Bill thanks so much for the pup info. Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. The 2nd and 4th sound like they are out of phase. I know it should thin but it's an odd thin the volume has dropped and it sounds nasally? Thanks again I will work on her as soon as I can. Rock on!!Clap
Hey Bill, you were spot on. Switched the wires and BLAM! Tonal Bliss! Thanks so much! and Rock on!
1 user thanked PinkFloydRose53 for this useful post.
Bill@Ibanez on 4/13/2017(UTC)