Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Greetings! and a bad PU switch
houseofcharm
#1 Posted : 8/7/2014 12:03:56 AM

Groups: Member
Hi all, always been a fan of the montage and finally bought one very clean on fleabay. Worked fine for a few months with little playing, had it set up at jay Wolfe in Jupiter FL and brought it home to having only 2 acoustic channels working and both dirty channels with just 1 sound. I was aware of the PU probs these have(found a new black one at a local shop and it was bad before it was ever sold) so I bought it with eyes wide open, like buying a vintage Jaguar.

The tuner works and the EQ but I can't discern much form the notches. I'll try all the modes and report back.

RIX
#2 Posted : 8/7/2014 12:52:30 AM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Houseofcharm,

I also own a Montage and enjoy playing it and I have not had any problems with he pickup. You might check out the link below it is my response to a similar problem with a EW guitar. There maybe helpful information in it for you.

http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst89325_Pickup-Issue.aspx

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Originally Posted by: houseofcharm Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, always been a fan of the montage and finally bought one very clean on fleabay. Worked fine for a few months with little playing, had it set up at jay Wolfe in Jupiter FL and brought it home to having only 2 acoustic channels working and both dirty channels with just 1 sound. I was aware of the PU probs these have(found a new black one at a local shop and it was bad before it was ever sold) so I bought it with eyes wide open, like buying a vintage Jaguar.

The tuner works and the EQ but I can't discern much form the notches. I'll try all the modes and report back.

RIX
houseofcharm
#3 Posted : 8/7/2014 1:32:14 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen a few montages with this same problem, the new one as mentioned and some FS with 1/2 working PUs. My problem is the same as theirs and not as the one in the link. I will fiddle with the cords, try both jacks which I haven't yet but fear the worst. A fresh battery also but that would seem to affect all PU functions.

And does anyone's tuner work unplugged? mine only works plugged in to an amp.
RIX
#4 Posted : 8/7/2014 3:32:12 PM
RIX

Man
Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Do you have acoustic or electric guitar strings on your guitar?

Check out this link and see if this helps; my reply is toward the bottom.

http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postst89001_Interesting-question-350BK-vs-750NT-----pls-answer.aspx

And yes my tuner works without having to be plugged into an amp and without a cable having to be plugged into the guitar's output jack. BTW my Montage is a 2010 model.

Originally Posted by: houseofcharm Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen a few montages with this same problem, the new one as mentioned and some FS with 1/2 working PUs. My problem is the same as theirs and not as the one in the link. I will fiddle with the cords, try both jacks which I haven't yet but fear the worst. A fresh battery also but that would seem to affect all PU functions.

And does anyone's tuner work unplugged? mine only works plugged in to an amp.

RIX
#5 Posted : 12/31/2015 3:51:16 PM
Groups:
Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Message was deleted by a Moderator.
houseofcharm
#6 Posted : 4/15/2017 3:59:00 PM

OK, in a threadsurrection, I've not approached my PU problem since my last post as I have 19 others to play but would like to know if any progress has been made in this pandemic issue with Montages. I see Ibanez lists a replacement switch for the Montage and wonder if it's a switch problem which kind of doubt. Any news that anyone's aware of?

cheers,

jeff